Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#3051 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:24 PM
So...@abcbok, I got Civ V and now I understand the tree you use. XD The game is also addicting. lol

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3052 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 8:10 PM
Finished another round! First gen 7 babies were born, both on the same day but different families
And 28 unmarried adult women. I think I'll have to build a retirement home soon when they turn into elders without getting married :D
Lab Assistant
#3053 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 10:12 AM
@iireke7 - Gen7?! Are you serious?! That's crazy! And did I just see something about 240 something sims? You definitely crazy. Somebody give this simmer an award , chop chop! Congratulations. Mega awesome (enviously wondering what Gen7 looks like...)

@oboesapien - I've just read your backstory and now everyone wave bye bye to my simmies who I just tossed out the window - restart baby, here I come again! (she's kidding, she just restarted.....) I'm totally not kidding (she's totally kidding).

Oh yeah btw, HI , me again, back again... nobody here knows me do they? I mean, just call me Newbie #2.

I'm always around, I'm a total lurker - who said they check in here ten times a day? was that you iireke7? High five!

I seriously restarted, and for the first time in my history of playing the sims I had a miscarriage before a single baby was born I don't even know... (it was totally her fault she is a tyrannical god-hand to her sims)

I'm not even gonna say it. Peace out all.

taliah~ (is back, peaches)
Lab Assistant
#3054 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 1:34 PM
@taliahneth - Yup! Right now it's up to 280 sims. But I'm pretty sure that when the Dark Ages hit, the number will go down really fast, because my sims get sick a lot.
How did you get a miscarriage? Do you have a mod or something? That would be interesting to use.

I'm getting a new PC soon, so I 'might' get Sims 4 and I don't know how actively I will be doing the ToT challenge, but I'm not going to uninstall Sims 2. I reallt love this challenge and I'm deteremined to finish it one day :D
Lab Assistant
#3055 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 12:08 AM
@iireke7 - I do! I have ACR & Inteenimater and I've had them so long I don't even remember what it was like to play without them... ? Oh my goodness. Congrats on the new PC. Sims 4 is amazing (yet somehow I still keep coming back to sims2?)

I just finished Round 1 YAY! I have 5 girls and 2 very lucky boys.... It's been a while since I've played a traditional Neanderthal Era (now we know why she changed it up so much) anyhoo~ Tots next round booyeah lets do this~

taliah~
Test Subject
#3056 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 3:30 PM
This challenge looks interesting!
Lab Assistant
#3057 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 2:47 PM
@LuckyFreckle Yees! Start it! Mwuahaha It actually is a lot of fun. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on it though
Feel free to modify the rules how you see fit. I think most of us here have made some changes to suit each person's playing style. There are no points, so nobody can win, so it doesn't really matter if you change a few things here and there
Test Subject
#3058 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iireke7
@LuckyFreckle Yees! Start it! Mwuahaha It actually is a lot of fun. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on it though
Feel free to modify the rules how you see fit. I think most of us here have made some changes to suit each person's playing style. There are no points, so nobody can win, so it doesn't really matter if you change a few things here and there

I am currently doing the decades challenge right now, but I'll be looking into this one next! I love historical type challenges!
Lab Assistant
#3059 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 8:40 PM
I had to take another break, just when I'd recovered my old ToT hood. But well, sometimes real life happens, what can you do...
So I haven't made much progress since I last wrote here. Still Roman, ruled by Gen 2, Gen 3 slowly taking over, Gen 4 watching carefully. I love this challenge and my hood. There is so much going on! (Btw I'm playing with InTeen, ACR and some small adaptions here and there. For example, I have a tax system and women can die at childbirth. Also, since the historical Roman Empire was very much about expansion and globalization, my sims can occasionally marry townies and some teens can go to university, if it fits the story.)

