Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 8:32 PM
Default How Will We Interpret 3t2 Traits For Modding Sims 2?
One of the hottest new things to happen in Sims 2, imo, is Hexagonal-bipyramid's 3t2 Traits Project. But, in looking over the list of traits, I realized that I don't always know what other people think they mean and I don't always see ones I would like to use.

Traits with GUIDs for Modders

Part of my issue is that I've never played Sims 3. I see there's a Wiki guide to Sims 3 Traits, so will modders be sticking to those definitions? If so, what about traits like... "Not Smart" (What's a nice word for that - Gullible, Foolish, Silly, Dopey - ike the dwarf in Snow White?) or Jealous? Those are two traits I'd like to see in my game. Absent-Minded isn't really the same thing. Does Hot-headed work for Jealous?

It seems to me, if we don't have some shared idea of what the traits mean, we could come up with mods with the same traits that don't conflict technically, but don't always makes sense logically with other mods using the same traits.

What do you think? Are there enough traits now or are there other traits you'd like to see? Should we use the same traits and interpret them differently if needed or make new ones? Will the Sims 3 definitions hold with a new audience who might be interpreting them for the first time or are modders just going to be implementing Sims 3 ideas in Sims 2? (I doubt this, as I already see lots of new ideas for them.) I think it's all going to be very interesting to see what happens with it, and I'd like to hear your ideas about how they can be interpreted.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 9:20 PM
Well, imho, it all depends... from the modder?

I mean, the few times I've played TS3 I wasn't very interested in the traits, nor I have played enough to see how the affect the gameplay, so I'm not very interested in having a direct 3t2 trait system, although I find the idea very intriguing! I'm just waiting to get a decent amount of custom traits before adding them to my game.

I'm happy of the ideas I have read so far, I think that Hexagonal-bipyramid is doing a great job and I'm glad he/she found out how to implement them in the game. There are few more factors to consider: the TS2 gameplay is quite different from the TS3 one so it's impossible to get an exact replica of the original traits and, as you pointed out, one or more modders might come up with the same custom trait that acts in a slightly different way...

I guess that, at least at the beginning, it would be easier to just "adapt" the originals and then, eventually, I'm sure it will be possible to create completely new ones and, probably, some of the new ones introduced in TS4. Then it will be the user to decide which ones suit his gameplay more. I'm not fond of any particular trait atm, except maybe for the secret ones ? It would be interesting to have a pyromaniac trait like in the original TS2 trailer!
Alchemist
#3 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
It seems to me, if we don't have some shared idea of what the traits mean, we could come up with mods with the same traits that don't conflict technically, but don't always makes sense logically with other mods using the same traits.

I think this is fine. One of the best parts of Sims 2 is the level of customization. The traits are individual objects that do nothing, and the mods that affect them are being released separately. People will be able to mix and match traits from different modders and build a set of traits that fit their individual game, almost like you can with object recolors. Sims 4 has a set of traits just for toddlers that I think would be nice to have.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 10:13 PM
Kleptomaniac would be nice to have if implemented well... Really sims 2 personality/aspiration/chemistry/interests/hobby systems are way more complex and far more intertwined than simple trait assigning that sims 3 has that it can spawn a wide variety of personalities sims 3 can't. So I'm not really into it but, It can be helpful in adding that extra bit of dimension, like having sims that learn certain skills faster or som additional quirks that add even more to the sims character making them truly unique, way beyond what any other sims game can do.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 10:21 PM
The way I view them is that they're just one facet of a multi-faceted character. With 'hidden' traits that might shape the pixels lives more than a straight personality chart does.

For instance, if you have a 'dislikes children' assigned to a female, it makes the possibility of accidental pregnancy a more certain possibility. Like wise with other traits-but the way that Hexagonal is doing it by selecting specific traits to work with in modding is something I've looked for a long time.

I am really looking forward to the entire project being completed and useful in storylines-and I've already assigned a lot of traits by random chance. It's nice that they're being in addition to the personality, not in spite of it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrewInTheSky
I'm just waiting to get a decent amount of custom traits before adding them to my game.

