Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 8:40 AM
Meeting Upload Approval Guidelines
Hello everyone

I recently tried to upload a collection of men's athletic wear. They were recolours of a mesh I found on MTS2.

I spent a long time working on them, and when I finally got to upload them I got a message telling me it needed to be reviewed... which I've enver seen before. I've uploaded before and never had my uploads under review...

Anyway, my upload was rejected and I received an automated reply telling me to review the approval/rejection guidelines.

Well, I did so. And as far as I can tell my upload met the standards of this site.....I wouldn't be bothering you with this..but I really can't figure out why it was rejected.

The texture was not fuzzy, the images were taken in the create-a-sim mode and had ample light, and were zoomed appropriately.

The content was not theft, I had the permission of the original mesher. He was looking forward to seeing my recolours of his work, and I linked the originals with my recolours. It was also zipped from the SavedSims folder, not the download or projects.

I sent this query to LyricLee, and he told me to post my photos of my upload here. So that's what I'm doing.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.... I just want to be able to upload my clothes.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 8:53 AM
One rule is that you must take in-game screenshots, not bodyshop pictures.

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:07 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 1st Oct 2006 at 9:16 AM.
pfish, those are not bodyshop pictures. *goes to look further at what is posted*

I'd say they look sorta painted on the sim, and that's probably why they were rejected. There's no visible texture/shading/highlights/wrinkles. Look at the maxis outfits (I know they didn't make this particular outfit) and of photos of people in similar outfits and add a touch of highlights and shadows or pulls to them.

The hems/necklines also need bit of shadow or edging or stitching at the edges of the garments to make them look like they've got an edge to them.

Hopefully you're using a graphics editor with layers. Put your shading, highlights, whatever other details on different layers, so that you can easily adjust them if they don't come out how you like, because the base of most of these outfits look good, you don't want to damage that while working on some shading. Also sometimes I find that the shading I see in my graphics program is not strong enough and all but disappears in game, so be sure to take a good look at your in game changes

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Fluffy
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:10 AM
Homestarrunner,
I think the shading and texturing on several of them could be improved,
especially the black and green striped one, and the camouflage don't really look realistic to me, I'm afraid.
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
pfish, those are not bodyshop pictures. *goes to look further at what is posted*

Oops. wrong word for bodyshop. I forgot there are different words like bodyshop and CAS pictures. **red face**

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:27 AM Last edited by HomestarRunner20X6 : 1st Oct 2006 at 9:33 AM. Reason: Typos galore
Thanks tiggery
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum

I'd say they look sorta painted on the sim, and that's probably why they were rejected. There's no visible texture/shading/highlights/wrinkles. Look at the maxis outfits (I know they didn't make this particular outfit) and of photos of people in similar outfits and add a touch of highlights and shadows or pulls to them.

The hems/necklines also need bit of shadow or edging or stitching at the edges of the garments to make them look like they've got an edge to them.

Hopefully you're using a graphics editor with layers. Put your shading, highlights, whatever other details on different layers, so that you can easily adjust them if they don't come out how you like, because the base of most of these outfits look good, you don't want to damage that while working on some shading. Also sometimes I find that the shading I see in my graphics program is not strong enough and all but disappears in game, so be sure to take a good look at your in game changes

Thank you very much for your input tiggery.

As always you are respectful and helpful.

However, I really don't understand why they would need "texturing". I mean... they're spandex. It's supposed to look tight to the skin.

The original creator's meshes didn't have what you guys are saying either, and they were accepted and fairly popular downloads. And while I'd be silly not to admit that his originals are better, there's not that much of a difference, you know?

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=113673

Perhaps I'm just a bad recolourer?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 5:48 AM Last edited by flyingpigeon : 2nd Oct 2006 at 5:52 AM. Reason: added a little more information
If it is a new mesh (although it doesn't particularly look like one), new meshes don't go through the moderation process. They get approved automatically.
Quote: Originally posted by HomestarRunner20X6
However, I really don't understand why they would need "texturing". I mean... they're spandex. It's supposed to look tight to the skin.

Spandex is supposed to look tight, but the others are saying your textures look flat. Instead of having a solid color, adding a little shading and texture could keep the skin-tight look without it looking flat.
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by flyingpigeon
Spandex is supposed to look tight, but the others are saying your textures look flat. Instead of having a solid color, adding a little shading and texture could keep the skin-tight look without it looking flat.

