Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 4:02 AM Last edited by Averex : 24th Jan 2017 at 4:28 AM.
Default The Sims 5 and VR?
So I got curious and started looking to see if there were any speculations about the Sims 5 yet. According to a few websites, it's rumored to utilize Virual Reality.

I'm kind of taking what the articles say with a grain of salt, since many of them (including the one in the link) include fallacies such as the game having a 2017 release date and The Sims 1 being released in 2002

Regardless, I'm hoping that the VR speculation isn't anything more than a rumor. I personally don't like the idea of it, and lord knows how expensive the game would be if it turned out to be in VR. If they do decide to go that route, I'd at least want them to still have a third-person option instead of making the game solely VR.

What do you guys think?

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 4:11 AM
I play Sims VR everyday. Except it aint virtual and there's no cheat code. It's called life.

So yeah, why would I wanna experience that all over again in first person when I got home?
Theorist
#3 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 4:19 AM
Blergh, so we go from chaining us to one family in Sims 3 to chaining us to one single Sim in Sims 5?

No thank you!

EA, listen up: NOT everyone uses their sims as wish-fulfillment avatars, so stop doing stuff like that!

But seriously that can't be more than a rumour (hopefully, please!) I mean how is VR first person build mode supposed to work?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 5:39 AM
I probably wouldn't be able to play a VR version. I'm too prone to ocular migraines. Just thinking about it makes my eyes hurt.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#5 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:29 AM
Would be interesting, but I don't know if the franchise would make that big of a move as a main entry. I've never really wanted to experience a Sims game through the eyes of a sim, which is how I would assume VR would work in a Sims game, but it would be an really creative concept.
Scholar
#6 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
Just thinking about it makes my eyes hurt.

Me too, I really hope not.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:10 PM
I wouldn't like that at all. And that would most likely only work if the whole VR aspect was an optional thing because VR headsets are definitely not the norm and many people even get sick from it. So basing it completely on VR would be so stupid.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:35 PM
Maybe VR is only a choice of the user, like Aging on/off.

Che il sultano mantenga le tradizioni nella propria terra, ma non tenti di imporle ad altri regnanti.
That the sultan may keep his tradition in his own land, but not attempt to force them on other rulers.
(Vlad Țepeș)
Theorist
#9 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:13 PM
Or, maybe like the OP said, it was just a speculative rumour a website already making up their own info from no data came up with given the rise in the popularity of VR tech. Perhaps we should all calm down before we incite mass hysteria over one website's made up info, and stop assuming it's already fact.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:27 PM
Comeon! What we all want is the Sims 6!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 8:13 PM
I hope if it's in there, we can choose to play normally. I hate VR. I don't even understand how to use it..
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 8:25 PM
VR is ok for VR specific games, like recent VR edition of Super Hot. But a sandbox-simulation game... I don't see how practical would that be.

And also... do not believe short articles that came from unreliable online source. Those tend to be just wishful thinking or just a click bait made as a mixture of recent trendy themes, even if it does not make any sense.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
do not believe short articles that came from unreliable online source. Those tend to be just wishful thinking or just a click bait made as a mixture of recent trendy themes, even if it does not make any sense.

Yeah. Like I said, I'm taking the info with a grain of salt. The sites talking about it don't seem like reliable sources.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#14 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 1:25 AM
I guess I'd rather start a virtual fire and burn a virtual grilled cheese and then a real one.
Instructor
#15 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
given the rise in the popularity of VR tech.

VR is a meme, it started with Avatar and with Occulus Rift it gain traction in gaming ... until people realized we are not Star Trek:The Next Generation and it wasnt Holodeck and you had to wear a helmet, oh dear.
Its also not a new meme, VR dates back to the 60's, all attempts (including the latest one) ended up failing because you have to wear headgear, it just comes and goes like the Halleys Comet.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee

I see VR as nothing more than fad like Myspace was and leg warmers were. Something that in theory seems cool, but in reality quite impractical.

