Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2016 at 11:20 PM
Default Vanderbilt NYC Mansion (WCIP)
Hello everyone! I am working on recreating the Vanderbilt Mansion that once stood in NYC, and is known as the largest ever single-family home in NYC! I figured it would be fun to post in here and post pics and updates as I go.
I have made quite a few recreations of historical houses such as Kykuit, the Rockefeller home (which I built in a legacy challenge), and the Greystone Manor in California, which I still need to furnish some of the rooms in. If you guys are interested in seeing either of those, please let me know and I will upload pics and perhaps download links once they are finished.
For the time being, though, I am starting a long awaited project for me. I have always wanted to try and build the Vanderbilt townhome, and now I am! So I hope you guys enjoy seeing my progress on the build, and I am more than open to constructive criticism and tips!

First Post:
So this first picture is just the first-floor floorplan based on this picture. As you can see, the house is going to be absolutely huge, but I am really excited to build it. I jump around a ton as I build, so some updates might show walls going up, others may show landscaping popping in, and other may show decoration both interior and exterior popping in. So as I go, I will make sure to describe what is new so that you guys can tell what I added. Next update should be coming pretty soon, as I am in a building mood. :D
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:35 AM
Default Update #1
Time for an update! I built the last three "actual" levels as well as the fourth "faux" level which will not be accessible. Then, I painted and decorated the exterior to as close as I could match to the pictures I could find, which were all black and white, so I had to guess on colors. Oddly enough, one side of the building has no windows, so that side is very plain on the build, but it is true to the real building so I kept it the way it was.
Please feel free to let me know what you think! And also feel free to tell me what you might change if you built it!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 8:52 PM
Default Update #2
Another update! I covered the walls, added floors, and did some of the lighting for the first floor. All but the Moorish Smoking Room (through the archway in the picture of the dining room) have been done, as I still need to download some CC wallpaper for that room to look near the original.
I hope you enjoy the screenshots! After this, I might start furnishing the first level, do some landscaping, or tackle some of the second floor. Not sure yet.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 3:23 AM
Default Update #3
In this update, I have furnished all of the first floor and have added in the skylights for the dining room and Moorish smoking room. Hope you like it!
Also, I will most likely be changing some of the paintings out with "paint from reference" paintings later on, as some of them are specifically said to be paintings of certain people or family portraits, so I will probably be creating a family after I am done building and getting some paintings made that resemble the ones in the real house. Lastly, I did not add a photo of the ballroom as, other than some basic things in the orchestra gallery, it is left completely unfurnished, seeing as it would be used for dancing and there would not need to be any furniture.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 12:00 AM
Default Update #4
Hey everyone! In this update, I have finished the second floor with furniture, floors, and wall coverings. Still left is the third floor, the basement (which contains the servant quarters and kitchen), and the landscaping! I hope you all enjoy the screenshots!

On a sidenote: I realized that the guest quarters were all connected and larger because, similar to the owners' rooms, there needs to be a separate room for the two partners of the relationship, as that was socially correct back then. So the "guest quarters" has two bedrooms, a boudoir, and a shared bathroom.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 9:38 PM
Default Update #5 (FINISHED!)
Hello once again! In this update, I have finished the entire house and done the landscaping. Soon, I will also be uploading the download and giving the directions to download it off the gallery.
I hope you all enjoy the screenshots!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 6:03 PM
Great stuff!