I'm happy of the ideas I have read so far, I think that Hexagonal-bipyramid is doing a great job and I'm glad he/she found out how to implement them in the game. There are few more factors to consider: the TS2 gameplay is quite different from the TS3 one so it's impossible to get an exact replica of the original traits and, as you pointed out, one or more modders might come up with the same custom trait that acts in a slightly different way...

There are 99 of them now. That's a lot, imo. As omglo says the traits themselves don't do anything. They are simply inventory objects with pretty icons. Modders will check for a certain inventory object by GUID and then make a mod based on it. So, if what I have that object do and what someone else has that object do are not logically compatible, that would be a bit weird and, what's interesting to me, is that it introduces a new kind of conflict that I'm not sure we've seen before in the community.

This is a bit abstract, I know, but I think it's culturally very interesting. Our Sims 2 culture is quite interesting, anyway, and this is rather like when a large organization suddenly introduces a new set of bylaws. It takes a while to determine how they will be interpreted. But we could now, as a community of players and modders say, hey, let's all take these 99+ words and make them do things. How we interpret the words themselves might be interesting, especially since we are such a diverse community, not only in play style but in culture and language and I can see different "schools of thought" arising, those who think the definitions set by Sims 3 are "correct," for example. Anywho...

We can, of course, already invent new ones, since they are just icons in inventory with GUIDs, in fact MidgetheTree already has three new ones. I would guess that Hexagonal-bipyramid will incorporate those and other popular new ones into the Randomizer over time, so they all work the same way. If not, the new ones will just be independent mods based on inventory objects using the same style icon that Hex used for the 3t2s, which is fine, but if there are too many traits, I would think they would become less useful to players. I suspect the community will, over time, pare down the number of popular ones. I'm already planning to just use ones that interest me, to build my own set, as Omglo said. I also totally agree that they are an extra dimension as mixa97sr and FranH mentioned. I'm, personally, happy to have an extra layer, because I have felt the personalities, as is, getting a bit repetitive over time, and I'm especially happy to think people will make more autonomous actions based on the traits. A great many mods up to this point have focused on stopping autonomous action, but this seems to open the door for a wave in the other direction. For example, I have wanted for a long time for the Parenting Skill to actually have an affect on Sim parent behavior, but it doesn't. These types of mod may bring more of that kind of thing. I look forward to trying this method to make some mods myself. And the icons are pretty.

Still not sure if I should use Hot-Headed for Jealous, though, or Absent-Minded for Gullible or Silly or whatever polite word I can use for Not Smart. What do you guys think?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 7:28 AM
Since there mods for most of the traits yet, I'm just using them to guide for how I see my sims and how I direct them for now. I am considering trying the Annoying Games Suite at simlogical as well, and then giving sims with certain traits the ags objects to act autonomously - for example, nurturing sims would get the object that allows them to autonomously read to children while childish sims would get kid games for adults.

I'll probably also pair up some traits to create my own - for example, for a sim I'd consider to be jealous, I'd likely pair up hot-headed and hopeless romantic if they are jealous about their partner, or hot-headed with snob or frugal to represent a sim that is covetous and envious of others' possessions. I tend to forget to write biographies for a lot of my sims, so the traits that don't have mods associated will be a nice reminder of how I view a sim.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 10:08 AM
I am watching this project with interest too. However, I can't see me using most of the TS3 traits, because they are already covered in TS2. Couch potato is surely a sim with no active points? Athletic is a sim with high active points and Sports as their OTH? I can set jealousy using ACR.

However, I would like Animal lover, also Lucky and Unlucky. I can see a storyline about twins, one born lucky and the other unlucky...
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 10:16 AM
I'd be interested if they actually manage to make mods for the traits. Otherwise they'd just go in the inventory and be forgotten.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
I am watching this project with interest too. However, I can't see me using most of the TS3 traits, because they are already covered in TS2. Couch potato is surely a sim with no active points? Athletic is a sim with high active points and Sports as their OTH? I can set jealousy using ACR.

