Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:40 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 2nd Jul 2018 at 8:17 PM.
Default Lots, locations, sets, Sims and stuff for the world of BRIDGEPORT'88
Hey guys,

I often find myself wanting some input on new Sims or lots I've created for my video series thing(â„¢). While I can't exactly judge how much work is going to go into each episode, it's likely that I'll need two lot builds, one big and one small, or one big one and multiple small ones, and at least 10 Sims. On top of that, I'll also need to create the odd asset or piece of clothing. I'd really like some external input in that process, lest the whole thing becomes too repetitive and too "Pi". You guys seem like a pretty crafty bunch so I suspect this could be a lot of fun.

What I'm going to do, next time I have my doubts about something, is consult with you guys. And I suspect I will, soon, because I have two very sizeable lots that need work, and I'm strapped for ideas.
Mild spoilers ahead!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 7:56 PM
Default New locations for episode 2
Office building location

ca. 40% complete
A complete rebuild of the cramped office set I used in episode 1. 50s-era office tower with a plaza, a lobby and two fully decorated floors in the supposed upper half of the building. Images:

Central library location

ca. 10% complete
Enormous Art Deco building from the late 20s/early 30s. Very cavernous but currently nothing more than a poorly thought out facade.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 8:05 PM
Default Existing locations, either seen or unseen
Mall location

ca. 60% complete
First floor is largely done, but needs a redesign. Second floor is mostly unbuilt and undecorated. It's also possible that I'll want to build another large corridor within the building, but probably not for this episode.

School location

ca. 70% complete
Built for, but not used in the first episode. Isabella's workplace. A lack of appropriate furnishings and ideas for what to do with this location made it impossible to use.

Subway station
ca. 60% complete
Kind of an afterthought, but one that will probably make another appearance eventually. I want to finish it just in case.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 3:59 AM
Looks good! I need that Camaro. Fresh Prince probably?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 12:11 PM
TheSims3Cars actually.
https://thesimscars.wixsite.com/mod...dsTS3/Chevrolet

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:37 PM
Default Library interior status 9/7/18
Finally, I've managed to piece together a rough layout for the library location.
The main entrance leads directly to an asymmetric and spacious lobby. A high ceiling makes this room feel more spacious.

The main question here is what to do with the plethora of free space. How do I use this room, what goes in it?

Main library hall; intended to look as big as possible within the finite space available. This is the space central to this grand library and it must look as imposing as possible. Currently I'm not getting that impression, and the lack of Art Deco features make it look mismatched and unambitious. What can I do to alleviate this?

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 1:41 PM
Okay so I keep getting stuck on the library. I have no idea how to approach it, and since I've never been to a library I'm not really sure if I know what one is supposed to look like either. Aside from that, matching the Art Deco style of the interior seems needlessly difficult without proper references.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jul 2019 at 5:23 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 27th Jul 2019 at 6:07 PM.
Good god I haven't kept this thread up to date at all. Remind me to get my shit together.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2019 at 10:11 AM
Also recently remodeled: the subway set with full train and station, which I briefly showed in episode 1 in a sparsely decorated state. Creating a subway car in the same poor state as they were often in during the 80s isn't realistically possible in TS3, but CC wall decals and broken lights have helped a bit. I have 3 cars on the lot so I can actually use a different one with different details next time. I don't have the right signage for any of it, but that's a task for when I'll need these sets next.

Also useful, this medium-sized open air stage I can reconfigure for various low-effort backdrops. I built it with this setup in mind, with the subway entrance serving as the above-ground half of the subway station set. Having one lot to build these smaller set pieces on is actually a lot more efficient than starting over everytime I need something.

insert signature here
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2019 at 4:47 PM
I think this looks like a nice stage for your storytelling.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Nov 2019 at 7:59 PM
Well this is nearly everything I have in terms of sets at the moment, at least ones that are ready for use. So between them I can already do a good bit of storytelling but of course, I get a kick out of irresponsibly ambitious projects so it won't be long before I plonk down the next one.

In terms of "small" builds, locations I've essentially been able to build in one or two days, I built 3 for the first episode and 4 for the second one.
In terms of "project" builds, that I bult slowly over the course of several weeks or months, there were 2 for the first episode, 3 for the second one, and 1 for the third. The 3 ones I built for the second episode are all a lot larger than what I'd built before them. There's definitely a few that are making my game lag a bit but I'll always prioritize appearance over convenience. It's easy to build something that works. But these are meant to be seen, not used.

insert signature here