My first Roman Emperor is actually pretty weak as a ruler. He does have money though, which he uses for the town development. Also, the influential Gen 2 sims tend to like him. However, if any of the patricians really wanted to overthrow him, I doubt he could keep his place. Luckily, the patricians seem to be quite happy with their places in life.
But now Gen 3 is preparing to take over. The Emperor's firstborn son has been prepared for leadership his whole life. He is extremely well educated, he has built connections to the important families and now he is about to marry an equally - if not more so - ambitious girl. I'm so looking forward to those two. I wonder if they will take the crown soon, or wait until they actually inherit it.

There has been a scandal in one of the patrician households, when the senator discovered his wife's affair with one of the slaves. The slave has been executed afterwards.

The plebians are struggling to keep their shops and families alive. They seem to be hit the hardest by the tax system. I suppose the next emperor might want to adjust that somehow.

One of my absolute favorite households does not actually fit in any of the categories anymore, though. Right now, it's made of a slave(?) who no one dares to treat like one anymore, so he might as well officially be considered a plebian. Half the town is in love with him, but somehow he managed to avoid any scandals or fights. His one true love and companion is a plebian wizard. A pretty good one, too. So, honestly, with one of them being everyone's darling and with the other one a wizard, who could ever force them into the system? No one really wants to get on their bad side. At this point of time, they are raising two kids, one of them an illegitimate descendant of a patrician family, the other an alien offspring. And that's more or less just the top of the iceberg, of course.
Seriously, so. much. story. I'm having fun. :D

Oh, and btw, it seems my graphic card cant handle the game. Can you believe it? It's 2018! It's just TS2! Goodness...
Lab Assistant
#3060 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:37 PM
Also, I'll be changing the duration of the eras. The generations have increasing age differences within, inter-generational marriages will increase, too. So soon it's going to be a nightmare to keep track of each sim's generation number.

For the Roman age, I want to see at least three different emperors. The next transition can only take place if everyone born in stone age has died. I suppose that will more or less be the same duration as in the official challenge rules, but it makes things easier for me.
Field Researcher
#3061 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 1:35 AM
I love that some of you have reached Gen 7 That's amazing!! I've been a cheater and have been playing a different challenge for a while, I'd love to do both at the same time but the age limits are severely different and I hate switching back and forth! I wonder if there are any good mods to preserve the age settings between saves?

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Test Subject
#3062 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 1:03 AM
Hi everyone! I took a break from my challenge to focus on work and personal life, but I've decided to start play again and I also want to try the challenge in Sims 3 just for fun.

@Frogsnack Since you're the only one I know who has tried this challenge in Sims 3 I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions and tips on how to set up Nraas' Story Progression mod/using the caste system to help maintain other sims while I'm not playing their lot? Also how did you deal with rotations? If anyone else has some ideas, free feel to let me know I'd really appreciate it! I plan on posting more Let's Plays of my current ToT in Sims 2 I just need to fix my recording setup and get a proper microphone. I was so pumped to reach the Roman Era then once I finally got there I stopped playing LOL!
Field Researcher
#3063 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ToriOlivia
Hi everyone! I took a break from my challenge to focus on work and personal life, but I've decided to start play again and I also want to try the challenge in Sims 3 just for fun.

@Frogsnack Since you're the only one I know who has tried this challenge in Sims 3 I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions and tips on how to set up Nraas' Story Progression mod/using the caste system to help maintain other sims while I'm not playing their lot? Also how did you deal with rotations?

Thanks for tagging me so I could pop over here! I may be able to share my story progression settings, as I recall it's an actual saved file and if you move it to your game you should be able to use the 'import' option under Nraas>Story Progression> General. As I recall I have 3-4 versions because I adjusted it slowly over time, but there are well over 100 things I changed so i don't recall them all. Most notably I set the castes up and made the wealthier sims cheat more and not be able to marry certain castes and possibly have arranged marriages, each caste has certain lifetime rewards (slaves all have fertility treatment and emperors are all above reproach etc). Slaves can't own rental property etc. One of the more recent updates I made allowed teen marriage so I had more sims to choose from too. NRAAS has a FAQ on setting up the neighborhood for TS2 style aging (I think it was also a caste thing, where the active family caste ages and the inactive family does not, it was actually kind of simple). Assigning castes was more difficult, I think I manually clicked on each house and assigned it that way, but sims are set to be born into their father's caste and I have to manually remove the household caste from a slave sim as they'll show up as both slave and plebeian, for example. But castes are a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to one day getting to the Viking era and making them all loners, or mean spirited or something :P

Rotations happen every Sunday between 6-9 am, I finish up what that family was doing and move on to the next one. One of the hardest things to keep track of for me is the slaves that are moved to work in their master's lots, sometimes family ties fall off so you want to keep an eye on that. I also eventually used register to remove immigration which helped control new NPCs showing up, now it draws only from town population, and pets is still nuked but I allow some sims to have them and strays aren't allowed because of the lag. Also (and this is a big one) be careful about the world you choose to play in. Starlight Shores and Isla Paradiso for example are known to be glitchy as hell and won't last far into gen 2. I recommend playing an early launch neighborhood like Riverview or Twinbrook or a smaller one like Sunlit tides. and there's an option to nuke Imaginary Friends but I haven't set that yet- they can also glitch a town).

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Test Subject
#3064 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:30 PM
@Frogsnack Thanks so much for replying so quickly! If you don't mind uploading, I love to check out your SP settings in game. So far I've picked my world-Cottonwood Hills which is an empty version of Sunset Valley. I plan on adding community lots appropriate for the different eras as I move through generations. I've created my five families and played almost a sim week with one family as of now. I decided to go with TS2 aging which was easy to set up. My Neanderthals will have a fairly short life span because honestly I'd like to get through the first era as fast as possible, I have it set to 75 sim days. Weekly rotation seemed like the easiest to keep track of so I'll stick to that as well.
I've disabled break ups and marriages, for now I'm just allowing boyfriend/girlfriends and will introduce marriage in the Roman Era. My sims can still cheat though
I've allowed non active sims to get pregnant but I'm not sure if I'll keep it just yet. There's already been 3 births in my non active families and 1 birth in my active household and can you believe they all had BOYS?! LOL! I really like the idea of having specific lifetime rewards for the different castes. The whole Nraas caste system is still a bit confusing to me but I'm trying to figure it out because I know how helpful it will be as time progresses and more sims are added to the mix.
Lab Assistant
#3065 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 8:47 PM
I started this challenge today. Here are all my villiagers.

I post once in a blue moon and then hibernate and draw- sorry about that!
Lab Assistant
#3066 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 7:50 PM
Welcome to the challenge, MasterRed!

Out of curiosity, I count only nine sims on that picture; is it because one is camera-shy, or are you spicing things up by having one less, so the others are forced to compete more at the risk of finding themselves the one left over? And do you plan on playing according to the original rules, or are you modifying things?
Lab Assistant
#3067 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:46 PM
Welcome!

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Lab Assistant
#3068 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eldonyx
Welcome to the challenge, MasterRed!

Out of curiosity, I count only nine sims on that picture; is it because one is camera-shy, or are you spicing things up by having one less, so the others are forced to compete more at the risk of finding themselves the one left over? And do you plan on playing according to the original rules, or are you modifying things?

One of thems just camera shy, she's hiding behind her husband. I've modified to rules so none of them are married and they're non-monogamous and some different furniture (seriously my poor sims would be miserable without a shower.)

I actually first started this challenge on my old computer but it died after one round so I decided to spice things up a bit. No updates yet (haven't been able to play all week)

I post once in a blue moon and then hibernate and draw- sorry about that!
Test Subject
#3069 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 1:47 AM Last edited by Delilah22 : 19th Mar 2018 at 10:24 PM.
I'm popping in again to say I love this challenge! I've just done a bit of a census on my Sims and I would like to share it, because there have been a lot of deaths lol. I'm going to be making family trees for them but I'm only going to add a Sim to the tree once they age to adult. Otherwise the trees will be too big! Plus, I'm considering adult stage as having "made it" and it is an accomplishment. Not many live to be that old. Sad... Anyways

I started with 15 randomized adult Sims, 9 females and 6 males.
Of those 15 adults, only 10 had children that lived to be adults, 6 females and 4 males.
There were 30 Sims born to generation 2, but only 12 of them survived until adulthood, 8 females and 4 males.

My gene pool is looking a little thin but everyone has at least one Sim they can breed with. Gen 3 is starting to be born but the oldest is only a child so I have to keep playing to see if they survive!

I've also been working on a tech tree for the society; and I restarted the tree with Gen 2 when I restarted the neighbourhood because I had made significant changes since Gen 1. And I'm still changing it as I go along. I've completed writing the Neanderthal/Prehistoric part (the 1st Age, I'm calling it) and have done a bit of work on the 2nd Age (Romans). But they are still living in tents and are just about to start building houses so it will be awhile before I get there! Nevertheless, I'm having so much fun with these Sims. I've been slowly playing them for a few years and am now returning after a few month's break, and I'm very excited to get back into it.

I've also enjoyed reading this thread and everyone's stories! I'm currently reading it through again for probably the 4th time

Edit: I made the neighbourhood family tree! You can see it on my Simblr. Click here!
Lab Assistant
#3070 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 12:01 PM
I finally continued this challenge with my first generation and their kids and to immerse myself again, I read this thread. I can’t believe it’s still going!
Lab Assistant
#3071 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:58 PM
A little update on my game:
If you remember, I accidentally deleted my ToTC hood last summer, thus losing about two rounds (seasons) and a half of progress. That put me back at Round 5 1/2, where my Gen02 children were still teens, while I had been at the end of Round 7, where I had several Gen02 adults and even 2 Gen03 due to turn adult in the following round. It was a big setback, but not as big as I feared it would be, because I did have a backup stashed in the depths of an old computer.

It also turned into an interesting opportunity to observe two parallel timelines unfold (the in-game story being that the feys botched a magical ritual meant to transport them into a different world and broke time instead).
Having recently finished playing Round 6 for the second time in a year and having gotten my first Gen02 adults again, I am getting closer to when the timeline split - and yet farther, as things are not unfolding the same way they did before. Sims are dead who would have lived, and others live where they would have died - or not been born at all. And yet others' fates remain completely unchanged... It's all really fascinating to watch.

When I get to the end of Round 7, I will be posting comparison pics between the two timelines, but in the meantime, see the current genealogy trees below, as well as a few notes:

-Akora A and Quevrar P were a couple the first time around too, and believe it or not, they're the only Gen02 couple the two timelines have in common (Leskah K and Auna A were together for a short time in the first timeline too, but Auna died before anything important could happen).

-Funny fact: Valven U, the zombie (my sims won't know a zombie is dangerous until a first attack has happened, and this zombie is rather tame), is in couple with Alya A in this timeline, and if everything goes well, they will have a child next round. The first time around, though? He actually killed her. Didn't even eat her brains or anything - he just hated her enough to attack her the normal way.

-Quilrar P seems to be a brawler, and appears to have something against the U family: first he fought with U heir Urlven twice (and killed him the second time), and then he attacked new heir Valven U twice (causing his zombification the second time - it was a hidden trait of his, so when he died from his injuries, it didn't stick). He was the one to cause Valven's zombification the first time around too, and if I recall correctly, he was also the one to kill him definitively, even though Valven hadn't even tried to eat anyone's brains. The only other person Quilrar ever attacked was Faerffyn F, the first time around (in the new timeline, she drowned in a flood). She wasn't in couple with Valven then (he died much sooner), but still, it's a big coincidence...