However, I would like Animal lover, also Lucky and Unlucky. I can see a storyline about twins, one born lucky and the other unlucky...

Hexagonal has stated that the assigned traits will not be repeated in a pixel if they already have the personality that reflects it-ie, a Libra (notoriously lazy) will not be assigned the 'couch potato' trait because the mod checks for the personality when assigning random traits.

As for 'too many traits', the mod does have a limit built into it so that traits do not exceed what TS3 had-which is 5 traits for an adult, and 3 for children. The randomizer is a very welcome touch because I'm forever conflicted about choosing traits.

Those traits you mentioned are in the mod-and in the animal case, they're 'cat lover' or dog lover', plus lucky and unlucky are part of it. Boy are those pixels in for a riotous time if they get those traits. They get a job, no 'ignore' chance cards. They play the hand they're given.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 12:13 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 15th Feb 2019 at 6:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
Since there mods for most of the traits yet, I'm just using them to guide for how I see my sims and how I direct them for now. I am considering trying the Annoying Games Suite at simlogical as well, and then giving sims with certain traits the ags objects to act autonomously - for example, nurturing sims would get the object that allows them to autonomously read to children while childish sims would get kid games for adults.

I'll probably also pair up some traits to create my own - for example, for a sim I'd consider to be jealous, I'd likely pair up hot-headed and hopeless romantic if they are jealous about their partner, or hot-headed with snob or frugal to represent a sim that is covetous and envious of others' possessions. I tend to forget to write biographies for a lot of my sims, so the traits that don't have mods associated will be a nice reminder of how I view a sim.

Wow, you have opened a whole new world for me. I have never seen AGS before. Brilliant. I gotta try that with the kicky bag for sure. And, of course, *face palm,* pair them up! Brilliant! Or really dumb on my part, but, hey, you get the credit, either way! Thanks! I do write biographies and descriptions and my own careers and all, so I'm really looking forward to making Sims behave autonomously they way they would in my head.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'd be interested if they actually manage to make mods for the traits. Otherwise they'd just go in the inventory and be forgotten.

There are already quite a few. The process seems fairly simple, use Hex's Easy Inventory Check as a gate to whatever mod you want. The simplest mods are to change motives or make something autonomous or stop them doing something.

For example, I'd like to stop my "Not Smart" sim from gaining logic even when he tries, poor thing. That should be easy. I also have nojealousyatall in my game, which I love, but I would like to turn it on for just one sim with the "Jealous" trait - we'll see if I can manage that, might be a little trickier because jealousy is bit complicated. I can imagine, for my own play, simply adding the gate to mods someone else already made as a quick way to accomplish some changes.

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Those traits you mentioned are in the mod-and in the animal case, they're 'cat lover' or dog lover', plus lucky and unlucky are part of it. Boy are those pixels in for a riotous time if they get those traits. They get a job, no 'ignore' chance cards. They play the hand they're given.

This is a good example of interpretation. Sounds like FranH sees these actions as being logical extensions of the traits (seems logical to me, too), but these actions only happen if the mod based on this combination of traits makes it happen by removing the Ignore on chance cards.

Aysarth and FranH bring up one factor that is going to make a big difference in how the mods develop and how players use them. It's whether players choose to use the Randomizer or not. Most of what FranH describes will only take place with the Randomizer. If you assign traits here and there, it will play quite differently, more like Aysarth describes, I think. I'm definitely planning to assign certain traits because I've been wanting that for a long time, and it's autonomy I'm after, but I can imagine, later, using the Randomizer for townies or new Sims just for fun. The thing is, though, making truly random play from using the Randomizer would only work if I have a LOT of mods installed to cause some random effect from it. Otherwise, yes, they are just icons in inventory adding to the head canon.
Scholar
#12 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 2:32 PM
If I may;

when in Sims 3 traits appeared I was very dissapointed they just got ride off existing system for a new - in theory much deeper, but in practical design and development very shallow. I know, I was naive to expect they enchance existing "points" with the "traits" instead just cut the corners.

There are, if I can propose, three types if traits (1) extremes, like "couch potato" which are simply put "1 or 10 points in something" ; (2) flawors like "romantic", "genius", "family oriented" which for some extend are resemblance of aspirations, and (3) most interesting: "twists" like "jealous", "kleptomaniac", "insane" and so on.

The latter does not reproduce existing mechanics directly, or they do not need to. If there a new mechanics (behaviours/conditionals) would be necessary, that is an opportunity. Oh guys just imagine antisocial (charisma 1) Romance aspiration, insane, jealous with "no sense of humor" and dense Romeo in action.

If someone insists there is also 4th group, which I'd call "reaction trait" like "supernatural fan" or "vegetarian", I'd treat them as possible mechanics' triggers.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Forum Resident
#13 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 5:36 PM
I think the traits system could be rather fun, but I'm a little uncertain still about how it'll change use of the inventory. I try not to use them as storage as such (ever since Loki died in another version of Strangetown taking all the medical equipment rewards that both he and Circe had earned with him -_-), but I do use it for quite a lot of other things in-game.

That makes me pause, and then so does the intricacy of the mods and things that might emerge around it. That said, it does sound interesting... I just don't know how I feel about traits either. I didn't enjoy Sims 3 at all, and I'm even confounded by how it aids gameplay in Sims 4. I find that the traits are either overpowering, or underpowered to the point of being... points, and part of me prefers to just interpret my sims behaviour how I choose, as opposed to being told 'this sim is childish' or 'this sim is jealous'.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I think I'll hang back on this one for a bit and see how others use and engage with it first.
Instructor
#14 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 6:13 PM
There are 99 of them now. That's a lot, imo. As omglo says the traits themselves don't do anything. They are simply inventory objects with pretty icons. Modders will check for a certain inventory object by GUID and then make a mod based on it. So, if what I have that object do and what someone else has that object do are not logically compatible, that would be a bit weird and, what's interesting to me, is that it introduces a new kind of conflict that I'm not sure we've seen before in the community.

I should have specified that my post was about the modded traits, not the "inventory only" ones

This is a bit abstract, I know, but I think it's culturally very interesting. Our Sims 2 culture is quite interesting, anyway, and this is rather like when a large organization suddenly introduces a new set of bylaws. It takes a while to determine how they will be interpreted. But we could now, as a community of players and modders say, hey, let's all take these 99+ words and make them do things. How we interpret the words themselves might be interesting, especially since we are such a diverse community, not only in play style but in culture and language and I can see different "schools of thought" arising, those who think the definitions set by Sims 3 are "correct," for example. Anywho...

We can, of course, already invent new ones, since they are just icons in inventory with GUIDs, in fact MidgetheTree already has three new ones. I would guess that Hexagonal-bipyramid will incorporate those and other popular new ones into the Randomizer over time, so they all work the same way. If not, the new ones will just be independent mods based on inventory objects using the same style icon that Hex used for the 3t2s, which is fine, but if there are too many traits, I would think they would become less useful to players. I suspect the community will, over time, pare down the number of popular ones. I'm already planning to just use ones that interest me, to build my own set, as Omglo said. I also totally agree that they are an extra dimension as mixa97sr and FranH mentioned. I'm, personally, happy to have an extra layer, because I have felt the personalities, as is, getting a bit repetitive over time, and I'm especially happy to think people will make more autonomous actions based on the traits. A great many mods up to this point have focused on stopping autonomous action, but this seems to open the door for a wave in the other direction. For example, I have wanted for a long time for the Parenting Skill to actually have an affect on Sim parent behavior, but it doesn't. These types of mod may bring more of that kind of thing. I look forward to trying this method to make some mods myself. And the icons are pretty.

I completely agree on these two points - but what I like most about the community is that not only is still quite alive, but we also have new wonderful additions and modders everyday! Think about how many great things we got in the last years and how many were thought to be unmoddable at first: skylines, lighting mods, water replacement, custom potions, custom supernaturals...

