Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 8:30 PM
Default Textures not acting like they should - default replacement
Hi all!

I've an issue with my latest project, which is a conversion. TS2's grim reaper to ts3. It functions just like the grim reaper since it's a default replacement. One thing that I simply can't seem to fix is this weird blackness that keeps sticking with it. I tried modifying the XML files by changing the colorfill=color:1,1,1,1 to 0,0,0,0. I tried opening it with CTU (Because I didn't want TSRW to mess up my xml files) and it seems to appear like it should. The only thing I can think of is changing the daeamreaper.tga file into something else. or maybe one of the other tga files.
When I open grimmy in cas, the default overlay (the original grim reaper's overlay texture) seems to appear, even though I replaced that one with a empty overlay, and double checked it in CTU.

I also deleted my caches before testing, so that shouldn't be the case.

I've uploaded the package file as well if someone wants to look at it's XML files/textures. I know that the multiplier is too bright though.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Greenie_amBodyReaperNPC_73DFECB1 - Copy.zip (4.20 MB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Please don't claim it as your own though! >.< Besides, it's kind of broken at this state
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 10:10 PM
I think the issue is the hood being transparent, and the black part is the cone shape of the mesh.

Edit: the original multiplier doesn't seem to use an alpha channel, maybe it's that? You may also be experiencing issues because your mask has 4 channels and the outfit is using the RGB mask (for three channels).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:02 PM
Hmm I do remember adding a alpha channel to it. Not sure if it somehow deleted it (Which I doubt, but I noticed the alpha disappearing in CTU, Not sure wether it supports transparency or not). The RGB channels... hmm I did remember setting those to 2 channels in CTU. Not sure why it would do that... I guess that might be the reason why, but then i'm not entirely sure why the game re-generates the overlay textures again.

I'll look into the channels thingy. if not, double-double check the multiplier's alpha channel ^-~.

Actually, now i'm thinking about it, it might also be the way I exported my meshes from a tsrw package to the default replacement package (because I'm lazy :P) Might wanna check it's materials textures in the GEOM files that I replaced.

I'll let you know if it's either of those things! ^-^
Alchemist
#4 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:33 PM
I think I figured out why it shows the overlay: CTU doesn't update XMLs properly. In the amBodyReaperNPC XML, the Overlay is still set to 4335E22B230A2DF9, which is the file for the original reaper overlay. Your preset XML under the CASP entry, on the other hand, has updated properly (though you could save yourself some file size and just link it to 75F8F21E0F143CAC, the tiny empty overlay, instead).

But I tested it and it's not just that, perhaps the original texture is being referenced elsewhere in the file?

(A moment of silence for the Sim who's had to sacrifice herself so many times for testing purposes )

Edit: it's also being referenced in the amBodyReaperNPCCasRgbMask_Body_diffuse TXTC, second-to-last entry.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 1:37 PM
I was gonna write a whole essay about alpha maps and mesh thingamajigs here...but you guys have ten times my knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Can you please pretend that I just said something really wicked smaht?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I think I figured out why it shows the overlay: CTU doesn't update XMLs properly. In the amBodyReaperNPC XML, the Overlay is still set to 4335E22B230A2DF9, which is the file for the original reaper overlay. Your preset XML under the CASP entry, on the other hand, has updated properly (though you could save yourself some file size and just link it to 75F8F21E0F143CAC, the tiny empty overlay, instead).

But I tested it and it's not just that, perhaps the original texture is being referenced elsewhere in the file?

Edit: it's also being referenced in the amBodyReaperNPCCasRgbMask_Body_diffuse TXTC, second-to-last entry.

Ahh seems like I do need to replace some stuff in the XML files and the GEOM files, I'll look into that! Thanks sweetdevil! You're awesome!^-^

Quote:
(A moment of silence for the Sim who's had to sacrifice herself so many times for testing purposes )

Heh let us all have a moment of silence for the sim and the 6 horses we killed of, lol. Seems like we kept grimmy busy

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I was gonna write a whole essay about alpha maps and mesh thingamajigs here...but you guys have ten times my knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Can you please pretend that I just said something really wicked smaht?

*sits next to her printer, printing GrijzePilion's essay* This is some wicked stuff! Here's also a blank page called 'Greenie's humor'. Because... I'm not funny at all... get it? ... *slowly backs off
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 8:39 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 7th Apr 2017 at 8:42 PM. Reason: Adding file
Allright, @sweetdevil. I tried editing the XML file, (Only changed the instances) And they... kinda worked. but now the issues are reversed! Because now the mesh isn't working and the orginal textures are showing when going into CAS.

Then, I decided to look up that awesome tutorial you made: https://sweetdevil-sims.tumblr.com/...-explain-how-to
And decided to clean the img files in the CASParts's TGIblocks, but uhm... it really didn't like that! the only thing I did was replacing the GEOM file again (replacing, not importing ) And the TGIblocks. I checked if the instances were equal to the ones in my package, which some of them were, but it left me some empty TGI blocks which might be the reason why it isn't showing the mesh at all.

And according to the game and caches, my textures (I cleared them before testing this version by the way! ^-^) seems to work but then again it's showing up with this nasty overlay texture.

EDIT: Heh forgot to include the latest version's file
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Greenie_amBodyReaperNPC_73DFECB1 - Copy.zip (3.09 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#8 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 10:10 PM
I wouldn't get into cleaning anything yet, haha XD At this point we have to weed out the issues (and those textures aren't really that big anyway).

I wonder if replacing 646B487723D17864 would do...something good; 646B487723D17864 is a "base" resource, a lot of CASP (and probably OBJD, haven't looked) items use it and may conflict. In this case it would be better to change instances of it with your mask. There's a "Part Mask" entry around the middle of the XMLs too, and I think that has to be replaced too. I haven't had time to do extensive testing, will look more into it tomorrow.

Interestingly, I replaced your RGBA mask with an RGB one (separated the two channels into Red and Green) and didn't have issues with the transparency.

Looking at the TXTCs and VPXY, they're identical to the original Grim mesh, so it means they are being referenced.

Grim looks more spoopy with no mesh anyway, I'd just troll players with an invisible reaper It's a feature, not a bug!

Edit: Orrr you could just delete the textures in the game files. No textures = no wrong reads! (Readers, please don't do this.)

Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 12:47 AM
It's a feature, not a bug!

Edit: Orrr you could just delete the textures in the game files. No textures = no wrong reads!

This is, of course, the software engineer's tried and unsurpassed approach to solving problems.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )