Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 12:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Wrong sim bin photos in CAS
This is more of an annoyance than anything else because everything works fine, but I was hoping to find a solution because it makes things very confusing!

Inside the Sim Bin in Create-A-Sim, the photos for many of the sims are wrong. I will provide pictures below so that this is more clear; I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right. For example, when looking at adult female sims, male sims will be shown but once I click on them, the correct sim will be displayed. So there aren't actually dirty orphan toddlers hiding in the adult category, but their photo is misrepresenting the actual adult sim that's there.

So, I have to do A LOT of clicking around to find the sim I'm looking for. Which is super duper... annoying.

I don't THINK it's corruption because this is a new hood I'm creating sims for, but who knows. It could also just be a really simple fix and I'm dumbo.

Also possibly related... when I download default replacement clothes/hair, the old thumbnails always show instead. That at least sorta makes sense, but I just wanted to add that, since it is a similar problem (lots of clicking around).

Thanks guys!

Simming.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 12:24 AM
First try deleting the files in the "The Sims 2 --> Thumbnail" folder (in Documents, not Program Files). This should reset all the thumbs.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 10:55 AM
I have the same problem and deleting the Thumbnail folder doesn't always help. Just CTRL + right-click.on the wrong thumbnail to update it. This works in CAS and in Build/Buy Mode catalog.

Unfortunately, unlike everything else in the game with a thumbnail, updating the sim bin thumbnails this way often does not "stick" (at least in my game). You may find you have do this for bin sims every time you start your game. I don't know why the CAS sim bin would have this problem. Updating the thumbnails works for everything else in CAS (hair, clothes, makeup, etc.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
First try deleting the files in the "The Sims 2 --> Thumbnail" folder (in Documents, not Program Files). This should reset all the thumbs.

That actually worked... for everything! Even my default face replacements! I've used default replacements for years and have always thought it was just the way things worked! My goodness!

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I have the same problem and deleting the Thumbnail folder doesn't always help. Just CTRL + right-click.on the wrong thumbnail to update it. This works in CAS and in Build/Buy Mode catalog.

Unfortunately, unlike everything else in the game with a thumbnail, updating the sim bin thumbnails this way often does not "stick" (at least in my game). You may find you have do this for bin sims every time you start your game. I don't know why the CAS sim bin would have this problem. Updating the thumbnails works for everything else in CAS (hair, clothes, makeup, etc.)

Thank you for that tip! If the other way ever fails me, I know what to try! And maybe I'll just make a habit of deleting the thumbnails before launching my game. I would gladly take those 10 seconds of prep to avoid the misery of clicking through everything. If I added up all the time I've spent clicking through items, trying to find what I wanted, I would probably have 5 years of my life back. LOL

Thanks again, guys. I can always count on this community, yay!

Simming.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 3:41 PM
Delete the files, not the folder. This should reset all the thumbs including maxis ones. If you delete the folder, the game regenerates the folder from the game files, so maxis thumbs usually won't be changed. I think that should work.
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 7:30 PM
Delete the files, not the folder. This should reset all the thumbs including maxis ones. If you delete the folder, the game regenerates the folder from the game files, so maxis thumbs usually won't be changed. I think that should work.

I was wondering why I got thumbnails of Maxis clothing,hair and face replacements instead of the thumbnails of the default replacements. Thank you I'll try that out and then see if it will work. That actually explained a lot.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katvenus
And maybe I'll just make a habit of deleting the thumbnails before launching my game.

You shouldn't have to delete all the thumbnail files every session. It seems to be only the CAS thumbnails that keep needing to be fixed and those are in this file - CASThumbnails.package

Once you fix the others, they should stay that way.

In case anybody's interested, the others are:
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 12:29 PM
CAS thumbnails are the oens that most frequently get scrambled up, but you shouldn't have to delete them very often. Delete them more frequently if you change default replacements often, or if you move CC CAS items in and out of your game, or if the file often goes over 50 000 kb (as a rough guideline). Same with the ObjectThumbnail file - if you move stuff in and out often, or default replacements don't show properly, or the file is very big, you may want to delete it. Same if you experience the pink-flashing issue. Deleting the larger files can help with that problem for a while.

The Thumbnail files help making game and catalog loading faster and more efficient. They don't need to be deleted every play session, and you shouldn't delete them too often. Once in a while is enough, particularly if you notice thumbnail bugs or the files grow very large. 50 000 kb is just a rough guideline, and if you don't experience any thumbnail bugs you don't have to delete them even if they go over that size. No need to fix what ain't broken...

The cache files you've probably also heard you need to delete also help with faster loading and thumbnails, but these can cause more problems if you leave them to grow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 12:40 PM
No need to delete every time, it's an occasional thing, but if just a few defaults are not showing, just CTRl +Right click on them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 4:25 PM
CAS thumbnails are the oens that most frequently get scrambled up, but you shouldn't have to delete them very often. Delete them more frequently if you change default replacements often, or if you move CC CAS items in and out of your game, or if the file often goes over 50 000 kb (as a rough guideline). Same with the ObjectThumbnail file - if you move stuff in and out often, or default replacements don't show properly, or the file is very big, you may want to delete it. Same if you experience the pink-flashing issue. Deleting the larger files can help with that problem for a while.

The Thumbnail files help making game and catalog loading faster and more efficient. They don't need to be deleted every play session, and you shouldn't delete them too often. Once in a while is enough, particularly if you notice thumbnail bugs or the files grow very large. 50 000 kb is just a rough guideline, and if you don't experience any thumbnail bugs you don't have to delete them even if they go over that size. No need to fix what ain't broken...

The cache files you've probably also heard you need to delete also help with faster loading and thumbnails, but these can cause more problems if you leave them to grow.

Yeah, I get bored easily and instead of having a million different CC, I just update my replacements for some new added flavor--hence my constant scrambled thumbnails, I'm sure. I'll be sure to delete those files when I do this, so they can be regenerated or whatever.

I know to delete the cache. I always delete the accessory one too. Not sure if I'm supposed to, but if my game ever fails to launch, deleting those fixes the problem every time.
__

Still surprised I've never heard of the CTRl +Right click trick. Now I'm hoping to have a bugged thumbnail just to test it out!

Thanks for all the replies! I've never gotten so much feedback on here before, cool!

Simming.