Still not sure if I should use Hot-Headed for Jealous, though, or Absent-Minded for Gullible or Silly or whatever polite word I can use for Not Smart. What do you guys think?
Imho, "Hot-headed" could be a Sim that loses it quite easily, not necessarily jealous too... I mean, I get they're the same thing in the game code, but it would be nice to get a distinction! An "hot-headed" sims gets furious immediately after a negative interaction but he loses it quickly, for example) while a jealous sim might get a drop of the relationship with their partner when he sees him/her hugging other not-related Sims.
"Silly" could just gain skills way slower then others or being unable to learn some more... I mean, we have quite a few options but it all depends on what is doable and on the modder preference
Instructor
#15 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 7:26 PM
This is really interesting. I love the concept. Ah, if only TS2 and TS3 had a true combination instead of the ever-empty TS4...!

As someone who adores TS3 and has tried to give TS4 a fair shake, I can tell you that some of the traits tend to overlap and some are just too vague to be practical for TS2. That said, I do have some ideas...ideas that involve adding new Wants and Fears as well as adding new dialogue options...

The one thing to keep in mind about traits is that since TS2 has a well-defined personality point system, is that these traits will only be a minor addition to the Sims that use them -- (meaning that Aspirations, Lifetime Wants, and Personality Points still take prerogative over Traits).

Here we go:

Brave Trait:
Ideal Wants: Extinguish Fire, Fight Burglar, Save Sim from Death, Join the Military career, Join the Law Enforcement career, etc...

Ideal Fears: Lose Sim to Grim Reaper, Burglar Escapes (from low Body skill, perhaps), etc...

Behavior: These sims never shy away from extinguishing fires and have the ability to fight burglars to recoup their losses and send the burglar off their lot.

Hot-Headed Trait:
Idea Wants: Yell at Sim, Argue with Sim, Experience a Thunderstorm, Rant to Self, Insult Sim, Fight Sim, See Ghost of (Disliked Sim), etc...

Ideal Fears: Sunny Weather, Be Caught in a Thunderstorm, Be Told to Calm Down, Get Fired, Pay Bills, Encounter an Enemy (provokes further angry Wants), etc...

Behavior: These sims get angry very easily. Their rage can sometimes seems sporadic because they can be set off by many things. From the mundane: A sudden change in the weather, receiving bills, meeting a new sim, etc... To the deliberate: Being attacked by another sim, being insulted, being argued with, etc...
These Hot-Headed sims are trapped in a vicious cycle of rage. They can have quieter moments, but you should never take such moments for granted. Sometimes their Wants can conflict with their fears (see the thunderstorm example), not unlike sims in the Family Aspiration sometimes having a Want to Have a Baby and a Fear to Have a Baby at the same time.

I have to log-off now. I've been typing this on a notepad document for a while, so if I accidently rehashed an idea that someone recently typed, I do apologize. Great minds think alike, yes?

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Scholar
#16 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 2:06 PM
Well that was what I was writting above about mechanics (fears/wants are one of the most crucial for the game), I also somewhat intentionally omitted part of the traits' groups ("cheaty ones" like inheritance or fireproof homestead) and very specific for the Sims 3 mechanics which would be hard or not really beneficial in the Sims 2 framework.

I'd not try to determine in what particular manner 'traits' as additional game layer should/may be implemented, for the beginning: are they should be inventory items or rather additional data stored on individual sims? There's obvious problem with Sims 2 interface, which may will exclude some possible solutions because they shall show as simply not practical or not comfortable in the game. And there's also obvious necessary interpretation of almost each "social" trait. For example I'd see "jealous" sim as rather "compulsive/obsessive/possesive" one than just jealous (jealousy is already in game anyway), etc. And there're some blurry territories like "attractive" or "eye candy".

As the whole, what I meant on enhancing the gameplay (which I was hoping so silly it shall come in Sims 4) it would be an additional layer on the base point system, sometimes contratictory, sometimes not.

I think it's still not enough complicated, yet

EDIT:
for example how we could implement the "kleptomaniac?"? Is the sim just able to steal something from neighbour? But we cannot normally visit other residential lots in the game (with exception of apartaments), or from community lot? Or maybe it should be simple chance card while the sim is at work and said one will come back with some random small liberated item? And what about other's sims commercial lots ("shops"), shall this klepto-sim have an ability to "buy for free" something? And how we deal with failures (sims beign caught while stealing) and so on...

Ok, now it's complicated better

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Well that was what I was writting above about mechanics (fears/wants are one of the most crucial for the game), I also somewhat intentionally omitted part of the traits' groups ("cheaty ones" like inheritance or fireproof homestead) and very specific for the Sims 3 mechanics which would be hard or not really beneficial in the Sims 2 framework.

I'd not try to determine in what particular manner 'traits' as additional game layer should/may be implemented, for the beginning: are they should be inventory items or rather additional data stored on individual sims? There's obvious problem with Sims 2 interface, which may will exclude some possible solutions because they shall show as simply not practical or not comfortable in the game. And there's also obvious necessary interpretation of almost each "social" trait. For example I'd see "jealous" sim as rather "compulsive/obsessive/possesive" one than just jealous (jealousy is already in game anyway), etc. And there're some blurry territories like "attractive" or "eye candy".

As the whole, what I meant on enhancing the gameplay (which I was hoping so silly it shall come in Sims 4) it would be an additional layer on the base point system, sometimes contratictory, sometimes not.

I think it's still not enough complicated, yet

EDIT:
for example how we could implement the "kleptomaniac?"? Is the sim just able to steal something from neighbour? But we cannot normally visit other residential lots in the game (with exception of apartaments), or from community lot? Or maybe it should be simple chance card while the sim is at work and said one will come back with some random small liberated item? And what about other's sims commercial lots ("shops"), shall this klepto-sim have an ability to "buy for free" something? And how we deal with failures (sims beign caught while stealing) and so on...

Ok, now it's complicated better

If there is no way of implementing a trait then leave it to one side, but I think you will be surprised by the imagination that people will bring to them, whether a trait has a mod made for it or not. I can also see people taking the mod and re-modding it to suit themselves.

"inheritance or fireproof homestead" I can immediately think of a hood where only those with this have a fire alarm, the rest have to battle fires themselves. All you need is to not let the Sims 3 get in your way. I am going to take a punt and say you play sims 3? See I don't, so I don't have any preconceived ideas of these traits holding me down. People will find all kinds of ways to implement them.

kleptomaniac -easy! use the new pickpocket mod, but even before that came out I had a criminal who dipped into other sims inventories. I simply rolled a dice to see if he was caught or not.

"we cannot normally visit other residential lots in the game" Yes you can, there's a mod for that. Just about everything, 90% of things in sims 2 has a mod.

The limitation here is your own imagination.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If there is no way of implementing a trait then leave it to one side, but I think you will be surprised by the imagination that people will bring to them, whether a trait has a mod made for it or not. I can also see people taking the mod and re-modding it to suit themselves.

All you need is to not let the Sims 3 get in your way. ...I don't have any preconceived ideas of these traits holding me down. People will find all kinds of ways to implement them.

kleptomaniac -easy! use the new pickpocket mod, but even before that came out I had a criminal who dipped into other sims inventories. I simply rolled a dice to see if he was caught or not.

"we cannot normally visit other residential lots in the game" Yes you can, there's a mod for that. Just about everything, 90% of things in sims 2 has a mod.

The limitation here is your own imagination.

