Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 9:36 PM
Alright, I have epilogue of Chapter 2 done: http://birdyflynothingisfree.wordpr...e-of-chapter-2/
Next up will be chapter 3. Since it is a challenge, I added the stats at the bottom too.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:06 PM
I'm enjoying your story birdyfly! :-) Mushi is totally adorable!

I just got back from the cinema (Muppets, yay!) so haven't played any more this evening, but I posted a couple of Luke & Rebecca's wedding photos here if anyone's interested. As it was a bit of a rush, they just had a private wedding in the back garden. I love the views from that lot!
Forum Resident
#78 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:11 PM
Thank you. Not meaning to be biased on my own sims, but he is my favorite character. :P

I love your wedding pictures. I love the scenery that you used to set up your wedding as well.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:15 PM
I can totally understand that! He's adorable. I have almost got my active household down to a more manageable size, when I do I may get them a dog. I really like the Sims 3 pets, I think they're cute. And Mushi thinks cute as well as looks cute! :-)

Thanks :-) I tend to focus more on the scenery at weddings than I do on the people! Rebecca's older brother Marcus married his sweetheart at the falls in Sunset Valley - I spent so much time setting up the photos all the guests hated the party, but oh well! :-D I love taking photos in RL, so sims photos are a continuation of that for me in some ways. Weddings are my favourite :-)
Scholar
#80 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:46 PM
I just love telling stories, and using photos makes setting the scene SO much easier. I love being able to get reactions and make people feel genuine emotion when they read my stuff. I don't always succeed, but I have my moments.

This may be one of those moments:

Ch. 3 - Guardian http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...3-guardian.html

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Mad Poster
#81 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:10 AM
I made a family tree for the Underwoods and everyone. Living sims' names are in black, deceased sims' names are in grey. All sims on the tree have their birth surnames - all of the married female sims actually use their husbands' surnames now that they're married. Obviously it's still in process, as it will change over time, and I also want to add pictures and more information at some point!

ReyaD, the pictures on your latest blog post don't seem to be loading! Is the problem on my end or yours?
Scholar
#82 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:36 AM
Laura: The pictures seem to be loading on my end just fine. And I just asked some of the guys on chat, they can all see them as well. Dunno what it could be... but sometimes Blogger does just act up for the heck of it.

EDIT: Nvm, its a blogger problem. Some other people are having trouble reading the random legacies as well. Do you read on your mobile? Try switching to a computer and that should at least let you read it until the problem is fixed.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Test Subject
#83 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:24 AM
So, I'm really liking reading through all of your story updates and blogs! Lunch time is so much more entertaining now that I have new stories to look through I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this challenge, and wanted to try it in a brand new world (new to my game anyway). Just got the Silent Hill world created by Evincryg and I think it would be the perfect atmosphere for the story I have in mind. I was thinking that instead of tearing down all of the residential buildings around the center of the town, I could instead change their classification to be community lots and make them "No Visitors Allowed". The outsides of these buildings work so well for the atmosphere I'm looking for, but I want to make sure changing the setting will do what I need it to, and I've never tried this out myself. Anyone know if this would potentially settle the residential lots being empty requirement?
Scholar
#84 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:43 AM
What you could do if you wanted to save the lots and were worried about that idea working is saving all the lots to the bin. Then as you unlocked them you could place them back. You'd have to make sure your family still "bought" them where necessary, but it should work too.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Test Subject
#85 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:59 AM
Ok so I'm making a little progress. I have 5 sims in my house hold. One just maxed gardening, now I just need to get enough money to buy the supermarket.

The rest are each working on skills, one is maxing riding, one is trying to max charisma, and I've not yet decided what the other 2 will work on. I have 2 sets of adults so far.

Brandon Shores (Founder) married Cristina Easton (Mail Carrier) son Rider Shores (toddler) has an IF named Puzzle

Noel Billings (She was the sim that brought the Horse Cristina Adopted) married to Nelson Lockheart (Paparazzi)

Brandon (working on the Supermarket level 10 gardening)
Cristina (working on Equestrian Center level 5 riding)
Noel (level 5 Charisma City Hall)
Nelson (undecided)
Rider (too young/undecided)

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Forum Resident
#86 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:50 AM
Just a short introduction to Chapter 3. Nothing too special. I decided to make a short love story to take a break from all the skill building:
http://birdyflynothingisfree.wordpr...of-all-romance/
Field Researcher
#87 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 5:16 AM
I actually like this and it suits a few sims that I had just created today! *hurries off to set up riverview with NOTHING*
Field Researcher
#88 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 6:03 AM
I think there should be a way to earn new CAS sims bc it seems to me that there will eventually be a big inbreeding problem in the town im making.......
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 7:33 AM Last edited by Klevkin : 18th Feb 2012 at 7:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
I think there should be a way to earn new CAS sims bc it seems to me that there will eventually be a big inbreeding problem in the town im making.......

