Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 8:14 PM Last edited by AmyRachaelNapier : 24th Jul 2019 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Edit
Default Skintone Not Displaying in Game Correctly
Hi,
I'm trying to make some new skintones. I'm managing to get it working in Skinninator, but once I install it in game and try to use it on my sim it looks very white and almost kinda see-through. I've followed the Skinninator tutorial on here but I'm completely lost.

I don't know if I'm colouring the skin image wrong, I was having trouble recolouring it from grey to the tone I wanted, but I think I got it sorted. It looks how I want in Skinninator, but not in game.

Attached screenshots of the tone in Skinninator and how it looks in game, and the package itself.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I kinda don't really know what I'm doing here.
Thanks

EDIT: I worked out that the preview is showing the skin WITH the overlay, but the game is displaying the skin WITHOUT the overlay. I don't know how to make the overlay work all the time
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  skintone.zip (2.60 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 2:37 AM
I know the way EA blends the overlays has changed in the Island Living patch, but not sure if that's what's causing this. I'll take a better look tomorrow and come back.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 8:30 PM
Sorry to take so long. About all I can tell you is that yes, the overlay appears not to be affecting the skintone in CAS. However, the overlay image is identical to the skin image so perhaps the game is simply overlaying it instead of blending it as Skininator does. As I said, the way the overlays are being applied has changed and I have to work at trying to duplicate it in the previewer. At this time it's best to avoid overlays if possible, they look awful in darker skin colors anyway.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 10:17 PM
Hi, Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I've tried removing the overlay on the skintone and still no luck. When I tried to add a skintone a few shades darker, still with no overlays, the skin still looks very white in game, just with a slight hint of colour. I guess I'm just not making the skin images correctly, that or just the patch has messed something up.
What's weird is that I can edit existing skintones for my own use with WW, but my own files just don't want to work.
Thanks for your help though.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 2:35 AM
If the problem is the lightness of the skin, have you tried making it even darker? Skintones are a lot lighter in-game than the skin image.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 10:53 PM
Hi, so, I've been doing some experimenting and I've realised the problem that I'm having. The colours I'm making the skintones are different to how other skintones are made. Looking at other custom skintones in Skinninator, the colour of the tone in the Skin Image isn't the same colour as the skintone that gets applied, if that makes sense. When I'm colouring skin images, I'm using the colour I want to get, and I don't really know how to get the darker colour I need for the skin image to apply the colour I actually want.
Thanks for trying to help, but I think I'm a little out of my depth. I kinda just followed the written tutorial and I don't really know a lot of technical program stuff.