Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 5:01 AM
Default How to make good specular? for a photoshop idiot
I'm trying to learn how to retexture hair and I'm looking at aikea-guinea's Betty Hair replacement how it was done. It is my favourite hair replacement. I can barely understand how she was able to make one of the ugliest EA hairs to one of the best with just 3 texture replacements but anyhoo. So I have no issues with getting the diffuse/multiplier done but when I try to make it into specular and to the mask/control I run into problems. So to illustrate my problem, I have taken aikea's diffuse and I'm trying to make it to look the same as her specular but I get this mess:

This is how her original looks like, see how it is softer and also has better highlights but yet is dark and more detailed:

I bet it is something super simple too but photoshopping is not my forte.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 1:49 PM
That's just a simple horizontal motion blur effect, and you're also suffering from the horrible compression artifacts. Getting rid of those probably takes a series of specific filters that I'm afraid you'll have to experiment with yourself, but you might also want to convert the texture to grayscale first.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 9:40 AM
Awesome thanks, now I know what to google. Yes, I forgot to make it black and white before posting it here.