Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 9:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default A bunch of random package files suddenly appeared in my downloads folder shortly after downloading some expansion packs?
There's 93 of them and they all have long nonsensical names like d1b771d555dd934786be98b84e1a8b00.
About half of them appeared before I even started playing the game after installation of the expansions (seasons~), and then a bunch more after playing once.
Is this a normal occurrence? Should I just leave them there?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 9:56 AM Last edited by simsample : 13th Aug 2017 at 2:39 PM.
Have you installed Sims2Packs in the past? It's possible that you had some files in your teleport folder that installed when you launched the game. I've noticed that sometimes files get 'stuck' in the teleport folder and can stay there for a while, so maybe your EP update kickstarted it somehow.

Whatever the cause, I would delete them- if you don't know what they are and you don't know what they do, they have no place there so get rid.

Edit: Typo, I meant Sims2packs, of course!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Have you installed Sims3Packs in the past? It's possible that you had some files in your teleport folder that installed when you launched the game. I've noticed that sometimes files get 'stuck' in the teleport folder and can stay there for a while, so maybe your EP update kickstarted it somehow.

Whatever the cause, I would delete them- if you don't know what they are and you don't know what they do, they have no place there so get rid.

Thanks for your suggestion, that could be it. Do files in the teleport folder generally have long nonsensical names like that?
I also downloaded all the patches along with the expansions.....is it possible those patches added a bunch of stuff into my downloads folder? Wouldn't want to mess with the patches...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 10:39 AM
The teleport function unpacks a teleport file and gives it a hashed name, which could look like the names you are describing.

Patches change the gamedata files, and do not add or remove anything from the Downloads folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The teleport function unpacks a teleport file and gives it a hashed name, which could look like the names you are describing.

Patches change the gamedata files, and do not add or remove anything from the Downloads folder.

Guess I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to how the game stores files, sorry if this seemed like an obvious question, and thank you so much for your speedy help!! :lovestruc
Alchemist
#6 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 9:23 PM
Clean Installer can both identify and delete any custom content.
also the main site's Content Manager. accessible through Wayback Machine version of site.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:25 PM
Is this post for Sims 3 or Sims 2, this is the Sims 2 help section.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158