Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 6:35 PM Last edited by DaFoxyD : 19th Feb 2007 at 4:18 AM. Reason: Update...
NEWER Update: 2/18/07 Tails Suggestions/opinons PLEASE LEAVE SOMTHING!
Update: 2/12/07 Update: 2/18/07 - Fixed pictures!

Wow, look at that, two updates on one day. I edited the bed some more, gave it a better texture.

I edited the couch, giving it a more leathery look... If leathery is a word...

Last but not least, just a close up of the lamp.

Update: 2/12/07

Ok, well, I have found some time in my day to begin work on the bed, and I have come to a conclusion that this looked the best, I added some texture to the pillows, added sheets, and fixed the trim on the side of the bed. Tell me what you think!

Well, aparently MTS2 doesn't want me to upload anything....
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/...le/newbedgd.jpg

Update: 2/11/07

Ok, well, thank you for your help guys!!! I haven't had a lot of time lately to work, but I did manage to fix the wall so it looks nice, and the carpet... I just threw that idea out because I found the Maxis "Recycled Toy Carpet" Hes a picture of the updated wall, tell me what you think!

http://thumbs.modthesims2.com/getimage.php?file=465706

First:

Well, I just tried to upload these things,

http://thumbs.modthesims2.com/getimage.php?file=464621

Since I got rejected, I started to wonder why, and it told me to ask other peoples opinions about what I could do to make it better. I already know the wallpaper isn't the best, being all pixelated and the seam. Other then that, I thought the rest was pretty good... Oh yeah, and these are recolours, no new meshes or anything, believe me, I tried didn't work... So, I'm just asking for your opinion, THANKS! :D

Fox Co.
Where the Foxes go.
Got something to tell me? E-Mail me!
[email protected]
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 6:49 PM
The bed isn't bad, though the blue on it looks very flat, and it could use more shading/texturing to make it seem a bit more like blankets - a little highlight here, a little shadow there, like the rippling of fabric. Add a little light to the "higher" parts of the pillows, a little darker around the edges.

It looks like you did quite well at making it work on single beds - which is great for something that would likely be a kids' room set. Thanks for taking the time to do that - many people don't.

As for the walls and floors - pictures belong in frames. If you want to do matching walls, try a simple gradient or other basic blue wallpaper in colours like the background of your existing one. If you want something with a little more interest to it, create a border using one of your images, to go around the middle or top of the wall.

You can recolour a poster with Tails on it, maybe even do a round rug with that picture on it (using an Add Noise filter in just about any program at a fairly low setting turns any pic into instant carpet texture - don't just slap the pic onto a rug), if you'd like to add more things with your design on it.

Try taking a look at some real cartoon-themed bedroom sets to see how they use the colours of whatever they're making. You'll find the character isn't on every inch of everything - but is a major theme repeated throughout the room, with a LOT of it just echoing the colours used in the character's design.

If you're doing matching couches, they don't need to have the character on them just make sure you match the shade of blue to the shade you use on the bedspread, or one of the blues from the wall, and leave them plain. That will also make them more useful as a grow-up set for kids.

Try some changes like that to tone down the overall motif. If you'd like some examples of some great Sims 2 fandom room sets, check out Swtness2's profile here on MTS2. She does some amazing sports and cartoon bedrooms that have the motif all over the place, but are totally realistic and liveable. Also note how she sets up her pics - like real rooms. Taking a look at how she's done her sets and pics might be helpful - I can't think of a better example of great fandom room sets than hers.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 11:50 PM
I agree with HP, the floors and walls are too much - do a border or something which will definitely change a lot, for the better. Also it might be good to have the same color blue for the sofa and the bedding.

As someone who has done some bedding with a large pattern just recently let me say that it may be better to make the central pic on the large bed smaller, but more centered and it would look better on the single too then (tiggery's tutorial is brilliant for that) but I am perhaps nitpicking, I like things perfect.

Another suggestion, again from my experience, you can really play with the border/trim on the bed, especially if you add a rug recolor. Full colors, when you do a picture based set, really help bring out the detail/picture, so do not make it all patterned. For the rug you don't really need Pets, if you have the Echo's mesh for rugs (it's in one of my set threads if you need the link.)

Think it could be really good, if you just spent a tad more time on it.

Touch my mind
Locked thread | Locked by: lewjen Reason: Useful info - do not delete