Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2007 at 1:35 PM Last edited by aniradeth : 27th Sep 2007 at 1:46 PM.
Default Trying to fix a rejected house
I build this house based on a house that really exists and where I have lived in. It's a basic finnish house, build in the forties-fifties, I'm not exactly sure of the building year, but it's from that era.

The rejection reasons were:
# Lots - Poor overall quality
That's an interesting submission, but please keep in mind that layout and aesthetics are very important in the approval of a lot. Strive to provide unique architecture that not just anyone can build. Make it exciting and different! For inspiration and tips, please see the Build Mode Discussion Forum, the Build Mode Tutorials Forum, and the Community Tutorial Listing. For a very detailed explanation of what is required for all Lots & Houses uploads, please read the Creator Guidelines. Good luck, and please try again!

The house is almost 100% carbon copy of the original.
The changes I made to the house:
1. The bathroom is actually two toilets, but I combined them for better gameplay
2. there should be three entry doors to the house, the one that's missing is in the middle of the two that exist, and it leads straight to the celler.
3. all doors have a one tile entry and one tile width stairs
4. the horizontal corridore that combines the three entry doors should be one tile width
The reason I did the changes for 2-4 is basically for gameplay, so sims wouldnt get stuck when half the household is trying to get out while the delivery man is trying to get in.

The house has three levels:
0. cellar with dressing room, shower and sauna
1. bahtroom, kithcen, dining room, living room, study, bedroom
2. two bedrooms, 3 walk in closets, the attic (the H shape space is the attic)

I'm completely blind on how to fix this house. Which is why I appresiate suggestions on what to do and how to fix it, but without completely destroying the style of the house.

I'll attach pics of the house I uploaded and then some furnised pics of a house I have one family living in.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Sep 2007 at 2:04 PM
It's a very nice house, aniradeth.

Your pictures don't show the house in a nice setting...like, if you were going to sell this house, have a picture of it with the yard in a way that new home buyers would get their first look at it. Feature the BEST thing about this house, and make that a focal point.

I know you made this after a real house, but the "boxy" look of the house doesn't really impress the mods here. (See Creator Guidelines) Maybe you could adjust the shape of the house by creating an alcove on both side walls.

To get more light for you shots, use the boolprop allObjectLightsOn true/false cheat and that will light up your rooms to make them more "lookable".

I hope I helped. :D

I was going to start eating all natural foods, until I heard of all these people dying of natural causes.
My other favorite website, www.SimSafe2.com, I'm Petunia Mae Witherbottom there.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Sep 2007 at 2:41 PM
I agree with NRL2. Although it will have been appreciated that this was a copy of an existing house, the mods will have just seen the simplistic shape of it and dubbed it uninteresting. Tweaking the room shapes or the way the roof is applied may improve it and definitely get better in game shots of the house.

Hope this helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 3:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
NoRealLife2 - what did you mean by adding alcoves - do you mean I should add space, or extract space from the house?
Looking at the pics now, they deffinately are dark.
Scholar
#5 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 10:11 PM
or add those things for the roof, ugh what are they called lol maybe thats what they ment by alcove...but those little mini rooves on the troof would help break it up some an add interest..and i know im rather confussing when i cant think of a word and to help clarify http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/DPW/imag...%20P6200141.JPG where they have the mini roof with a window in side

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 11:40 AM
Yes. You basically have 4 smooth, even walls for your house. Start at one side of the house and keep the first 2 wall grids, then build one wall grid outward, then maybe 3 wall grids, then 1 inward again...then the side of your house would have an added alcove, or cubby space and your house would not be shaped like a box anymore.

I was going to start eating all natural foods, until I heard of all these people dying of natural causes.
My other favorite website, www.SimSafe2.com, I'm Petunia Mae Witherbottom there.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:05 PM
And it's too Maxis like. Elaborate more and go for a unique look. Take a look at other houses that are up there. + the pictures aren't close enough, they're too far away

Emo's say 'yay'... just with a dead
I'm now playing and making stuff for Sims 3 so I'll give my name: Tempting_Fate nothing up at moment. Still getting used to it.
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 12:40 AM
Hi, aniradeth:
I'm not an expert builder or anything, and I appreciate all your hard work, but I do have a few suggestions that might help get your home approved.

> Try adding walkways up to your stoops and put some floor covering on them, they look a bit unfinished.
> Move the trees on the side of the lot around a bit, they seem to be poking into the house. Add a bit more landscaping like shrubs and a flower bed.
> Dormers in the roof are also a good idea as mentioned by dragon, or maybe some roof ornaments.
> Perhaps a more neutral outside color would be more appealing to the members.
> Read the Creator Guidelines. If you follow them, your submissions are much more likely to be approved.

Good luck and I hope to see your home out there soon!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 11:27 AM
Thanks everybody for your input - I really apresiate all the help and suggestions. I'll try finding time to fix the house during next week - and then post some new pics.
Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info