I disagree there are enough npc Sims spawning to not inbreed if you don't want to. You just have to make a little effort. Otherwise, IMO it's still pixels so I see no problem with the allowed marriage that Ea allows between distant family members.

Okay off to read the rest of the posts in here :p

EDIT: didn't mean to sound harsh by the way, just opening up the discussion after all I'm the one that tweaked the one cas Sim rule for stupid sentimental reasons
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 7:53 AM
Double posts I know but just in case someone sends while I'm responding!

Rofl at cece, that would have been me having problems with blogger as well. It should pass cause it just happens every now and then, mostly when I'm on my phone though!
And Yay for sucky world so laura is back Hehe. I loved your pictures! And the short stories you give with them! Your family tree is coming asking nicely! How do you create you family tree? I'm gonna make one myself, but I'll just use the online tool on familyecho.com

Birdyfly, haven't read your blog completely yet cause of the picture problem, but so far I enjoy the story writing!
Mad Poster
#91 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:35 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 18th Feb 2012 at 7:02 PM.
ReyaD, the pictures are fine now. I was actually on my laptop, but I really wanted to see the pictures and not just read the text! Very very cool update! Loving the thought that's gone into the back story! :-)

Birdyfly - all I can say is AWWWWWWWWW! I'm starting to like Mushi more than I like my own sims; my main household is definitely going to have to get a pet soon!

Sounds like you're getting on well Simbody872. I see that you've gone for the "more than one couple in a house" approach - I did that too, it's incredibly helpful when it comes to unlocking community lots and earning enough money to buy them! And it certainly makes the household interesting to play. Do you use a "more than 8 sims on a lot" mod?

Mirheart, I see no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work (though I'm no Sims 3 expert - I've only been playing for a couple of months; I stayed with Sims 2 until my old laptop died!). I expect that Zokugai's suggestion would work too, but it would be quite tricky to put them all back in the right places and would possibly take up a ton of space in the lot library.

Zerhai, you'll be surprised at how "easy" (maybe that's not quite the right word!) it is to find unrelated sims for your sims to breed with as you go along. I guess it depends on which expansion packs you have - I have all of them, so I have lots of choice; mail delivery people, pizza delivery people, paparazzi, pet adoption people, repair people, social workers, the consignment store cashier, imaginary friends made real and Chinese/French/Egyptian locals (for those sims who have already unlocked their community lot and can travel to meet them). It's not the way I'd usually play, granted, but it does seem to work! :-) (I'm not using fire/burglar alarms until the fire station/police station have been unlocked, but if you did then firemen and policemen would also be available as potential mates)

Yeah, Klevkin, I managed to stay away from the challenge for all of 10 minutes! Quite a lot of people seem to like the new world, so maybe it will grow on me. I think it would actually work kind of well for this challenge, though how one would explain where the NPC's came from I'm not sure! I actually used Family Echo to make the family tree, but then copy pasted all the bits into Paint and fitted them together (because the online one doesn't display everything at once). It took quite a long time, and may not be doable for much longer as the number of kiddies in the third generation is increasing pretty quickly! Janis is due anytime now, and Kayleigh will be off looking for a mate and starting a family soon, and Marcus & Danielle will be having at least one together, as Philip isn't related to Danielle and I want a child from both of them to keep the lines going.

**EDIT** Janis had twin girls, Faith and Grace. She moved out into her own place, where she was joined by random sim Dan Deeman, who she has now married. Marcus & Danielle just had a son, James. Philip is now a teen. Kayleigh went to France to try and meet someone special, and ended up falling for explorer Cheng Yang Kay (three guesses where he's from!). He is now living with the Underwoods, he and Kayleigh are engaged, and they will be getting married tomorrow. The current family tree can be viewed here - I haven't decided whether to try and do it in Paint again - it's getting complicated!

**EDIT AGAIN** Janis and Dan got divorced, thanks to story progression. Just after they got divorced their daughter Katherine was born. Kayleigh and Cheng Yang are now married, and have moved to their own place. Kayleigh may be pregnant. After Kayleigh and Cheng Yang moved out, Philip adopted a dog, Mojo, to keep him company. Mojo will eventually move out with Philip.

Current Households:

- The Underwoods - Cheng Yang Kay (A), Marcus Underwood (YA), Danielle Underwood (YA), Kayleigh Underwood (YA), Philip Underwood (Te), James Underwood (B), Mojo Underwood (adult dog)
- The Lindleys - Luke Lindley (E), Rebecca Lindley (YA), Oliver Lindley (To), Gareth Lindley (To)
- The Deemans - Janis Rosado (A), Dan Deeman (?), Faith Rosado (To), Grace Rosado (To), Katherine Rosado (B)
- The Kays - Cheng Yang Kay (A), Kayleigh Kay (YA)

Current Community Lots:

- Supermarket (Laura)
- Bookstore (Alma)
- Fishing Spot (Dave)
- Consignment Store (Graham)
- Graveyard (Kayleigh)
- Laundrette (Rebecca)
- Military Base (Luke)
- Junkyard (Marcus)
- Day Spa (Janis)

Planned Future Community Lots:

- Poolside Club, probably (Danielle) (Painting 3, Guitar 10, 1 celebrity star)
- Undecided (Philip)
- Undecided (James)
Field Researcher
#92 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Klevkin
I disagree there are enough npc Sims spawning to not inbreed if you don't want to. You just have to make a little effort. Otherwise, IMO it's still pixels so I see no problem with the allowed marriage that Ea allows between distant family members.