Funny, because with the buy/build enable mod, my sims steal all the time, and just this morning using that mod, my witch sim used MidgeTheTree's new mod to walk to the Secret Magic Lot and steal the Head Witch's modded broom so he could fly off with it. It's all about the mods! And, yes, I change them all the time. I often have to stop myself modding a mod I just downloaded based only the description, thinking, "Geez... at least look at in the game before you start tweaking it!" I've never even see Sims 3, I plan to run hog wild! :D

ElaineNualla, I like complicated, though, great ideas.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 10:56 PM
That's how my criminal sim family take items, with a build and buy enabler and a make selectable on comm lot mod. While they occasionally steal stuff from a lot I prefer to have them steal from sims back pockets. I mean those things can hold a grand piano, you never know what you might find. My teenage sneak thief got scored himself a mobile phone last time he went out. So for me the new mod simply adds in cash. I have rules though for pickpockets, they can only steal 1 tile items and there is always a chance of them getting caught and going to the lockup.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 11:03 PM
That's how my criminal sim family take items, with a build and buy enabler and a make selectable on comm lot mod. While they occasionally steal stuff from a lot I prefer to have them steal from sims back pockets. I mean those things can hold a grand piano, you never know what you might find. My teenage sneak thief got scored himself a mobile phone last time he went out. So for me the new mod simply adds in cash. I have rules though for pickpockets, they can only steal 1 tile items and there is always a chance of them getting caught and going to the lockup.

I actually don't know how to steal from another sim. How do I do that? With the pickpocket mod or we could do that before? Or do you mean you have to take it out of their inventory with the selector? Oh, and, yes, the make selectable mod, essential.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 11:36 PM
Simply make the other sim selectable. I use a pescado mod I think. It's on the sim pie menu anyway 'make selectable' Once selectable I simply look through their inventory and remove an item that I think my criminal would like. I only let him steal if nobody is looking and after grabbing something I roll a dice, odd he's caught, even he gets away with it. Pretty sure you need the buy and build enabler too access their inventory too, but you already have that.

The pickpocket mod is for cash, not items. I use both now.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 11:58 PM
Simply make the other sim selectable. I use a pescado mod I think. It's on the sim pie menu anyway 'make selectable' Once selectable I simply look through their inventory and remove an item that I think my criminal would like. I only let him steal if nobody is looking and after grabbing something I roll a dice, odd he's caught, even he gets away with it. Pretty sure you need the buy and build enabler too access their inventory too, but you already have that.

The pickpocket mod is for cash, not items. I use both now.

Ok, got it. I wasn't sure if you were just looking in their inventory and taking it out for the sim to pick up, or if I was missing a way to have the thief take it directly from the inventory into his. I'm sure we could make that mod, too. I think it'd be fun to have him grab something without me knowing what it was - if he was a kleptomaniac, because they steal odd things that don't make sense. I can see using a modded form of gifting to do it.
Scholar
#23 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 11:59 PM
pickpocket mod... now we made me run into the download frenzy again...

Yes, I play both games for its own merits (morrowinding the world(s) in sims 3 is kinda fun, on the other hand trying to manage the few families even with Nraas Mods' suite is a kind of complicated nightmare, though doable for some extend - an easy and obvious task if not "natural gameplay" in the S2).

In case of klepto - that trait is in S3 partly wrongly interpreted - it should be completely autonomous activity (it's not "stealing", it's compulsive stealing). And liberating a piano or car is completely within Sims range of common silliness, why not?

...now i'm going to download something...*

*"compulsive downloader"?

Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 12:04 AM
That's it! Make kleptomaniac completely autonomous and steal from everyone, and everything in sight. Cars, food, anything that fits, goes.

This could really make the Charlatan blush with envy!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 10:52 PM
My thief is a thief, but a sim could steal because of being a klepto. in that case, I would make them steal more random funny stuff. Sims can have a bunch of funny crap in inventory for sure. They could steal cold pills, birthday cards, whatever you have for sale in your hood.
My criminal is more inclined to steal small electronics or small expensive items so he can sell them (to the air right now, but I have made a request to Midge if they can actually sell them directly to other sims via the sale>sell pet action.) @Sunrader This might interest you and it's on Midges inbox area now as I finally signed up to Tumblr. I made two posts and while they are together they show up out of order for some reason.

PS. I HATE Tumblr, hated it as soon as I saw my page. If anyone knows how to stop some random Giff blinking at me please let me know!

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 3