Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I get that this is how it's being dealt with right now, but there has to be a better way to moderate blogs without screwing over innocent bloggers. And since we're talking spam, shouldn't false reports be considered spam? They're neither constructive nor helpful. It just doesn't seem fair for the reporting user to be completely blame-free while the reported blog gets shut down.

Found this the other day.
Apparently even linking these blogs is against TOS. So if someone reported a non-creator for linking, it wouldn't be a "false" because they're still wrong in tumblrs eyes. It's kinda wild.

http://immortalsims.tumblr.com/post...-got-my-account
^^^
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#27 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 10:06 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 15th Feb 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Automatically terminated?

... so I guess I'm suppose to remember all these. I wouldn't even know where to start if my blog was automatically terminated, a good thing I don't repost things, even though that's part of the communication on tumblr, I guess, so I feel like I should ...

I can't find anything about that blog on their guidelines or a link to any list, is it just me? https://www.tumblr.com/policy/en/community
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#28 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 10:54 AM
The blog Weisskreuz linked to was reblogging/posting links to another tumblr that was not only using AdFly links.. but they were uploading converted content and had been asked by the original creators of that content to stop. (So that blog was violating 2 of tumblr's posting rules.)

Reading the notes on the linked blog was a bit of a lol situation. Someone mentioned Simfileshare not being safe now. Simfileshare should be perfectly safe - even though people are using AdFly links for stuff they uploaded there.

All in all, tumblr can remove whatever they want without notice and if people would read the rules before posting, they'd have less to complain about.
dodgy builder
#29 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 11:27 AM
Yes, that's what they do with adfly links, they are often gobetweens I've noticed.

... so you expect someone who is just reposting someone else's creations to know that on beforehand?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#30 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
... so you expect someone who is just reposting someone else's creations to know that on beforehand?

I don't - tumblr does. Or at the very least it seems they expect you to know.
Instructor
#31 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Reading the notes on the linked blog was a bit of a lol situation. Someone mentioned Simfileshare not being safe now. Simfileshare should be perfectly safe - even though people are using AdFly links for stuff they uploaded there.

Simfileshare is a file hosting site, Adf.ly is not ... people use Adf.ly with Mediafire, Simfileshare, OneDrive, etc ... and that is the difference, Mediafire as bad it might be its not deceptive since they are hosting the files, the ads might be bad but its not a redirect page as Adf.ly is, just because the file hosting site have advertisement doesnt make it deceptive, a link to a redirect page on the other hand ...

I don't - tumblr does. Or at the very least it seems they expect you to know.

If they changed the Terms of Services, they likely informed you the TOS was changed, at that point they do assume you read the thing and accepted ... yes, its a one way street but it always been a one way street, either you accept it or stop using the service.
dodgy builder
#32 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 8:43 PM
Read the tou sure, but as I said I never do anything wrong and hardly communicate in that way at all. At the most I comment. I don't expect commenting to be wrong, and I only link my own creations. I might repost Nilxis telling us about his most recent creations, but he wouldn't steal anything.

... and frankly Tumblr isn't my home, I have my own blog.

I feel for those cc blogs though. It's a lot of extra work for them.

... and 1 wrong move and if you're on holiday?
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
It's in Tumblr's TOS that you are not supposed to use Adfly and other services like that. It's also in Google's for Blogger, but people seem to get away with it more easily there.

Tumblr is deleting blogs that have Adfly links in their posts and the blogs of people who have reblogged posts with them in it. I personally hate Adfly and I won't download from people who use it. It seems to be a new trend these days, because I don't remember this back during the Sims 3 days or else it was a smaller portion of the community and not as noticeable.

I see it all the time with Sims 3, especially artists on Tumblr. Adfly is the worst and always sets alarms off within my computer that lead to spam sites and malware. I hate it so much and wish CC designers would choose other ways to make money off their creations instead of linking their users to viruses and such.

you and me together, we were gemini feed
Scholar
#34 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BMVagabond
I see it all the time with Sims 3, especially artists on Tumblr. Adfly is the worst and always sets alarms off within my computer that lead to spam sites and malware. I hate it so much and wish CC designers would choose other ways to make money off their creations instead of linking their users to viruses and such.

