Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2017 at 9:22 PM
Default CC Help Please :)
I have created this kippah (image attached) I added the kippah mesh to the hair mesh in blender and textured it, all seems fine in S4S but when I go into my game the kippah is not attached to the hair and moved independantly from the sims' head. Can any body tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 30th May 2017 at 9:56 PM
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 31st May 2017 at 12:47 AM
Without seeing the package this is just a guess, but it looks like an incorrect bone assignment. It should be assigned to the b__head__ bone.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2017 at 11:52 AM Last edited by natalienm : 31st May 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Without seeing the package this is just a guess, but it looks like an incorrect bone assignment. It should be assigned to the b__head__ bone.

Thanks for replying, I didn't change any of the bone assignments, I simply joined the hair mesh and kippah mesh together. Joining them didn't break the bone assignment for the hair, so wouldn't the kippah theoretically have the same bone assignment now as the hair because it's all one mesh?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 31st May 2017 at 4:46 PM
No, bone assignments are per vertex - each vertex may be assigned to multiple bones and meshes can (and usually do) have multiple bone assignments in different parts of the mesh. This is how a mesh is animated realistically, for example long hair moving with the head at the top and with the shoulders at the bottom. Just putting two meshes together doesn't change the bones in either part.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#6 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 5:44 AM
It could be parenting issues as well. When an item is parented, this means the fingers are connected to the hand which is connected to the wrist which is connected to the lower arm and so on. I work primarily in Poser, Daz and Maya. I don't know if I can do mods in these programmes or not but essentially most 3d modelling programmes work the same. I haven't tried since everyone uses Blender. You should have the option in your 3d modelling programme to parent items and parent parts of the item. The tips of the hair are parented to to different parts of your Sim. for example if you have hair to the knees. the tips are parented to the knees then the thighs then the hips/butt then to the waist then to the mid back then to the upper back then to the shoulders then to the neck then to the top of the head in the front to the chest so you don't get weird hair growing from the bottom of the chest because you . The more you parent the smoother and more connected your rigging and boning becomes. The more fluent things are. You can never over parent, over rig or over bone a model or items connected to that model.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 12:13 PM
If I understand what you're saying correctly, parenting should not be an issue since the Sims skeletons are built in with their hierarchy already constructed, and it's just a matter of correctly assigning parts of the mesh to the existing bones.

Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:06 PM
Thanks, Cmar, for that info I'm use to modeling from scratch in Maya where everything has to be checked when a model isn't doing what I want it to do. I'll parent hair to head when working in Maya. Thought it might be like that. I use Daz or Poser when I'm feeling lazy or need a project done quickly. From what you're saying it's like working in Daz or Poser. Where you have Victoria or Micheal and you are creating something for one of them.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 4:22 PM
I don't know if this issue is still unfixed, but I would suggest to transfer weights from another hat, so that the vertexes are assigned to the correct bones/weights (as cmar said), and also make sure you've vertex painted the hat. You can find tutorials for both of these things on youtube or the s4studio website.
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by natalienm
I have created this kippah (image attached) I added the kippah mesh to the hair mesh in blender and textured it, all seems fine in S4S but when I go into my game the kippah is not attached to the hair and moved independantly from the sims' head. Can any body tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks

@natalienm Have you had any luck in creating this? I would love to download if you have. I've been looking everywhere for a Sims 4 kippah.