Okay off to read the rest of the posts in here :p

EDIT: didn't mean to sound harsh by the way, just opening up the discussion after all I'm the one that tweaked the one cas Sim rule for stupid sentimental reasons
yes but IMO that would be rather boring..... adding another would simply make the gene pool more interesting, and if they are earned like everything else why would there be a problem?
Mad Poster
#93 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 4:58 PM
Zerhai - I guess that some people, including me, see finding suitable mates from the NPC population as being part of the challenge. Everything else in the challenge has to be earned by some logical method- by paying for it and learning the relevant skills; how would one earn a sim? I know that in the Sims 2 BACC one could "earn" CAS sims, but given how the Sims 3 works with story progression and all I do prefer doing it like this.

If you did decide to adapt the rules a little for yourself and allow yourself to create a CAS sim as long as you could afford to build them a house and move them into it using your active family's funds, you wouldn't be the only one playing like that - ReyaD is allowing CAS sims for her attempt at the challenge :-)
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
yes but IMO that would be rather boring..... adding another would simply make the gene pool more interesting, and if they are earned like everything else why would there be a problem?

NPC's can make the gene pool more interesting, they are generally not based on your current sim, but on all the sims in your simbin.
I think it's one of the major parts of this challenge, start out with one sim, and see how you can create a thriving city.

But as Laura said, nobody is forcing you to follow the rules to the letter. I played around with them as well. If you really think it is necessary to have more CAS created sims, you could decide to just do it

As the creator mentioned on page one
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Hey, taking a challenge and tweaking the rules just a little just to suit your tastes is tradition! Just so long as you don't claim that you're doing it perfectly right.
Forum Resident
#95 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 8:01 PM
Thank you for the compliments. I felt Mushi needed a companion.

For me, I started with just a husband and wife due to trying to make this as challenging as I could population wise. I am surprised that there are still quite a few NPC's out there as well to befriend. It's a little creepy the paparazzi just stand at my house though since it's the only lot in the world. My sims aren't even celebrities. :P
Field Researcher
#96 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 8:48 PM
I will get back to you how how you could possibly earn a sim..... another thought what about the sims that come out of the time machine...... what would u do with them *personally I find them very fun and the YA's and the elders can be moved out immediately....
btw the only sims i see come out of the story progression is sims that look like the default sims (and i have quite a few sims saved in my simbin) they don't use any of my alternate skintones(of which I have alot and i have alot of sims using those skin tones) I also have alot of sims in my simbin with pointed ears and never have I seen a pointed eared sim come out of there......
Scholar
#97 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 8:55 PM
I'm going to be starting this challenge over with a new household. In my defense:

I'm pretty much morally required to use that.^ Also, the curfew police got too annoying and I think disabling them would be too cheaty.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 8:58 PM
Might start this challenge soon... -.-
Any tips before I start?

Starfish Sims | Hyland Legacy
Random Legacy - Gen 1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#99 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sophieridley
Might start this challenge soon... -.-
Any tips before I start?

Tips? Oh, I have a few...

Come up with a strategy for at least the first generation or so before you start. Know beforehand which community lots are most important to you and how they're earned, and plan accordingly. Some of the ones you really, really want may be extremely difficult to earn with generation 1, so be careful with the first few. Charisma, for example, requires your Sim to know a lot of Sims and that will be difficult when you start off. Some of the more expensive ones may be difficult to make enough money for as well.

Give your CAS Sim traits to be good at something that makes a lot of money (Painting and Sculpting are probably the best options, though depending on your strategy something else may be better for you) but also those that will earn them the first community lot you want. Pick a LTW that has nothing to do with a career or large numbers of Sims, except possibly the one for having a large family.

In the very beginning, making money to get more residences seems to be even more important than earning community lots - getting a lot of neighbors early on helps a lot down the road. Since there's no limit on how fast you earn residences, you can earn a lot of them while community lots are earned more slowly since you can only earn 1 per Sim, usually only after they've maxed one or more skills and that takes a lot of time. So money is extremely important - you'll need a lot of it and you probably will have a hard time getting it at first.
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 11:07 PM
Would gardening not really be recommended as a first gen type of thing then and thanks for the tips!
Might try get the book store because would sure help get thoose stats up!

Starfish Sims | Hyland Legacy
Random Legacy - Gen 1
Page 4 of 39