I haven't downloaded any custom content for Sims 3 in quite awhile, the last time was a few things from here. I actually uninstalled it awhile back, because I never play it any more. This must be the new thing across the Sims community - does it happen with Sims 2? Somehow I'm guessing probably not.

I was just on the Nexus browsing for Skyrim mods and it's ironic how all the Skyrim modders I know are against this kind of thing. I know a few went for the paid mods back when that happened, but most modders don't solicit donations or believe in taking money for modding game content. The ones that do, in my mind, deserve it unlike 99% of the creators I see in the Sims community.
Instructor
#35 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 2:57 AM
The Sims Modding Community was "pro-pay" for a long while, it started with TS1 with the dotcom crash were many sites gone pay to pay hosting and I can understand that to a degree, back then hosting became very expensive and there werent many, if any, free file storage solutions.

It just got worst, or rather, it became entirely transparent people were into it for the money with TS2 because you had sites asking money for a color flood recolor anyone could do with Paint (since TS2 had Bodyshop for retextures), it was absurd at launch and this is about when Mod The Sims come about as Mod The Sims 2, TSR even tried to buy it back them ... this lasted for about the entirely of TS2 even if many pay sides closed and many free content was available, it was TS3 that changed things and I suspect the more ... "mercenary" part of the community simply switched to Second Life, also TS3 Create a Style made many CC not really appiiable anymore, we needed exactly needed recolor textures because it handled that itself, this pushed for more "technical" modding with mesh creation being more important then ever as retextures were less relevant.

But something happened in TS3 that pushed the former mostly pay community into almost entirely free community, I wasnt around so I cannot tell but I suspect this was because the entry point of creating CC in TS3 was much higher that TS2 so less people could get into it, then come TS4 that I dont think was as successful as TS3, most "pay for mods" had left the community in TS2-3 and there isnt a excuse like in TS1 to go pay, in fact site and file hosting never been easier.

Also I noticed one thing, there doesnt seem to be as much drama as before, I suspect without the monetary incentive to steal other works and to protect your own work, people are more relaxed .over things ... I know that Steam attempted to monetize modding with Steam Workshop and Gabe is still at it (poor guy doesnt understand if modding goes pay, they wont use Steam unless they would had to, why pay the middleman unless they are forced, of course thats part of the plan now isnt Gabe?) but that would be .... destructive to the community, unlike The Sims that for a very long time was Pro-Pay, TES community always been pro-free, despite Steam and Bethseda attempts to put more fingers in the pie they dont want to abandon that position, in fact Steam Workshop had no attempts to control over who actually created the mod and many mods were uploaded not by their original creator but someone else that attempts to get some cash out of it.

Pay redirect pages are kinda of a new thing but since the start, people have monetized The Sims CC, its sadly part of the community DNA were you can sell it and nobody bats a eye ...
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:40 AM
I rarely used TSR because of how you had to pay for stuff and they penalize you for having Adblock when the ads slow down the site considerably and make things extremely unpleasant to use.

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:43 AM
I haven't downloaded any custom content for Sims 3 in quite awhile, the last time was a few things from here. I actually uninstalled it awhile back, because I never play it any more. This must be the new thing across the Sims community - does it happen with Sims 2? Somehow I'm guessing probably not.

Never saw it with Sims 2. Of course, last time I played Sims 2 with CC was 2012. I knew of a site to get paid CC for free because it was wrong to have to pay for fashion and beauty in a video game.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#38 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:09 AM
BMVagabond - TS2 creators do use AdFly, I see it on the TS2 updates thread at SimsCave all the time. It's mostly recolors and the mesh might be included. (Making money off of someone else's creation? Guaranteed to make me NOT download your recolors.)
Scholar
#39 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
The Sims Modding Community was "pro-pay" for a long while, it started with TS1 with the dotcom crash were many sites gone pay to pay hosting and I can understand that to a degree, back then hosting became very expensive and there werent many, if any, free file storage solutions.

