Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 9:14 PM
Default RE: Upload manager - Requires one change...
Hiya

Got a pm from the upload manager regarding the "Classic Park Bench" I am uploading, it said that I had to make the recolours seperate so that people could choose which ones they wanted, there's just a bit of confusion here...
There are not any recolours with this package, these are the standard options as this object was cloned from the "Piece of Quiet Park Bench" which has 6 colours so I made my custom bench to match that.

Sorry for any confusion, I had to rewrite this a couple of times as it looked like gobbldigook with tonguetwisters thrown in Hope that clears it up,

Thanks

Ps;
Here's a cheeky sneak-preview if anybody is interested
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 9:49 PM
Ah, okay, so it's a repository textured object then? The colours didn't look the same, honestly, especially that yellow one... are you sure you have the same material definition settings as the originals?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 10:15 PM
Ahh I wasn't aware in which context repository could be used despite seeing it a few times lol, yep that's it.
Well the wooden colours (oak, light oak, dark oak) I made to match the Maxis originals as much as poss but the green, blue and red I made more vibrant as I always felt the Maxis colours here were so dull, they are the same colour just brighter shades. Aside from that the only differences that could possibly be apparent will be due to the underlying texture (oak) which was multiplied with an ambient occlusion pass.
All txt's went in the same slots in the package where I replaced them it's just they are coming up in the game now in different positions, bit clueless as to why. Actually there is no yellow there it's lime green! Just to reitterate aside from replacing the materials there have been no other alterations to this area in the package.

Thanks for replying so soon
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 11:08 PM
Default I love that bench!
I hope that they see that you just used the original colors, and upload it next time! :D

It's exactly what I was looking for, for my park!

Best of luck,
orangeslice

There's nothin' better than a freshly squeezed sim. :)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 11:25 PM
Okay, actually, I looked in the package and it's not done repository... all your colour options are in the same package, which is why I was confused in the first place.

Repository objects have -no- textures of their own, and link to Maxis objects for all of their textures.

This has all your colour options in a single .package file, which is not the right way to do it. If you do it this way and try to delete a single recolour in-game (as many people do when they notice one or two colour options they don't like), it'll delete the whole file and they won't know why.

If you look under IgnorantBliss's profile there's a tutorial on how to do repository/slave textures from Maxis objects. Or you can re-clone with only the default colour option, and then do the others as recolours in separate .package files.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2008 at 1:19 AM Last edited by GCmax : 7th Jun 2008 at 2:50 AM.
Hmm all I can say is I mimicked the original object as much as poss by allowing the same colour options as I thought this would be the correct way of going about it. I didn't realise despite this standardised status that I had to make all the colour options seperate!
So repository textures are linked to a master item and are borrowed textures, I get it, okay well I don't really have the time to reclone the object and for the reason that I am not that converstant with SimPE so if I upload it here maybe someone could do that if they wish then the credit will go to you whoever you may be...
ps: thanks orangeslice
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Classic Park Bench.zip (3.22 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info