Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 9:38 PM
Default So many programs . . .
I am vaguely familiar with the more popular user-created Sims programs, but I'm fairly clueless as to what I can do with each one.

Tell me what uses YOU have found for these programs:
Delphy's Downloads Organizer: http://modthesims.info/d/227925
Sims2Pack Clean Installer: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/ SimPE (might be too much to list): https://sims.ambertation.de/en/
Bodyshop: (comes with the game but you've gotta know where to look to find it)

Me
Delphy's Downloads Organizer: Look for orphans and view 2-dimensional images of the item (which sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't)

Clean Installer: Open Sim2Pack files. I let it unpack the files, dump them into the main body of Downloads folder, then I move them into subfolders. I know people swear by this program, but for me, it's just an extra layer of packing that I can do without. So, I'm obviously not using it correctly.

SimPE: changing Sim personalities, skills, favorite hobby, etc. using the SimBrowser option. Yesterday, I attempted to change a stove's hunger value from 1 to something higher. I think I did it, but I have no clue if I made it a 3 a 10 or something in between, and the description still says Hunger 1. Soon, very soon, I'm going to sit down and go through the newbie tutorials listed here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...vel_1_Tutorials (I know there is a modding section on this site. I've peeked in, but found it all a bit overwhelming -- for now.)

Bodyshop: I've only used this twice, and both times all I did with it was what I could do in-game with the CAS options. I read about people using it all the time, so it obviously does something more than CAS.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 9:54 PM
Delphy's Downloads Organizer: Counting my files, (lol) finding duplicate. I rarely run it.

Clean Installer: Cleaning up the lots I build & pack. Installing Lots I download from other simmers. This is rare I download Lots

SimPE: Ouf....Everything? Further edit my Sims, and creatingz. (clothes-objects-decor-hacks/mods-walls & floors edits, if I have to) It is opened as I type

BodyShop: Clothes and Sims creating. I LOVE this program. It's my favorite. I love creating simmies in there, that I will move to my 'Hood later.
I also use it frequently alongside Sim Surgery(simpe), to create identical twins, or just to give a new look to an already existing sim. Ask me anytime!
This tool is also the base for all my clothing creation, as everything starts there! Was opened just before I started typing here.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:04 PM
I rarely use CleanInstaller as I hardly ever download lots or sims.

I mostly use BodyShop to create recolors of existing outfits, like some basic recolors of the mens' swim trunks, the outerwear, a couple more colors for the ladies undies, just very simple stuff. Hue/Saturation changes, for those who use graphics programs.

I use SimPE to change prices on CC I've downloaded (that sofa doesn't need to cost 2000 and that bed should cost more than 100), to create object recolors with the help of UV mapper and my fave graphics program, and lately to remove dorm keys from dormies so they will populate the new dorm instead of being "stuck to" a dorm with no playable residents. I've also used it to edit memories, relationships and skills.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:18 PM
Delphy's Download Organizer - used it perhaps twice - heard it does not work on Windows 10, though (not sure). I have become good at not installing stuff without meshes or doubles. Clean Installer - I use it more than any other. Downloading lots and the occasional sim; checking for doubles, moving stuff to other/new folders, deleting stuff, checking for doubles. SimPE - not often - check for sim references if I want to upload a lot (I think I may have started it twice for other things). I understand it is needed for recoloring objects (have never tried that), and for all kinds of creations.

Bodyshop - Once in a while - I actually do like to recolor clothes, although I am a complete amateur - I have occasionally made Sims, normally, I decide to make new sims on the spur of the moment and find it too much trouble to exit the game and open BodyShop to do so.

Not sure if you want to know this as well? I also use these and more often too:

The Hoodchecker
The LotAdjustor
The GridAdjustor (still trying to figure it out)
The HCDU
and Homecrafter
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:19 PM
Delphy's Download Organizer: Mostly checking for duplicates. It happens a lot in the folder I dump all the CC from downloading lots into. Sometimes I use it to search.

SimPE: I use it for everything. Fixing memories, changing pie menus, checking personalities when I don't feel like loading the game, extracting Sim appearances, etc.

Clean Installer: Installing lots. I sometimes use it to get the thumbnails if I forgot what something is.

Body Shop: Sometimes making Sims, especially since I can save them and come back later easier than in CAS. Also use it to convert to young adults and back as there's no way to do that in CAS. Previewing new clothing if I can't get a good idea of it from the screenshots.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:21 PM
Who can live without HomeCrafterPlus !

Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:23 PM
Somehow my paraphrasing and linking do not work tonight Sorry about that.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Aug 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Clean Installer: Mostly to install lots and sims, and to find pesky mailbox/trashcan files.
SimPE: Creating stuff, recategorizing, and everything I can't do with other programs.
Wardrobe Wrangler: I don't use it so often now, but I used it to recategorize clothes (now I mostly use SimPE).
Home Crafter: I don't use it a lot, but when I do it's mostly for walls and floors.
Bodyshop: Creating CAS CC, looking at CAS items (for various reasons), sometimes for making sims - in other words, the usual.
Cat's hair binner: Binning hairs and other binnable stuff (duh!)
The Compressorizer: Making my CC smaller in size (duh!)
Delphy's organizer: I don't even have it downloaded...

There are probably some more.

I do wish there was an easier way to do certain changes to CAS files, though. It's easy enough to change clothes in SimPE and the WW, but hairs and sometimes also accessories require so much clicking in both programs, because of the multiple Property Set files.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:47 PM
The Clean Installer is vitally important for scrubbing things you don't want out of Sims2Packs. For instance, my Recycled Rhodes House, made in my full game, tried to drag a lot of custom content with it into my AGS when I went to make the CC-free version. So when I installed it, using Clean Installer, I was able to mark it all for deletion, and now nobody who downloads that lot from MTS will have to worry about it bringing Phaenoh's Phone Hack or a bunch of modular stair recolors that they don't want.

I use SimPE to track down and fix problems like improperly set relationship flags and that damn stupid thing where Joe Grundstrom turns back into a teen even though he's married with a kid; to find out what personality newborn sims have without waiting for them to grow up to toddler (which can take a looooooooooooong time in my hoods!), to make CAS sims or townies from different households related to each other (including appearing in the family trees) and to set relationships that are impossible to set in CAS (making an elder parent to a teen, for instance); to move townies directly into their own household as playables, without anyone proposing/move in; to find out what mystery package files are; to give elders adult jobs; to learn things about townies; to find out how long an elder has to live; and I recently learned to change the price of items and the genetic values of skintones.I like to use it for a lot of things other people use SimBlender or other in-game tools for, because if did things in game I might majorly screw things up; whereas I always back up my game before opening SimPE, so any mistakes I make are easily reversible. Also, I can clone playable sims with it, to use in other hoods.

BodyShop has sliders CAS doesn't, which allow people to do subtle things that I generally can't even see. Subtlety's not my thing, so it's not my favorite way to use Bodyshop. No, what it's vital for is the second step in cloning. Since no one knows exactly what extra data SimPE clones are packaged with, it's best practice to run them through Bodyshop before adding them to a new neighborhood or share with others. You can also fix broken face templates in Bodyshop. If you have the archon archfix, you can clone Goth Boy Tricou as a teen and age him up into his real face template; then age him down and he'll have the right face as a teen. Bodyshop is also very important when developing populated neighborhoods, as you can make inhabitants in BodyShop and if you have to back up to a stage before they were made, you can easily recreate them. Bodyshop is also where most people make clothes, hair, etc., but I have no idea how to do that.

I don't use Delphy's Download Organizer very often, as the first time I used it I got a false positive for an orphan mesh and lost some of my favorite CC clothes. But it is very good at identifying duplicate files, which can slow down your game considerably.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
to find out what personality newborn sims have without waiting for them to grow up to toddler (which can take a looooooooooooong time in my hoods!),

With testing cheats, you can shift+click on the infant, make them unselectable, and make them selectable once more. Some of the UI is garbled, but you can see the personality and motives panel.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 10:53 PM
Yeah, but if I play Drama Acres with the testingcheats on I spend half my time clicking away errors! Much easier to wait till the end of the session and open up SimPE; especially when a session has births in more than one family.

An awful lot of things the in-game editing tools allow you to do are just testingcheat functions without having the testingcheats on, and I use testingcheats extensively when developing a hood. But some things are only doable in SimPE.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 11:44 PM
BodyShop has sliders CAS doesn't

download the BS sliders for CAS
http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...rs-added-to-cas

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 12:29 AM
Boy, have I got a ton more reading to do! I've never even heard of HomeCrafterPlus. I've heard of Wardrobe Wrangler, but didn't know what it was for. I have many clothes that I'd like to recategorize. Some of the current categorizations really irritate me.

Looks like the place to put my brain-cell energy (what little there is of it) is in SimPE. Right now, the program seems overwhelming because all I see are numbers and abbreviations that make no sense to me. Hopefully, following those tutorials on the Wiki site will help me learn the basics.

I recently downloaded some CAS sliders here on MTS. They seem to work very well: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=593107

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Delphy's Download Organizer - used it perhaps twice - heard it does not work on Windows 10, though (not sure). I have become good at not installing stuff without meshes or doubles.

Oh - Delphy updated it about a month ago - I imagine it does work with Win10 now.

