Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 9:00 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Will my laptop die if I play The Sims 2 and record series?
Well hey there, I'm pretty sure I asked this already but some years ago so I need new advice... I love making sims videos, even though I rarely have time to do them since I have college stuff to work on. My game has a lot of CC and it has no lagg, it's at the best settings as well. The thing is, I wonder if recording and editing and all that stuff will damage my laptop. I have the sims 2 ultimate collection, my laptop has 8 GB RAM and is an Intel i7 Inspiron 15 5000 series, but it also has an AMD R7 dedicated graphic cards (and I right click on desktop to put "High Performance" in the applications I want to use the dedicated card with, in this case, the Sims). So, I was wondering. Is this too much? 30k files of CC and recording videos using the Sims 2 UC with a laptop will kill my laptop? Thanks in advance for your answers!

What's the point?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 10:24 PM
You don't know until you've tried. A dedicated graphic card and at least 8 GB ram goes a long way, but it also depends on what you choose to record with and in which quality you record in. If you notice your computer or game starts lagging or shows other problems, you should stop what you're doing. If your game runs fine even with the recording tool on, you're most likely going to be fine. Just don't overdo it, and if you get more lagging or other issues after playing for a while, give the computer a rest. Doing a test run most likely isn't going to do anything bad to the computer even if you see it's not going to work. Its when you push the computer to its limit or beyond multiple times that you'll see problems start piling up.

30k of files isn't all that much, as long as most of it isn't high-poly items and items with large textures (this is worse than a high number of low-poly items with smaller textures). It's roughly the amount I use in my test game on my laptop (about 20-22k or around 5-6 GB, sometimes more or less, and that works fine - but I don't have the same graphic card and my laptop is getting old so it's not a direct comparance). Haven't tried recording videos, though.

As always, do a backup before trying something new, and make sure you always have a recent backup at hand in case of emergencies.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 10:28 PM
I have used it on a laptop for video recording, just incase anything does go wrong back up files and a portable hard drive will aid in saving space

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You don't know until you've tried. A dedicated graphic card and at least 8 GB ram goes a long way, but it also depends on what you choose to record with and in which quality you record in. If you notice your computer or game starts lagging or shows other problems, you should stop what you're doing. If your game runs fine even with the recording tool on, you're most likely going to be fine. Just don't overdo it, and if you get more lagging or other issues after playing for a while, give the computer a rest. Doing a test run most likely isn't going to do anything bad to the computer even if you see it's not going to work. Its when you push the computer to its limit or beyond multiple times that you'll see problems start piling up.

30k of files isn't all that much, as long as most of it isn't high-poly items and items with large textures (this is worse than a high number of low-poly items with smaller textures). It's roughly the amount I use in my test game on my laptop (about 20-22k or around 5-6 GB, sometimes more or less, and that works fine - but I don't have the same graphic card and my laptop is getting old so it's not a direct comparance). Haven't tried recording videos, though.

As always, do a backup before trying something new, and make sure you always have a recent backup at hand in case of emergencies.

Thanks for answering! I try to record at high quality, but my screen is 1366x768 so I just choose to record in 1280x720, in HD, which I think is more than enough. It only laggs when I enter a lot because it's loading but after this small lagging then it runs just fine and the camera is smooth. I won't overdo it, mainly because I don't have time and I love my laptop heh. Yeah I don't have many high-poly items except for my hairstyles, and even so, I tend to enter bodyshop and delete those colors I think I won't use. I record with Open Broadcaster Software using the VBR codec and it doesn't lagg (it does with the codec CBR tho), yet and when I record I turn on the air conditioner despite the fact I have a fan under my laptop, just to be sure it doesn't overheat. I'll try doing a backup, tho I don't have the device to do so, I guess I'll consider buying one. Thank you, I feel more relieved!

EDIT: Btw, is my dedicated graphics card okay? I mean, I don't know much about it; when my parents bought my laptop I didn't even know it had a dedicated graphics card (until I right clicked on the desktop). All I know it's AMD R7 and my integrated one is Intel i7 or something like that.

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
I have used it on a laptop for video recording, just incase anything does go wrong back up files and a portable hard drive will aid in saving space

Yeah I'll consider doing that, also with my other files (pictures and music); it would heartbreak me being told my laptop will never function again and I lost everything in it.

What's the point?