Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 12:14 PM
Default First Outfit Upload
I concentrate mostly on making Sims, but I've been working hard on this one particular outfit for Teens:

I love it, except for one thing. The boots! I wanted them to have that cute, tight leather boot look, but they just look misplaced. I couldn't find any leathery patterns/textures that would look right. I'm wondering if I should just go with High Heels.

Any comments, critiques, etc., would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

EveZ
Please check out my news set of outfits!
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=219976
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 5:11 PM
Although i cant help you with the leather texture, i suggest that you keep the boots, they would complete the outfit. Overall this outfit is fantastic and the moderators wont think twice about accepting it for upload.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 5:33 PM
Okay, that's totally cute, and your screenshots are great. Don't touch the outfit itself at all - it's perfect, and if that's with bump maps, as it looks like it is, looks like you've done a great job on that too, which is rare.

The texture on the boots actually looks pretty good - it's just very dark, especially against the light background, so it almost looks like a bucket fill.

For good textures, try a Google Image Search for "suede close" - that will get you some nice closeups of suede textures, better than a general search which generally gets you whole garments. I see at least three different items that, if cut out, duplicated, and you use the clone brush to fill in some areas, could be used to excellent effect in doing suede.

I don't think black boots are appropriate to the outfit, though - either a nice chocolate brown, or a light pretty beige... similar to the sim's hair colour, actually, would be nice.

A variation on the whole thing with black boots (but lighter - black suede is really more different shades of dark grey than black), a blue-grey sweater, and blue jean skirt would be totally cute, too, and wouldn't be hard to get with just a bit of slidering with the colour tools.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 10:46 PM Last edited by EveZ : 30th Dec 2006 at 12:54 AM.
All right, thanks Hysterical. I did use bump maps, or else the outfit looks kind of flat and unrealistic.
I love the idea of making different colors of this same outfit; Especially the blue. That would probably go well with the current boots.
But they definetely don't go with the pink. A beige-ish color would probably be nicer.
I'll go try this out, and see what I come up with.

EveZ
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 12:29 AM
Okay, here are the outfits. Pink, Green, and Blue. If you think one color should be lighter or darker, just tell me. I'll probably make one or two more Outfit Recolors, just because these outfits are Powerpuff Girl Colors right now, and I just realised that.

Now, for the pink one I found the perfect suede pattern that matched. The only problem was that it looked kind of flat and furry. I blurred it, add a little bit of noise, then shaded it. Now it looks less 2-D. I'm pretty happy with it. For the Green and Blue, they have the original boots. I think they match.
What do you think?

EveZ
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 12:47 AM
I think they look great.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 1:16 AM Last edited by EveZ : 31st Dec 2006 at 9:45 AM.
Thanks. I'm wondering if for the other outfits, though, I should go with the kind of boots I have for the pink one. Also, maybe I should include a set of the same outfits with cute, shorter boots?

EveZ
Field Researcher
#8 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 3:54 AM
Keep the knee boots, just recolor the pink ones to correspond with the outfit.
Scholar
#9 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 4:04 AM
These look great for a first! Your textures are top notch, and the overall quality is very high. As for the boots, keep them the height they are, but yeah, maybe recolor the green and blue the same color as the skirt

Overall though it looks awesome as is
Inventor
#10 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 4:45 AM
These outfits are super cute!!! I can't wait to download them! you are going to make more recolors right? How bout like a light beige for the sweater with a black belt and black skirt? I think that would look really good!
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 5:28 AM
Eve, these textures are awesome. Excellent attention to detail and I love the colours. The "blue" actually looks lavender or mauve to me, but it's a great shade. As for the black boots - I think if you lightened them up a little bit they'd fit in better and look less bucket-filled. But the height looks great. If lightening them looks bad, you could use the boot texture from the pink outfit, desaturate/greyscale it and darken it little by little until it looks right. You could even keep them brown for the green outfit, or change them to whatever colour looks good.

And I think the whole outfit would look adorable in beige too, or a white sweater with beige skirt & boots.

Anyway, exellent work.
Instructor
#12 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 7:18 AM
Maybe a slate color for the boots on the blue outfit, but I don't know... I'm half-asleep, so don't trust what I say. I love them all, great job! You may want to try an orange/red recolor for these outfits. Just a suggestion... :D

Ciao,
~M~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 9:44 AM
Wow! Alot more responses.
I'll definetely change the boots for the other outfits, because unless you do look very, VERY carefully, they look like I just used paint and made them black. I had darkened them a wee bit too much.
I had tried lightening the boot texture but it came out strange and pixelated.
I'll add a couple more colors, (Like the Beige sweater and black skirt; Good idea!), and there's a few other things I noticed that I need to tweak.
Once I get that done, I'll upload it as soon as I can!
Thanks guys.

EveZ
Locked thread | Locked by: lewjen Reason: Useful texturing information inside, do not delete