Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:19 PM
Default What do you love about Sims 2?
I contrast to the recent thread about what we dislike about the game, I thought it would be nice to hear what people love about Sims 2.

Me -- I absolutely LOVE that Sims 2 allows me to play Barbie and Lincoln Logs at the same time, digitally! (These were my two all-time favorite things to do when I was a kid. Except I never had enough Lincoln Logs to build what I wanted.)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:23 PM
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:33 PM
I love so much about the Sims 2. I think it's such a tremendous improvement to the first game, and sincerely feel that it is the strongest iteration of the series overall. It has so many different things to do, customize, and admire! Genetics, family trees, hobbies, interests, horoscopes, dating, parties, babies, college, weather, building, you name it! I think this game has aged phenominally, and is the only Sims game I play for a litany of reasons. Also, because of its age, you can basically find anything you want online and add it into your game for free. That's amazing. This game rocks.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
I contrast to the recent thread about what we dislike about the game, I thought it would be nice to hear what people love about Sims 2.

Me -- I absolutely LOVE that Sims 2 allows me to play Barbie and Lincoln Logs at the same time, digitally! (These were my two all-time favorite things to do when I was a kid. Except I never had enough Lincoln Logs to build what I wanted.)

Yep Digital Barbies and Lincoln Logs with as much detail and depth your imagination can put into it. That's why I now have a soul mate game -may it last as long as my computer and future computers can support it.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:50 PM
It's innate flexibility, toy-like nature and the fact it seems to be infinitely moddable.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:07 PM
Toddlers and children and teens and young adults and adults and elders.
Dating and going on outings and throwing family reunion and other parties.
University! No shorter mods for me
Gardening and harvesting and tending plants.
Hobbies and weather and makeovers and toddlers eating snow.
Snowball fights and water balloon fights (both of these need space which is mostly absent on apartment lots); catch, kicky bag.
Toddlers dancing to the stereo. All Sims dancing to the stereo! Doing the hula and the slap dance.
Sims doing Thai Chi - and teaching it to others.
Neat Sims pumping fists of joy when told to clean. Sloppy Sims asking "Me? You want ME to do it?"
Oh, boy, the animations! It is some of the best, surely, ever - from the elder male tucking in his tummy and straightening his shoulders when a pretty young sim walks by to the way some Sims flirt with their toes grinding into the ground and their hands behind their backs.
The bin Sims. All of them.
The townies.
The social group townies, their greetings, their interests, the things that your sims should talk to them about The networking.
The teens from the BV hoods! Pong Grundstrom teaching all his fellow students how to do Thai Chi
Witches joining sims at the pool table (just do NOT turn anyone into a witch, please????) and sometimes even fishing at the pond.
Building! Trying to give a family the perfect house.
Owned businesses.
Children playing games such as Mary Mack and Cops and Robbers.
Seeing a hood grow until you need a subhood (or two, or three or five).
Elixir of Life. Trust me, I love Elixir of Life.
The career rewards!
The surprises - for they still keep coming, after 12 years of playing.
Sims painting portraits of other sims.
That is to start with...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Just about everything

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
It's innate flexibility, toy-like nature and the fact it seems to be infinitely moddable.

Like they said. :lovestruc

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:24 PM
Everything.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:27 PM
My favorite thing, when compared to the other Sims games, are the look of the Sims. I like all the additional sliders in the later games like TS4, but the actual look of TS2 Sims will always be dear to my heart.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Link Ninja
#10 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:32 PM
But now ts2 has additional face sliders as well so you can cross that off your wish list.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:33 PM
It's a game! It's a toy! It's a creative medium!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 12:20 AM
@PlyPlay665 have you seen all the new face sliders? There are heaps.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#13 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 1:02 AM
Toddlers! Especially toddlers in the bath - they're so cute.

The variety, especially once Seasons and Apartment Life came out. I love watching Sims graduate broke, move into an apartment, and work their way up (or not, according to their personalities and/or the rules of the hood). I love having them start out with just a small garden and struggle to survive their first winter (but I always change the rules a bit if someone is actually in danger of starving). I love sending them to uni to meet that special someone or cement a high school relationship, marry, have kids, watch the kids grow up as grandma and grandpa age. I love alien abductions, and dogs learning to play dead, and toddlers hugging dogs. I love that I can build an extension on the house if the Sims have another baby but can't afford to move, or build a house from scratch if I can't find one that suits their needs.

