Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 4:14 PM
Any news or updates on this? Been loving it so far, definitely look forward to playing in it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 1:49 AM
Would love to see this world finished. Looks great so far.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 11:49 AM
I came across this video which might prove useful as reference material.
It's a demonstration video from 1992 (which is very similar to 1988, generally speaking) and it's this crazy new "HDTV" thing the kids are so wild about these days.
So it's 1992 Tokyo in glorious 1080p60. Which actually gives a better impression of the big city in all it's hustle and bustle than any library of photos ever could.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#54 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 2:00 PM
I've been meaning to build in Bankenshima but still can't get it to work.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#55 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 6:13 PM
Although it's not exactly made for Japan, I suggest that you designate this world as an Asian Vacation World, so that it gives the lighting and ensures that only Asian-esque names are assigned. When you assign a Vaction designation, all spawned Sims use a special template for that world to ensure immersion. In other words, your maids in Shang Simla will actually look Asian every time, or all French maids in France would be white. This is critical for a World set in an exotic location.

Also, there's actually a Japanese Trait on here that allows Sims to sit on their knees, bow, and use other special traits. By designating this World as an Asian Vacation World, you will also assign the Asian Culture Hidden Trait to everyone automatically, allowing them to eat with chopsticks and sing Oriental tunes.

-------

Jesus loves you and died for you!

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Mad Poster
#56 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 10:44 PM
So is there still life in this? I'm inclined to say not but would like to be proven wrong.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
So is there still life in this? I'm inclined to say not but would like to be proven wrong.

Sorry for the lack of update posts in the last months. I've paused the work in BS during this time to work on Cosmópolis and a new project I had the idea early this year.
Now most of my focus on Bankenshima are in the slums and the suburbs (aka the places with a sh#t ton of small buildings, making them as dense as Downtown). I'm also experimenting some techniques for building traditional and Meiji-era structures (mostly stores with an apartment upstairs), and I can say the Meiji ones are pretty fun to build, as I can experimentate with shapes, color schemes and textures. But my favorite building so far is the National Museum.
New pictures coming next month, I hope. And thanks for the comment!
Mad Poster
#58 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 1:03 AM
Well as you've probably noticed you're not the only one who's been building a 1980s-themed urban world so I love seeing what you're building and should I ever be able to get Bankenshima running I'll definitely be pitching in a few lots myself. I'm pretty well versed in postmodernism by now.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#59 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 1:08 AM
This is exciting, and I'd love to help.

I would reccomend, BTW, setting it so that everyone spawns with the Asian Culture Trait and, possibly, the famous Japanese Culture Trait Mod that someone on here made some time ago. Similar to how the "MAKESIM" command creates a Chinaman in Shang Simla as opposed to a generic Townie like in a normal World, do you think it's possible to mark a World as a custom destination, in order to have a template all Sims are based off of? If not, is it possible to mark a custom World as Chinese, so that it uses Shang Simla templates when generating Sims?

I don't want to see a black Maid or a white Mixologist working in my Japanese town.

-------

Jesus loves you and died for you!

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Test Subject
#60 Old 27th May 2018 at 8:34 PM
I'm interested in this and wouldn't mind helping if need be as far as builders go
Test Subject
#61 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 6:24 PM
Hello!, there will be more updates of this world??, I liked it a lot and I would like to see it <3
Mad Poster
#62 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 9:11 PM
He's dead, Jim.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#63 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 8:26 PM
Alright, I finally got this world to work. Turns out I was literally missing the most important file. And I thought I'd been thorough.....

Anyway, I've been scouting the world a bit looking for potential filming locations, should I ever wish to take Bridgeport'88 to the land of the rising sun. There are parts of this world that are absolutely beautiful, let me say that up front. I'd barely even flown over half the world in Map Mode and it was immediately obvious that this is a pretty world. This isn't a world you can freely roam around in because it's too unfinished for that, but I record my episodes in very particular locations under very controlled circumstances so I can play like it, too, with minor effort.

Setting a world in anytime but the present requires an illusion that may not be shattered at any time. The first sight of a modern taxicab, a Sim carrying a laptop, a smartphone or just about anything else and boom, the illusion is gone. Now Bankenshima is very much WIP and I get that, but the amount of decorative cars parked around the world is highly distracting. I can remove them, but in most cases I can't place anything back. I will need lots to place vehicles of my own on, and much of the world is unrouteable.
Still, my first impression is that it's a good world that's more than worth my time, it's everything I expected it to be, but it will likely take Buroughsburgh levels of dedication to make it look and feel like Bankenshima 1988 rather than Bankenshima "80s-themed party anno 2017". In time I will be creating more assets of my own for Bridgeport'88, including clothes, furniture and vehicles. I'll gladly share them with you @MW_thesism3 where I'm allowed to. All I can send you now are some basic mesh edits of EA outfits and a computer model I converted from TS2.

So like I said, great job so far and I hope you get back to it eventually. I started my whole Bridgeport'88 world largely because of this one and it's worked out fine for me so far.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 4:52 PM
Is this anywhere near playable? It's exactly what I'd need for my legacy.
Page 3 of 3