Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 7:21 PM Last edited by suzannemariema : 21st Dec 2018 at 5:04 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SOLVED 800x600 resolution, literally no matter what I do
Hey all!

I'm having a heck of a time getting back into my game, and this is one of many issues I'm running into and I'm losing my mind.

I've done every single thing that is supposed to fix the resolution issue of the game, and none of it is working. It still only shows the option for 800x600. Here's what I did:

-edited graphic rules file in Apartment Life (I'm working with my discs now - just uninstalled UC and reinstalled my disks yesterday). I've done this many times in the past and it's always worked. Now it isn't.

-updated graphics card and drivers.

-changed all graphic rules files throughout every pack and stuff pack.

-made sure I was working in a lower windows compatibility.

What am I missing?

EDIT: I installed and applied Graphics Rules Maker. Didn't work.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 3:31 AM
Did you edit the Video Card.sgr file to include your dedicated graphics card in the list?

Also, I presume by editing the Graphics Rules.sgr files, you mean you edited the resolution of the low, medium, and high settings to be at your preferred sizes, right?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
Did you edit the Video Card.sgr file to include your dedicated graphics card in the list?

Also, I presume by editing the Graphics Rules.sgr files, you mean you edited the resolution of the low, medium, and high settings to be at your preferred sizes, right?

Yes to the latter, no to the former. I'll check that out and let you know, thank you! However, I thought that was included in the Graphics Rules Maker. I'll make sure to look for myself.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 4:38 AM
Well, my thoughts, if you mess manually with the Graphics Rules.sgr I believe that could be problems, I never mess with config files (except with the GRM, I let that do it). Also, I'm on Windows 10 and do not have to use Compatibility, it's running fine. Try taking it off, it might be defaulting the game to lower resolution. Did you check the Device Info tab in the Graphic Rules Maker? Make sure it's recognizing your card. Then in the right corner of the GRM you have to save the files so it writes it in the Graphic Rules.sgr also check the two dropdown menus for Default resolution and Maximum resolution and set them to the highest.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh

It won't even load a neighborhood now. Geez. I can't win.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:04 AM
I SPOKE TOO SOON! d_dgjdhh and suzymarie64, you were both right.

I needed the game to recognize my graphics card AND I needed to turn off the all compatibility fixes and just run on windows 10, i guess.
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:53 AM
@suzannemariema So, it's running good now I hope.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
@suzannemariema So, it's running good now I hope.

Not quite. Resolution is fine. However it keeps crashing. I decided to try to the 4GB patch to see if that would help the problem. ( I just posted again on the 4GB patch sticky above).

When I moved the .exe into the CSBin I no longer encountered crashing for some reason. However, the resolution reverted right back to where it was AND it didn't actually change the amount of memory that the game will read.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 3:39 PM
@suzannemariema

I had the same problem! The wonderful Jules told me exactly what to do. I'll hunt it down. BRB

FOUND IT! I'm pasting Jules post here. This will work. All thanks goes to Jules.

Originally Posted by Jules1111
If you are not getting any other screen size to appear, then the graphic rules didn't work all the way. It happens to many cards. You will need to alter the file by hand. It is not hard. Go to (whichever drive you installed on) -> Program files x86 -> Origin games -> The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection -> Fun With Pets -> SP9 -> TSData -> Res -> Config

In the Config file click on the Graphic Rules file. It should open in notepad. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way until you see a section like this

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 1920
uintProp maxResHeight 1080
uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
uintProp defaultResHeight 1080

setting $MediumButDefaultLow

setting $Medium

setting $High
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom maximum resolution
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom default resolution
end

Note your numbers on the sides are most likely different, which is why you can't choose another resolution. Just change all the numbers to the ones I have above. I had to do this myself. This will let you choose from any resolution between 800x600 and 1920x1080. Make sure to save it after altering it.

Edit: Also make a copy of the file after altering it, and put it in the CSConfig file as well. You can let it override the one that is in there, or if you feel more comfortable you can move the one out of the CSConfig file, then place the altered one in.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
@suzannemariema

I had the same problem! The wonderful Jules told me exactly what to do. I'll hunt it down. BRB

FOUND IT! I'm pasting Jules post here. This will work. All thanks goes to Jules.

Originally Posted by Jules1111
If you are not getting any other screen size to appear, then the graphic rules didn't work all the way. It happens to many cards. You will need to alter the file by hand. It is not hard. Go to (whichever drive you installed on) -> Program files x86 -> Origin games -> The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection -> Fun With Pets -> SP9 -> TSData -> Res -> Config

In the Config file click on the Graphic Rules file. It should open in notepad. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way until you see a section like this

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low

setting $MediumButDefaultLow

setting $Medium

setting $High
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom maximum resolution
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom default resolution
end

Note your numbers on the sides are most likely different, which is why you can't choose another resolution. Just change all the numbers to the ones I have above. I had to do this myself. This will let you choose from any resolution between 800x600 and 1920x1080. Make sure to save it after altering it.

Edit: Also make a copy of the file after altering it, and put it in the CSConfig file as well. You can let it override the one that is in there, or if you feel more comfortable you can move the one out of the CSConfig file, then place the altered one in.

Thanks! The issue I'm having now, however, is when I place the .exe file into the CSBin to activate the 4GB patch the game no longer recognizes the changed made in Graphic Rules nor does it seem to recognize the graphic card any longer. The changes are still there, I double checked to make sure they didn't revert back. The switch from TSBin to CSBin is causing a problem, AND it isn't even helping the config-log recognize more than 2048MB on both memory and free memory.

I've already made another reply on the 4gb patch post that's stickied.