Pfffff...I love leg warmers.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
#17 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 11:15 PM
Why does everyone that thinks about VR have the short-sightedness to only think in terms of first-person? Has anyone here actually played VR or are they just speculating? VR is not a fad and won't be going away, in fact, it is becoming mainstream just look at the last updates to Windows 10 -> Mixed Reality. It is here and the potential is so mind-boggling. We have just barely scratched the surface on capabilities.

Not everything has to be first-person immersion. A great example would be "Final Approach" where you interact in a god mode with the environment. It felt like playing with matchbox airplanes. Another would be "Lucky's Tale" where you oversee the action from above. There are a lot of great games that you are looking down on a 3D world able to watch the action. Not unlike how you play The Sims today.

If done right VR could make The Sims awesome. Being able to swap between spectator/build mode and first person mode would be great. The Sims would be awesome in that respect. Being able to walk around your creations, playing with it like the giant virtual dollhouse it actually is while still being able to shrink down to size and see it from the "doll's" perspective.

As far as control the Occulus Touch and the Vive Wands are more than adequate to allow for point and click as you do now.

VR is the future and boy does it look amazing and will only get better.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:06 AM
I'm unsure how I feel about VR, but wouldn't it be cool if it were 3D, as in a hologram, like the 3D chess set in Star Wars, a New Hope?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
So yeah, why would I wanna experience that all over again in first person when I got home?

I see you're not a German.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:46 AM
I don't see the "VR" thing and EA's tendency for "make it run on a toaster" cohabiting well together, but what do I know? They're a weird lot over there, who make strange decisions.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:59 AM
Maybe they should fucking stop trying fucking making it fucking run on a fucking toaster.
Sorry for having strong feelings about this, but toasters are bullshit and if you have one you deserve to get your hair stuck in it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#22 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Maybe they should fucking stop trying fucking making it fucking run on a fucking toaster.
Sorry for having strong feelings about this, but toasters are bullshit and if you have one you deserve to get your hair stuck in it.

Harsh, but I agree with the sentiment. If you don't have a computer capable of playing video games, don't expect to be able to play video games and stop forcing the rest of us to suffer for your cheap, lazy, entitled arrogance.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 10:16 AM
Hmmm... was that sarcasm Shigemi? The Sims is beloved by most people all over the world, expecting the whole world to have same quality technology, and same economical status in order to be able to afford newest GPUs and play the game on ultra high settings, just so you can enjoy your graphical orgasms is a bit far fetched...

I don't really find it offensive, but sims does not have to be a whole lot graphically upgraded and realistic af. But I agree that TS4 looks horrible with it's low resolution textures and blocky, low poly stuff. Even though I like lowpoly, minimalistic games, Sims 4 team really made it look like a fudge.

Also, sorry for getting worked up. This does not mean I defend EAs choices with grahical design in any way.
Theorist
#24 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 10:43 AM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 21st Sep 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Hmmm... was that sarcasm Shigemi? The Sims is beloved by most people all over the world, expecting the whole world to have same quality technology, and same economical status in order to be able to afford newest GPUs and play the game on ultra high settings, just so you can enjoy your graphical orgasms is a bit far fetched...

Don't talk to me about economical status. I am unemployed on welfare with a disability, I still shell out to get a PC that can actually run games. I don't consider it an excuse. Don't expect to play a $430 game if you can't afford at least a $430 computer. :\.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 11:40 AM
Hell, if good computers cost $430 I'd be getting myself a new one every other month.
I don't really find it offensive, but sims does not have to be a whole lot graphically upgraded and realistic af. But I agree that TS4 looks horrible with it's low resolution textures and blocky, low poly stuff. Even though I like lowpoly, minimalistic games, Sims 4 team really made it look like a fudge.

Well that's the same crowd who expects to be able to fly around the world for a tenner, so don't act all offended if airlines then try to squeeze you into an impossibly cramped death trap and serve you shit food.
Only difference is, I don't suffer directly from that. I'll gladly pay yesterday's prices for yesterday's luxuries.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 4