It just got worst, or rather, it became entirely transparent people were into it for the money with TS2 because you had sites asking money for a color flood recolor anyone could do with Paint (since TS2 had Bodyshop for retextures), it was absurd at launch and this is about when Mod The Sims come about as Mod The Sims 2, TSR even tried to buy it back them ... this lasted for about the entirely of TS2 even if many pay sides closed and many free content was available, it was TS3 that changed things and I suspect the more ... "mercenary" part of the community simply switched to Second Life, also TS3 Create a Style made many CC not really appiiable anymore, we needed exactly needed recolor textures because it handled that itself, this pushed for more "technical" modding with mesh creation being more important then ever as retextures were less relevant.

But something happened in TS3 that pushed the former mostly pay community into almost entirely free community, I wasnt around so I cannot tell but I suspect this was because the entry point of creating CC in TS3 was much higher that TS2 so less people could get into it, then come TS4 that I dont think was as successful as TS3, most "pay for mods" had left the community in TS2-3 and there isnt a excuse like in TS1 to go pay, in fact site and file hosting never been easier.

Also I noticed one thing, there doesnt seem to be as much drama as before, I suspect without the monetary incentive to steal other works and to protect your own work, people are more relaxed .over things ... I know that Steam attempted to monetize modding with Steam Workshop and Gabe is still at it (poor guy doesnt understand if modding goes pay, they wont use Steam unless they would had to, why pay the middleman unless they are forced, of course thats part of the plan now isnt Gabe?) but that would be .... destructive to the community, unlike The Sims that for a very long time was Pro-Pay, TES community always been pro-free, despite Steam and Bethseda attempts to put more fingers in the pie they dont want to abandon that position, in fact Steam Workshop had no attempts to control over who actually created the mod and many mods were uploaded not by their original creator but someone else that attempts to get some cash out of it.

Pay redirect pages are kinda of a new thing but since the start, people have monetized The Sims CC, its sadly part of the community DNA were you can sell it and nobody bats a eye ...

I totally forgot about TSR being a pay site. I rarely ever use it for Sims 4 and never did that much for Sims 3, because I don't like a lot of what they have anyway. I never played TS1. I just didn't play TS2 enough to get really into custom content like most people. I used custom content, but I know I never paid for anything. I can understand back then though about hosting costs and we didn't even know cloud storage would be a thing one day.

I respect the TES community for standing up against paid mods. It was a dark time in the Skyrim community and I'm glad it's over. I never use Steam to get mods. No way. I don't like the way it works. And, of course, now Bethesda has their own site and mod launcher. Another reason not to play Special Edition. I'll stick to my good old 32bit Skyrim instead.

I know nothing about Second Life. I had a friend who was into it briefly and I thought it was just, weird. I don't know. Not my thing. I understand now from reading about all this monetization craziness that the really greedy folks are in the Second Life community. Good for them - they can stay there.

BMVagabond - TS2 creators do use AdFly, I see it on the TS2 updates thread at SimsCave all the time. It's mostly recolors and the mesh might be included. (Making money off of someone else's creation? Guaranteed to make me NOT download your recolors.)

Seriously?! That's just wrong. Period.
Scholar
#40 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 10:45 AM
I know nothing about Second Life. I had a friend who was into it briefly and I thought it was just, weird. I don't know. Not my thing. I understand now from reading about all this monetization craziness that the really greedy folks are in the Second Life community. Good for them - they can stay there.

well the Sims community had the pay site wars a couple of years ago, and we've had this tradition of appreciating and encouraging free creations, so the community's tolerance for this kind of thing is very low compared to other communities.
Sometimes I kinda miss those old days when things went down in sims town.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Instructor
#41 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:15 PM
I totally forgot about TSR being a pay site. I rarely ever use it for Sims 4 and never did that much for Sims 3, because I don't like a lot of what they have anyway. I never played TS1. I just didn't play TS2 enough to get really into custom content like most people. I used custom content, but I know I never paid for anything. I can understand back then though about hosting costs and we didn't even know cloud storage would be a thing one day.

TSR was old school, it was a subscription instead of pay per download so what usually happened was people subbed for a month, go in a download spree and see you back in six months so it wasnt the worst offender but was still a paywall.

