Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:05 AM
Default Convert Sims 2 Skins for Sims 3
Is there a way to convert Sims 2 skins for the Sims 3, using Gimp or another editor, or are they too different?

If you have a request please explain it thoroughly! (At least one and a half paragraphs & supply the needed pictures / meshes, or else I will throw it away without looking at it and I will not "PM" you that I will not do it.)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:10 AM
I just tried doing that today. I haven't figured out the DDS importing trick yet, but just turning a ts3 skin into a ts2 skin is doable -- just a whole lot of work warping things into different positions. Maybe it could be automated by a photoshop guru.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 11:56 AM
It's a lot easier for the face skins than for the body skins, that's for darn sure. The feet especially are quite different in mapping.

In Photoshop, I have to use the Warp tool to get a lot of things positioned correctly, and it's a matter of chopping it into small pieces and blending. Not sure how automated that could be since it's half science and half art, but with some effort, yeah, it can be done.

But TS2 and TS3 are different in terms of rendering. TS3 has a lot more going on with dynamic shadows and lighting so what may have looked good on a TS2 skin will look real weird in TS3.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:22 PM
Okay, well, I guess Ill try one skin, and if the shadows are too off I'll quite there, but what is the wrap tool in Photoshop? It sounds like it would make my task a whole lot easier.

If you have a request please explain it thoroughly! (At least one and a half paragraphs & supply the needed pictures / meshes, or else I will throw it away without looking at it and I will not "PM" you that I will not do it.)
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:24 PM
Edit - Transform - Warp. I know it was in CS2/CS3, but isn't in PS7, so not sure when they added it exactly.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:35 PM
I've extracted the uv maps for the faces, as well as the AF and AM bodies, which could be useful when converting TS2 skintones to TS3. They're in .jpg format, so can be used with any image editing program.

I suggest putting them in their own layer and setting the layer blend mode to 'screen.'

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 9:56 PM
I’ve tried all this, the last couple of days and while the skin tones and pretty easy to convert to sims3 the clothes are a huge difference. One thing I noticed with trying to recreate some of my runway looks is that photo skinning is a lot more difficult with the sims3. Things require to be flatter than in the sims2, were you could past a picture of a top on the texture and it would wrap around pretty well on the sim, but here the texture map is flatter which makes for better quality but makes, like I said, photo skinning a slow process. Then to add all the bump maps and little things like how the patterns will affect the texture... it’s just a slow process.
And another thing is make-up!! Man o man the eyes are so different it took me almost a whole hour just to make one eye shadow look.

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 10:24 PM
Thanks aikea guinea, do you have these in toddler-elder too?

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 12:21 AM
You're welcome. I don't have toddler/children extracted yet, but I can do that easily enough. Elder should be the same.

I should be able to get to that tonight, if no one else beats me to it.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:00 PM Last edited by aikea guinea : 12th Jul 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Here are those uv maps:

Child

Toddler

Both those contain the uv maps for the face and bodies. Since males and females are mapped the same, there's only one set of uv maps per age. Teens and elders are mapped the same as adults, so I didn't extract those.

(Sorry for the delay, had a crazy-busy holiday weekend!)

Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 1:44 AM
i was just wondering about this same thing! would the Skininator http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389488 be able to do this? Or it sounds like you would have to play with the texture files in GIMP/Photoshop first and then perhaps be able to turn them into a skin file?
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 4:25 PM
The skininator wouldn't be able to do it, because the skins aren't the same for TS2 and TS3. The face is lower on the image for ts2, and the eyes and ears are completely different shapes. Cutting them up, and reshaping, then putting it back together works best. I personally use a copy of the default TS3 faces as a background layer, and place the pieces over that. Then there's a lot of saturation/shadowing/lighting changes, and a lot of blending. Gaussian blur is your friend.
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 4:35 PM
Even just copying over the pieces and adjusting doesn't give a great result, too, at least when it comes to faces. Seems like faces are best built for TS3 from scratch IMO - you -can- convert them but even converting popular ones for TS2 like Enayla's, for example... The result in TS3 is mediocre at best, even when you get the mapping fitted perfectly.

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Apr 2019 at 5:47 AM
what about the baby skins?

evyonne circle
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#15 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 7:28 PM
You should be asking that in the WCIF section in the Sims 3.

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita