Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2019 at 7:40 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Mod conflict questions
Hi! I'm getting back into playing Sims 2 and I've looked at/downloaded all the essential mods to prevent corruption and all that bad stuff and some fun ones (like inTeen). After all of that, I checked for conflicts and found some with alfixes from MATY and inTeen. I really want to keep inTeen, but I don't want any problems that could mess my game up so.. I read some things about not needing alfixes and finding alternatives to fix the issues.. but also I read it doesn't matter if there's a conflict as long as I change the load order. SOO.. What do I do? Do I need alfixes?

also might be a silly question - Is the Ultimate collection through Origin already patched? I "updated the game" and assumed that's the same as patching.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 7th May 2019 at 9:03 PM
if there was an alternative to aifixes, I take the essential mods thread would have mentioned it; if anyone posted the alternative.

the Hack Conflict Detection Utility program actually shows potential conflicts. with some combinations in that program, each mod/hack could work while the others are installed. only gameplay could tell if the mods/hacks conflict with each other.

edit::
the Ultimate Collection I take comes already patched.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2019 at 9:59 PM
You might check out what I posted here on teen woohoo mods.

Teen Woohoo mods for Sims 2: http://modthesims.info/journal.php?...SC&page=2&pp=10

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th May 2019 at 1:15 AM
Gummilutt actually went into considerable depth, before she went missing, on why alfixes isn't necessary any more, since all of its important functions have been duplicated by other mods which don't have undesirable side effects like killing love letters. If I didn't have an ear infection I might dig up the threads she talked about it in (but I might not, also), but as of now you're on your own. I haven't had it for awhile.

The thing about InTeen is that it's so huge it conflicts with damn near everything; and it's important to remember that the HCDU flags certain kinds of potential conflicts. Not all of these conflicts become problems in all systems, and not all problem conflicts are flagged. The system is too complex for any program to do that, even if we had the source code, which we don't. Many people still use it nearly problem-free. So all you can do is educate yourself and make the best choices you can based on the information available, then adjust those choices as experience indicates.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th May 2019 at 1:27 AM
You do not need alfixes. There are very few of the stated fixes which are actually fixes. For example, alfixes says it allows teens to work on the restorable car, but when I removed alfixes some years ago nothing changed, teens could still work on the car. The official AL patch fixed most of the issues and the few that remain can be fixed with other mods, plus alfixes breaks date cards and maybe also primp. I noticed sims started doing that again too once I removed it.

Yes, the UC comes patched, you do not need to patch it.

InTeen clashes with a ton of other mods, you will need to decide what you want more.

I think alfixes should be taken off the essential mod list as while it may have been essential years ago it isn't now.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th May 2019 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Gummilutt actually went into considerable depth, before she went missing, on why alfixes isn't necessary any more, since all of its important functions have been duplicated by other mods which don't have undesirable side effects like killing love letters.

Actually that was me. :P

http://modthesims.info/t/showthread.php?t=533369
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:52 AM
I use Slig's version of alfixes which shouldn't nuke the love letters.

https://slig.dreamwidth.org/33808.html
Alchemist
#8 Old 8th May 2019 at 2:19 PM Last edited by Phantomknight : 3rd Apr 2020 at 6:25 PM.
I'm another that agrees that alfixes is not necessary. The problems it supposedly fixes aren't an issue anymore in my game and, as many others have stated, alfixes does more than it says. In my experience, it changes roommate behavior in ways I do not like.(turns out it's a different mod I was thinking of.)

Also, since we are talking about essential mods, I happen to disagree with that list completely. Many things on it aren't so much essential as it is player preference. Especially considering there are several mods to stop or reduce npc and townie spawning, and that sort of thing is only relevant in certain situations (if you want to create a completely custom hood, with your own townies and npcs for example, or if you're a player that has larger hoods, with 100+ households, etc.) Essential mods also vary depending on the length of time you expect to play a hood. Simmers who play the same hood for several generations have different mod needs than simmers who don't play a hood past generation 2.

Agree or disagree, but, imo, off the top of my head there's only two real essential mods and two essential programs: nounlinkondelete and No Sim Loaded are the mods and Hack Conflict Detection Utility and Hoodchecker are the programs. If you play vampires, than I'll add either creaturefixes or Vampires Don't Bite NPCs by jfade to the list. With just those, though, you should be able to fix the game breaking stuff and most bugs that pop up. Now, there are also some extremely helpful mods and programs--I'd also advise a new player to pick up the ffsdebugger (this one borders on essential, I'll admit; some use it all the time, others, sparingly), either the Sim Blender or the Sim Manipulator, and SimPE for example. But I can't say they are necessary. Either way, you can run a game just fine on these few mods.

My advise is, before you cram your download folder with "essential" stuff, think about the hood you want to play & set up, and pick mods based on that. Don't install mods to fix problems you haven't experienced--you may find that you don't experience the problem at all, or that you don't consider something a problem even though another simmer does. Other times, fixes can be so situational that it can be years before a mod is relevant for you.

So play the game vanilla for a while, see what arises, what you like and don't like, then put mods in based on that. I definitely can not recommend putting in a mod like alfixes--or any of pescado's fixes really, unless you know for sure that you are experiencing the problems it address in the facts.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th May 2019 at 2:53 PM
I would view these as the essentials

nounlinkondelete
No Corrupt death
Creature Fixes (if you play creature type sims)
No sim Loaded + Smarter EP check (NSL won't work without the other file)
BatBox
Stuck Object remover
Simblender or some other similar mod

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 8th May 2019 at 4:13 PM
PhantomKnight gave good advice.

I'm just chiming in to say that, yes, Inteen conflicts with lots of things -- even itself, deliberately -- but about 90% of the issues that come up can be resolved with changing load order, though doing so may overwrite bits and pieces of either Inteen or the other conflicting mod. I have hundreds of mods in my game, have used Inteen for most of the decade that I've been playing, and I have run across very few mods that absolutely cannot be used with Inteen. Most of those have been things made by Chris Hatch. Which isn't some sort of indictment against him at all. His priority isn't to make Inteen-compatible stuff, as he's made a completely different huge system of mods for himself. So, if you like and want to use a lot of Chris Hatch's mods, you probably don't want to use Inteen and you'd be wise to check out the other options that Marka mentioned. Also, it should be noted that since Inteen's creation, other separate and more focused mods have been made that enable some of its major features, like YA pregnancy, for instance. Those more focused mods are less likely to conflict with other things. Me, I still prefer to use Inteen, simply because my game is pretty much set in terms of mods, and it all plays nicely together, and I don't add stuff often anymore.

In any case, my advice if you want to use Inteen, is to add other mods SLOWLY, and thoroughly test as you add them to make sure that things are working as they should in your game, with no "jump bugs" (where Sims reset when you command them to do something or when they try to do something autonomously) or missing pie menu options. Those two are the hallmarks of mod conflicts, and if you add mods slowly it makes it a lot easier to find (and probably resolve) conflicts.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.