I do find it odd you dont use it for TS4 since as far as hair and shoes goes, thats about the only place.

Quote:
I respect the TES community for standing up against paid mods. It was a dark time in the Skyrim community and I'm glad it's over. I never use Steam to get mods. No way. I don't like the way it works. And, of course, now Bethesda has their own site and mod launcher. Another reason not to play Special Edition. I'll stick to my good old 32bit Skyrim instead.

Mods still work with the SE, its just its 64 bit so SKSE doesnt work (because its 64 bit, SKSE is 32), they are working on a SE version of SKSE so eventually everything will work on SE, just not right now ... of course Bethesda could have modified their scrip for having the same functions provided by SKSE and save everyone a lot of trouble, I got SE by default because it was free as I owned the Legendary Edition.

Of course they want a piece of the pie and this is why The Sims should serve as a cautionary tale, 6 years ago the Sims Community was thriving and pro-pay, today its a shadow of its former CC glory ... they forget one thing, tools are required for modding and they cannot provide them, they arent going to make plugins for 3DMax and other meshing programs, they RELY on people to do them and when you are taking a cut, dont expect those tools to not come without a licensing fee, this also cuts into the amount of people that go into modding and the expectations of the quality of the mod, free? it a hobby and didnt cost me anything so I cannot hold the creator to anything ... pay? I have expectations not only of the quality but also of the continued support and if you play TES games you know Bethesda tends to release buggy games that ended up being broken when a expansion or DLC comes out, if I make a mod for free and stop caring about the game nobody can expect me to update it because there is a patch that broke it, however if I take people money then its a different story.

Quote:

I just seen familiar names when I browsed the Second Life Stores, I know it long been monetized.

In a way it makes sense, Second Life is old game and if you look at it, its seems to be about the same technological level as TS2 so it made the transition from TS2 to SL easier that from TS2 to TS3 that was a more technical complicated game, in a way you can hardly blame then since TS3 had no tools to work with, EA likes to talk about The Sims success but they kinda stopped supplying tools when TS3 come about, kinda hard to create CC when you are entirely reliable on 3rd party mods to create them, the success was certainly despite EA after TS2 and not because of them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 8:52 PM
Her tumblr is back up!!! http://ladyhayny.tumblr.com/

Edit: I personally, as a creator/artist myself, always choose the adfly link if its a choice. Sure, its annoying and takes a lot longer. But; I'm supporting those creators. They make a lot more money through link shorteners than donations. And sometimes, that money is a vital need. So if I have a choice, I ALWAYS use adfly.
Test Subject
#43 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Her tumblr is back up!!! http://ladyhayny.tumblr.com/

Seems like its down again.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 5:14 PM
necroing to say that I found a video of her on youtube saying that yup her blog keeps getting deleted and that she'll turn to making tutorial video on how to create items for Sims 4 instead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ADv06h8iO0)
I was hoping for an update on one of her dress I have which doesn't seem to have proper morph for fat sims, I guess I'll just remove the random tag on the dress.
Test Subject
#45 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 4:34 PM
Hey! it's me
Indeed, tumblr is really disappointing recently, does anyone know if a new platform has taken over? I want to create new stuff more and more, but I always get discouraged by my tumblr being down :c
I've started making a wordpress blog but I'm not sure where I should share the links ^^
(Also, the tutorial is still in the process of being written, for those who might be interested)
Scholar
#46 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hayny
Hey! it's me
Indeed, tumblr is really disappointing recently, does anyone know if a new platform has taken over? I want to create new stuff more and more, but I always get discouraged by my tumblr being down :c
I've started making a wordpress blog but I'm not sure where I should share the links ^^
(Also, the tutorial is still in the process of being written, for those who might be interested)

Wix works and it looks pretty good most of the time, It can discourage some people since...when most people use wix to host their cc they use the shop templates which makes it look like you're selling your content but the more savvy will understand that if you don't ask for any payment info or you have a disclaimer you're obv not selling your cc.
Test Subject
#47 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 11:23 AM
Wix sounds good ^^
should make a new tumblr to list and reference the links to my cc for the people who don't look for me specifically?
Page 2 of 2