-... And then there's the fact that, according to the points system on the excel sheet I keep the character info on, Quilrar got named heir of the P clan despite having two perfectly capable older brothers who even already have a family of their own, or one on the way. Clan leader Phyxrar liked the show of strength, I guess? Although there's also the little fact that, out of all surviving human P children, Quilrar is the only one who isn't Zeszyne's, but Jhuljss'... Phyxrar favoring an occasional lover's child over his legitimate ones looks like he's trying to get a message across to Zeszyne... who probably doesn't like the whole situation very much either way!

-Uhlsven, the U founder, died from his second multiple alien birth during Round 6; his widow Jhuljss promptly seized power. And with the eldest son already dead and the really funky (and increasingly smelly) stuff going on with the second, it seemed reasonable to name the third, Veszven, as heir. That status seems very fragile, however, because 1) his aspiration is Grilled Cheese, which in my game translates to crazy; and 2) his older sister, Ulvirva, considers him an enemy - and she's an evil witch who didn't hesitate to curse Phyxrar the last time she caught him with her mother. Honestly, I will be surprised if he's still heir (or even around) by the end of Round 6...

-Lltkah, the K founder, decided to pass on the torch as clan leader to his eldest son Leskah, who turned adult this round and now has two sons of his own (his daughter having been carried away in a flood and taken in by the feys).

-The Fs got quads they didn't have the first time around. It took me completely by surprise - they'd been relatively unscathed by multiple births so far.

Aand that's it for now, I think. Now I can only hope it won't take me another five months to play Round 7...
Screenshots
Test Subject
#3072 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by YukiShine
So soon it's going to be a nightmare to keep track of each sim's generation number.

Because of this very reason I started to use genealogical softwar, My Family Tree is in my opinion the best for it. Easy to use, it track and count generations for you (you just have to enable the option to show generation numbers) and have a bunch of nice additional options like family time line or relation calculator (handy when looking for someone to marry in the same social class) and it's free.
Test Subject
#3073 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 3:51 PM
@Eldonyx, I love your family trees! They look awesome

I haven't been playing my TOT lately, I've been distracted by my uberhood and the simplicity of modern-day Sims haha
Lab Assistant
#3074 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 6:48 PM
@Delilah22 Thanks!
I didn't specify it above because I've written about it before, but in case you didn't see those posts, I use XMind (the free download is plenty sufficient). Everything you see in those pictures was done directly in that program - the only thing I had to do outside of it is cut the A's tree pic in half because it was too big to be uploaded here.
The best part is that they're very easy to make and update, compared to everything else I've tried, and it's easier to keep everything straight and neat too. There are limitations, of course, but I would like to think my workarounds don't reduce the readability of it too much...

As for keeping track of generation numbers, well... looking at the tree kind of makes it easy, since in my game sims use the generation number following that of their parent of the clan they belong to (the father's usually), but elsewhere in my notes, such as when I save the sims' portraits, I always write their generation number before their name while naming the pic. Their generation number also appears pretty much everywhere they're mentioned in the files I use to keep track of them, so I end up remembering the info pretty fast.

Also, a quick update on my game I'm super happy about: I've started playing Round 7, and Alakagh got a Gold badge in Sewing, meaning he has now discovered the use of clothes (Soon there will be no more fig leaves. Yay!). Now I'm crossing my fingers for him to survive long enough (he's an elder now) to actually make clothes for his family, and teach them how to do it themselves too... Basically, it takes one round to share a discovery with one other sim, so I need him to survive until at least the end of Round 8/beginning of Round 9 if he is to teach anyone anything (and hopefully the chosen student won't die during the round either...)
Instructor
#3075 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:21 PM
Hi. I wonder if I could continue playing this by putting the saved neighborhood files into the game. I installed fewer EPs, because I realized withput them the graphics are lot better. My old games (all neighborhoods) had some bugs, like when sim tried to read a book they resetted themselves. :O

Or should I start a fresh clean save?
Page 123 of 128