Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 4:23 AM
luv it

Live.. Laugh.. Injoy Life....
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 6th May 2007 at 1:02 PM
[QUOTE=KatWyld]A very nice tutorial... now I wanna go build some houses. Thankfully, I have a new neighborhood that's mostly empty.

Yeah, I have a new 'hood at my dads house but the laptop keeps crashing whenever I try to load it! lucky i have a PC at home.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 20th May 2007 at 6:22 AM
Good to hear this is still giving members some inspiration! Keep up the nice work

Formerly known as boolPropped
Test Subject
#54 Old 27th May 2007 at 4:55 AM
im still wondering how you made the corners of you house on the outside different then how you have the rest???

*HELP PLEASE*
lol
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 31st May 2007 at 2:40 AM
The corners are simply a different wall. Look for it in your Build Mode, and Im pretty sure it came with OFB.

Field Researcher
#56 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 8:49 AM
Even though I am a terrible builder, I never use auto roofs and rarely CC-houses. Not only because I like originality, but also to develop my building skills. Try playing around and experimenting! It works worlds.

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Instructor
#57 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 11:37 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 13th Jun 2007 at 6:09 PM. Reason: Found the answer!
I was wondering if anyone uses premade floor plans like from www.houseplans.com or something? If you do, how do you translate square feet into sim squares?

Updated: By the way - your tut rocks!!! I have the toughest time with the roof - especially when I attempt to follow the afore mentioned floor plans.

Updated 2nd time - I found the answer! Sorry, I should have searched under different terms prior to posting this. Searching for house plans and floor plans didn't get it for me. LOL.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 7:56 AM
Thank you for this, even though the roofs are still a royal pain in the butt for me. I stopped making rectangular buildings since Sims 1 *g* but it never comes out like I want it to. I prefer one storey houses big enough for family, yet these houses are rare so I have to build them myself.

Aslo I'm terrible at landscaping. I usually play with all the walls down so when I have a trees around it's a bit tedious to rotate every time to see. And too many flowers/shrubs+trees slow my game down considerably. D'oh.

Any tips at gardening stuff?
Test Subject
#59 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 4:42 PM Last edited by Bladetheninja : 5th Aug 2007 at 7:05 PM.
Great tutorial! I almost always have troubles with roofs

One question though: How did you get all those roof types?

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't read all the comments first, sorry!
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 6th Aug 2007 at 6:44 PM
I think those corner walls came with an earlier expansion than OFB, actually -- seeing as I don't have OFB but I have those walls. :]

Great tutorial by the way! :D
Test Subject
#61 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 8:18 AM
Wndy26,
What was the answer to the question? I've been wondering for ages how to convert what I see in a floorplan book to what's on a sim lot, esp considering usually it comes out too big or too small, or the wall/floor/garage layout isn't possible or above my mediocre building skills.

What did you search for to get an answer? "square footage to sim footage"???

Quote: Originally posted by wndy26
I was wondering if anyone uses premade floor plans like from www.houseplans.com or something? If you do, how do you translate square feet into sim squares?

Updated: By the way - your tut rocks!!! I have the toughest time with the roof - especially when I attempt to follow the afore mentioned floor plans.

Updated 2nd time - I found the answer! Sorry, I should have searched under different terms prior to posting this. Searching for house plans and floor plans didn't get it for me. LOL.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 1:32 PM
sperkins921... The only way I measure my floorplans is by relating a Sim to one square.

For example when a Sim is standing still, he only takes up one square on the grid. That means that rooms dont really need to be 50x30 squares - thats entirely too large for a Sim who only takes up one little square!

Also I make sure to count the number of grid squares each object takes up and build my room sizes around that as well. For example, the smallest bathroom you could make (completely functional) with a toilet, bathtub/shower, sink and door would be 3x2 squares. Thats it!

I really prefer to make my Sims' houses smaller than bigger, so most of my rooms are highly efficient as they relate to functionality and size. Play around with it! It takes time to really master the size and shapes of certain rooms, but once you find something that works for you it will be worth it

Test Subject
#63 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 7:39 PM
Another good approximation: a (regular) door is one square. Or 1 meter is one square. Since you can't divide the squares, it's always going to be an approximation.
Test Subject
#64 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 4:40 PM
This is a wonderful tutorial

It's really helped me manage to make houses that aren't hideous and don't use the same roof's as all the other houses my sims are living in. Thank you for taking the time to do it. <3.

If only there was a tutorial like this for family homes, small homes I can deal with. But for three or more sims? My houses end up horrible. But hopefully I’ll improve, especially with the help of this tut.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 3rd Sep 2007 at 4:53 PM
Heh, that boxy, boring little house sure brings up some memories... I remember, back when I used to make all my houses myself *gulp* All my houses looked like that!
This tutorial was great, though, it was really nicely written, explains things well, and it really makes me want to start building! It'll be nice to be able to build my own houses, so I won't have to download tons of houses anymore and hope one of them fulfills all my dreams. Thank you for this awesome tutorial!
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 11:18 AM
Got to add my thanks here too, even though I didn't learn much new. It was very interesting to see how easy it is to make such a prettyfull house! Very inspiring.

So it looks like I'm stuck here forever on this floating island with Sarah and Skeleton Harvester.
Test Subject
#67 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 9:09 PM
Oh my gosh... Your boring house looked exactly like ALL my sims houses lol but the second one was AMAZING!! Do you have it available for download on this website?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 3:54 AM
NatalieA9... Thanks for reading. I dont have the "after" house up for download at this time. But its not that hard to replicate - try it yourself! That is what this tutorial is for after all

Theorist
#69 Old 17th Feb 2008 at 12:52 PM
Just a little question, when you place furniture inside your house I've seen some people put them diagonally. Does anyone know how they do this?

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 1:36 AM
Bring up the cheat console (CTRL+SHIFT+C) and type in:

boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true

Then use the < and > to move the furniture diagonally.

Test Subject
#71 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 3:44 AM
Found this tutorial via the S2C forum. Thank you so much for this, boolPropped! I actually managed to make a house that wasn't a big square with a unreal roof. I'm so proud of it, I even took a picture of it : here

I'm still a bit wonky on the roofs, but it's much better than my previous attempts. Thanks again!

--Josie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 7:09 AM
Hey Josie, glad I helped! Your house looks pretty good - the doors, windows and exterior go together very well

Lab Assistant
#73 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 9:47 PM
I keep coming back to this tut. it's so good, i even printed it out and but it in my sims 2 binderi tried to replicate this house but i failed miserably so is there any way you could upload the house? thanks,

Evil Plumbob.

P.S: jose, i love the house you made! it was beutiful!!!

May good fortune rule over you,
peace lie in your heart,
and the stars watch over you
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 6:31 AM
Evil Plumbob... Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found it useful. I have long lost the original tutorial house, so I won't be uploading it. But try replicating it again, it could be a good challenge for you! (HINT: count the squares for exact dimensions)

Lab Assistant
#75 Old 19th May 2008 at 8:55 PM
Thank you very much i needed something like that marvelouse tutorial.
Page 3 of 5