I think I understand... maybe...

I certainly don't understand how to go about fixing it, but I think I understand what you mean.

Do you think they all need to be redone, or just some specifically?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 11:11 PM Last edited by flyingpigeon : 2nd Oct 2006 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added
They could all use a little more shading... some already have a specific texture (for example: )

So... I wouldn't suggest completely starting over, just adding to what you have.

If you would like me to help you out with this, you are welcome to pm me.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Oct 2006 at 2:11 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 5th Oct 2006 at 2:57 AM.
The originals you reference were posted Dec 2005. The site's requirements regarding recolors and the detailing/standards have been changed and made a bit tougher over time.

I'd say you're 95+% of the way there with most of these. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do to make the green/black striped suit look more realistic - although maybe the same detailing things as for the others would do the trick. The details you put on the outfits overall are excellent, truly excellent, so don't give up.

But let's look at this outfit (I hope the link works) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...0c-20/ref=nosim

What is lacking in your outfits is that you have say, a solid red area (or the purple one I can see it for sure) that just looks like you dumped a single solid color in there. These outfits have a little bit of a shine to them - the one I'm looking at even looks a tiny bit textured (dotted) in the photo.

Also (and I can't tell for sure on your red outfit, but I can tell on the purple one) there is no 'edge' to the neckline and armholes on your outfits, the color looks to go solid right to the edge. Even so on your patterned green outfit shown in the previous message. This adds to the 'painted on' appearance.

Clothing has finishing on the edges. Sometimes it might be a different color. Or there will be narrow stitching, and a bit of shading... I have been meaning to write an article/tutorial about doing such details, but it's not finished. Maxis tends to use a bit of gray alpha and a band of black that will go onto the sims' skin to make it look like the outfit is not part of the skin (I actually am not always fond of that approach for myself - I tend to put the shading on the outfit instead)

I realize I said this before, but I'll be a bit more specific.
I suggest you load your graphics into an editor with layers, and that you work on adding a bit of shading or other detail on a new layer, so you can experiment w/o ruining your original work. For instance, you can add some subtle shadows by adding a layer, drawing some black where you want the shadows - doing a gaussian blur on them, and then adjusting the opacity of the layer (and try settings like overlay or multiply) to get some shading onto your outfit. Then import that and check it in game to see how well it shows up. You can do highlights the same way -- make a new layer, use white, blur, and adjust the opacity. I'd make another layer and then use a single line to draw stitching/edge to the neckline, and so forth. Then if you decide one thing you tried didn't work well, you can just remove it and start that part over.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 3:07 PM
thats unfair why shuld uploaders that uploaded in 2005 get off with lighter rules than those uploading now... iv'e had the same problem with a house i gave all the cc links and that took me 30 mins and then all the info required to upload a house.. and low and behold a reply changes required???????? The moderators say that theres to many recolours how??? This house was unfurnished and i gave links to the cc build items i used!!!

Somethings wrong putting creators down like this when we want to upload fantastic creations!!! Just for this site???

I saw a house called a millionares palace and it was packed full of cc yet my house that was smaller and simpler got rejected!!

And as for getting rid of request forums what about all the new simmers that just want a nice house to look at and may requesty fillers enjoy doing the requests!!

Well that my rant over and btw i thnk those textures are great!!!!

Sorry if i offended anyone but thats what i think!!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 3:44 AM
The reason why they "Get Off" is because people expect better stuff over the years; Around the time the game just came out, (2004-2005), people we trying to figure out how to make Custom Content, were learning the ropes, and it looks pretty mediocre to some of the things now. Its called Progress. Its a good thing.

EveZ
Please check out my news set of outfits!
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=219976
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 3:42 PM
so many uploaders here now are first timer creators???? I cant see the difference why it be different for them??????????
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#14 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 4:01 PM
We are happy to encourage first-time creators to improve and grow. We haven't always had the Creator Feedback forum, such great tutorials and support, and this much information available to beginners. The information and help is available to anyone who would like to use it, and we pride ourselves on having the best quality uploads on MTS2.

That's one of the reasons this forum itself is here - so people who may not be meeting the upload guidelines can get specific help from moderators, downloaders, and creators to improve their creations.

Being rejected is not intended as an insult to anyone - we encourage you to improve your creations and become a more skilled creator. That's what this whole site is about.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Locked thread | Locked by: lewjen Reason: Do not delete - useful info inside