I use SimPE, Clean Installer, Wardrobe Wrangler and SimCat mostly. WW, Clean Installer and SimCat mainly to do jobs much more quickly than SimPE does. SimPE to make stuff and fiddle about. I use all Moo's utilities too from time to time, especially the Lot Adjuster, but I always want to mention the Grid Adjuster because that programme does not get the love it deserves. I use the EAxis utility programmes too, of course.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 2:55 AM Last edited by gazania : 11th Aug 2017 at 5:49 AM.
Strangely, since I still can't do anything beyond the most basic, basic recoloring (and did that only once), and my foray into using this to make terrain failed utterly, I rarely use Homecrafter.

But Clean Installer? So, so useful for actually finding duplicates. Look for the stuff highlighted in pink and check all the info. And if you do download anything, the red-highlighted stuff shows mods or even Sims. I can't even fathom going without Clean Installer. I run it several times a year just to check for those duplicates.

HCDU .. Strangely, I use this rarely as well. I know. I should.

HoodChecker ... Good for a general health check.

Lot Adjuster ... I use this a whole lot too, since I like to build. Can't fathom not having this in my game as well.

Sim PE ... naturally.

Grid Adjuster ... I use for sunken foundations and occasionally, one or two other things. But mostly sunken foundations.

BodyShop ... only if I want to clone Sims.

CAS Sliders, default templates, non-default templates ... I don't consider those a program but yeah. I use these very often as well.

Long Filename Finder ... I know I need to use this again. Soon. Very soon. Many CC items have really, really long names, and they are hard to put on a backup disk. This is a very old utility, but it's great for locating the names that seem to quote the entire first line of a song in a file name.

Bulk Renamer ... Oh, the joy of [Must have CC item go to top so here are some special characters]filename.package. Many feel that getting rid of special characters helps your game load faster. I need to use this again soon. Shortly. I thought using special characters was no longer as popular, but I was wrong.

Delphy's Download Organiser ... Crap. I have thousands of CC files and I want to get rid of some old ones. Where ARE those files again? This helps me find them. For duplicates, I use Clean Installer.

Forgot the Compressorizer. Yup. Use that often as well.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Boy, have I got a ton more reading to do! I've never even heard of HomeCrafterPlus. I've heard of Wardrobe Wrangler, but didn't know what it was for. I have many clothes that I'd like to recategorize. Some of the current categorizations really irritate me.

I usally stick to SimPE for recategorizing. Sometimes SimPE and Bodyshop together (yes it works, as long as SimPE is loaded first, and you keep the files you're editing outside of Bodyshop, with a copy in your DL folder). SimPE allows me to figure out which mesh an outfit uses, I can recategorize (even separates!), and maybe also delete or change textures if need be. The WW has a tendency to crash, and it sometimes acts up.

. SimPE is my favorite program out of all of the above. I don't think there's been many days the past few weeks (or months) I haven't opened it for some or another reason.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 4:24 AM Last edited by FranH : 11th Aug 2017 at 10:06 AM.
I'm going to list them in the order that I usually use them:

Sims2Pack Clean Installer: To install new lots that I download-and check that there aren't 230 mailbox recolors in package, or mods I don't need.
The Compressorizer: I will use this to reduce the size of any downloads from the new lot that go into the download folder. (also entire character folder for a neighborhood..and the other files as necessary.)
Delphy's Downloads Organizer: I run this after that last step to make sure I don't have any duplicates, or to sort out walls, floors, and object recolors that I put outside the downloads folder into their own folders. (I usually do this step twice, to make sure of the duplicates and remove those that didn't get removed the first time around.)
HCDU: If there is a new mod/hack that I put into the game, I run it to make sure that it doesn't clash with the ones already in the game.
HoodChecker : I run this before I ever even open the game up.
Bodyshop: When I'm creating a new neighborhood, this the first place I go-to create new pixels.
SimPE: I use this sometimes to personalize the households, check on personalities and sexual preferences. I don't do much else-although I've been known to do a bit of altering text. I've only done a couple of heavy-duty modifications, but they weren't that hard because they didn't change the item in question.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#18 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 4:28 AM

I use SimPE to ... move townies directly into their own household as playables, without anyone proposing/move in.

That never occurred to me. I would love to know how to do this. Goopy could have his own house. With plaid wallpaper.

How could I forget HomeCrafter? I use HomeCrafter all the time, to make completer pieces for Maxis walls, to get one more shade of carpet, one more color of tile, one more color just one more moremoreHAHAHAHACOLORS!

Eh-hem. Sorry. But yeah, HomeCrafter is a useful program, too.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 6:14 AM
I found the Compressorizer on this site, along with the Wardrobe Wrangler, and the Collection Creator (which I have used): http://sims.jfade.com/index.php?category=1&subcat=5 Also on this page is something called the WTF Editor (Walls, Terrain & Floors). Anyone use that?