I played this game pure vanilla for years, and even so it had enough to keep me interested. Now I'm finding out about challenges, and how much else I can do thanks to the modders, and I think I'm going to be playing for years to come.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 1:15 AM
Freedom and flexibility are traits that The Sims has had from the very beginning, and while I do wish we had more of it, the fact that we had at least some freedom and flexibility over what we could do in our games is simply amazing. The Sims 2 offered more of the two than the first game did, and I think it should only be natural that as The Sims progresses and evolves, it should seek to provide more freedom and flexibility, not less of it. TS2 and TS3 were steps in the right direction (Even though they removed some freedom here and there annoyingly, like child Sims in TS3 being unable to play the piano).
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 1:21 AM
What do I love most about Sims 2?

My lovely Sims!! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 2:52 AM
I love when the toddlers huggle. I love seeing my Sims bathe their infants in the sink.
I love how the toddler movements are so lifelike, even when they are being stubborn and slide off the potty or don't want to participate in learning to talk.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Inventor
#17 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 3:20 AM
I admire the fact Sims 2 has secured my attention throughout these nearly two years since I got the ultimate collection. My sister constantly encourages me to try 3 or 4, and to move away from this sequel. If there's one thing I treasure most about older games, it's the nostalgia. I love to take every second to sink into the experience that will add into my memories, and as long as it keeps rolling I will stay content.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 4:35 AM
I love the way I can play it generation-ally like I can't really play Sims 1, 3, or 4. In 2, I can spread a family across the a hood wildly and play every branch of the family. That's not really possible to do it in the other sims games quite like I can do it in 2.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 5:16 AM
Sandbox game with little peeples! And your little peeples can do all kinds of stuff, many different careers, the possibility to create new careers, your sims can be self-employed, or they can be deadbeats who live on free hotdogs and a little shoplifting. There are many options, instead of just a couple.

You can build and build and build and build. All kinds of houses, all kinds of rooms, all kinds of businesses. Very few limits.

You can make your own characters, and if you get tired of them, you can make them have babies so now you have new characters.

The silliness. Fresh juice made from your garden produce is not just healthy, it's magical. Use too many garden chemicals, you turn into a plant. There's a penguin that comes by your lot, tries to steal your fish and will stop for a chat with your snowman. The Grim Reaper carries a cell phone. Sims cannot get out a swimming pool without a ladder. The Cow Plant. The Cow Mascot. Zombies who go to college, smustling vampires and spontaneous combustion. Dust cloud fights, social bunnies and aspiration failure animations. Alien abduction. Ghosts. Resurrection. Vampires. Servos. Plantsims.

The vast scope for modding the game and creating more content.

And a thousand other things I can't think of right now.
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 5:18 AM
They feel like my sims. All my sims games are based around or connected in some way to this game. The others I haven't played aside from demos.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 8:18 AM Last edited by kanzen : 10th Aug 2017 at 2:07 PM.
changing majors in college without financial consequences (and family arguments)
GETTING INTO A LEVEL ENTRY JOB WITHOUT EXPERIENCE
buying a house....
*laughs* doing things I can never do. it's the ultimate fantasy game.
Screenshots
Scholar
#22 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 8:37 AM
The randomness of the personalities the TS2 sims have. They always surprise me with what they do. Unlike sims in TS3 which are fairly predictable. I just connect more to the TS2 sims.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:26 PM
@joandsarah77, thanks. I have seen those! They're awesome. Although, for me, it's not really the face as much as it is the body. Everyone has a different body type ranging from fat, to uber muscular, to super skinny. I wish there weren't just three different body types to choose from for all of the clothing options, and I don't foresee that ever changing because of the way clothe meshes work in TS2.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Test Subject
#24 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:02 AM
It's the sims in TS2 that make it for me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little detailed actions/animations! They add a whole new level of depth to the game imo. Also like how the simology system added interests, memories, & chemistry, which played a big role in storytelling for TS2 and made it way easier to get invested in the lives of your sims. Even the premades were pretty interesting to play through. Also loved the autonomy system compared to other games, TS2 sims always just seemed much more random (as @SciBirg mentioned) and did random autonomous interactions which would sometimes yield completely unexpected results. It made me love sitting back and watching my sims just do their own thing.

Also loved the customization aspects of TS2 >w>its just way easier to make/randomly generate/load up some good looking sims, and just plop em down. I find myself fumbling around a lot more in TS3/TS4 CAS.
Scholar
#25 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 1:30 AM
I wasn't allowed to play Barbie as much as I wanted and there were limits due to me having no sets to play with so The Sims gives me what I always wanted; Barbie dolls to play with and do whatever I wanted :lovestruc

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Page 1 of 2