Lot Adjuster http://modthesims.info/d/384656 and Grid Adjuster http://modthesims.info/d/327439 are also new to me. I'm intrigued by the ability to remove roads in lot adjuster. I would love to remove about half the roads from my current neighborhood, then add more in as the town grows.

BTW, a lot of the tutorials on this site have dead photo images. I would like to encourage anyone who has a good grasp of these programs and an ability to clearly explain the process, to post new (updated) tutorials with images. If you think to yourself, "I don't need to make a tutorial for XXX because everyone knows this," then think again. There are a few of us here (raises hand) that are totally clueless and need to read and see even the most simplest tasks to be able to follow along.

Shipwreck Island
Field Researcher
#20 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 7:48 AM
I have used the WTF Editor, but it has always run very slowly. It does work but it takes patience.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 12:58 PM Last edited by maxon : 11th Aug 2017 at 1:17 PM.
I found the Compressorizer on this site, along with the Wardrobe Wrangler, and the Collection Creator (which I have used): http://sims.jfade.com/index.php?category=1&subcat=5 Also on this page is something called the WTF Editor (Walls, Terrain & Floors). Anyone use that?

I probably used it back in the day but can't remember. Jfade was pretty good though.

I'm intrigued by the ability to remove roads in lot adjuster. I would love to remove about half the roads from my current neighborhood, then add more in as the town grows.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. When it says remove the roads it means on the lot, not in the neighbourhood. The only way to add or remove roads is to use the game in combination with editing in SimCity4. The other alternative is to use decorative roads pieces in the neighbourhood but these are decorative only - you can't place lots along them (though you can move the lots to look like they are on the road with the Lot Adjuster).

BTW, a lot of the tutorials on this site have dead photo images. I would like to encourage anyone who has a good grasp of these programs and an ability to clearly explain the process, to post new (updated) tutorials with images. If you think to yourself, "I don't need to make a tutorial for XXX because everyone knows this," then think again. There are a few of us here (raises hand) that are totally clueless and need to read and see even the most simplest tasks to be able to follow along.

If you want to be specific, I would happily provide some instructions for specific tasks if I know what to do. But not 'how to use SimPE' please. SimPE is a big and very complex programme. I don't think any one could give you a full tutorial for that. Links to existing tutorials would help too. I might ask one of the senior staff if I can get permissions to update the tutorials section (I don't have permissions for that section).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 1:05 PM
It will be such a big help to so many players, @maxon; thank you for offering that.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 2:04 PM
There are several things I'd like to learn, but I'll start with the three that I tried to find info on this past week:

First, is it possible to create a custom careers in the latest [I]version of SimPE?
There are two tutorials, but one says it is no longer good with the newer version of SimPE. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=51901
The other relies on photos, which are dead, and I'm guessing it isn't going to work either since this post was created before 2009, when the last SimPE program was released. (BTW, the writing portion I get, but not sure about the technical SimPE stuff): http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=170590

I'd also like to know how to make a custom painting, the kind that goes on the wall and has a positive affect on the environment. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms because my searches keep turning up information on how to make a custom easel painting. I just looked in the downloads forum and found these paintings that say they are "recolors": http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=597860 Would the same steps used in this tutorial apply? http://modthesims.info/t/102356

Changing the Hunger value of a stove. I found this thread: http://modthesims.info/t/463774 See post #4 by Leefish. I was able to follow the steps she used, but I don't understand the number values. She said to change 0x0032 to 0x0096. I am guessing that these numbers are like memory cards and come in multiples such as 32, 64, 96, 128, 256, etc, but I don't know how they correlate to the hunger numbers 1-10 that we see in the game. In case I am not clear, I am wondering if 0x0032 = hunger 1 or hunger 3 or hunger 7. The same with 0x0096. I ask because I want to change my hunger 1 cooking appliances, but I don't want to raise them all the way up to hunger 10.

Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 3:01 PM
About paintings, when you say custom, do you mean a whole new object with the mesh and all, or a recolor of what,s already in the game?
To both, yes. If you clone a painting that has a environment score value, your clone will have the same value. If you recolor a painting that has a value, your recolor will also have that value.
And yes, the tutorial by Numenor is a recoloring one, and the download you linked is also a recolor.
But, for recoloring paintings, you can also use Photo Studio . This is a SimPE tool! Easy to work with.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 3:17 PM
SimMelissa, when I changed the price on the car recently, I discovered that SimPE had tabs to change the kind of numerical notation used. It defaults to hex code, but binary and decimal are always available. Check to see if the motives also have such a tab, and if they do, choose decimal.

Otherwise, you should be able to use your google skills to find something or other that will translate hex code into decimal numbers for you.

Page 1 of 3