Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 4:19 PM
Default Please help me make Frenchipolis awesome
Hello CFF,
I have a huge project in the works at the moment and I have ambitions to make it reach excellence. It's a set of about 40 buildings that would make a neighbourhood look more elaborate or realistic while keeping a silly edge. I'm going to post pictures of buildings as I complete them so that I can know what I can improve on each of them; that way, I'll refine them until they're all as good as they could be.

A round of applause for our first candidate, Conalot Shopping Centre. Feel free to ask for closer/more precise shots of some areas.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2010 at 9:56 PM
No comments/suggestions yet? I kind of need those if I wish to make my building set really cool.
Well, moving on to this inconspicuous factory doubling as a hideout for dangerous criminals.
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 1:28 AM
If you're making 40 lots, why not just go all the way and make a unique neighbourhood for them?

I don't take requests. :-)

"You with this lovely baby blue/green huge eyes and this evil touch...couldn't be more adorable" - My Vera
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 2:42 AM
Hey Frenchie, these lots are looking good! I particularly like the shopping mall, great layout with everything your sim could need.

I agree with Wicked_poppies, you could put all of these into a neighbourhood. If you have SC4 you could make a terrain, if not you could download something suitable. It would be a great showcase for your lots, and I'm sure you'd give it that quirky 'Frenchie' twist that's the trademark of your creations.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:20 AM Last edited by The_French_Sim : 24th Nov 2010 at 11:38 AM.
(Ah, Simsample, what a pleasure seeing you around. This reminds me of the good old days!)

I've pondered that, but then it struck me that the NH would require all the EPs (no stuff packs), whereas uploading separate lots would let people pick and choose which lots they are able to/want to use depending on which EPs they have and on their particular playing style.

Although, the whole NH thing has merit. It would enable me to already set some sims as business owners, making the NH ready to play, and to have a weird, Frenchie-like storyline going on... and maybe I could upload the lots separately if there's some demand, and if people just want that stuff in their own NH. Then again, there's the lot bin.
Just in case, I'll keep building them with the AGS, like I've been doing so far. Maybe I'll keep low-EP versions of my lots, and then add content from other EPs directly in the NH's lots. Oh, the loveliness.

Knowing my motivations for working on separate lots, do you still think I should make a NH instead of a metric crapload of lots? The idea has its merits and I'm starting to seriously ponder it, but I think I need additional input by you and/or others. To make sure it'd be a desired download, y'know.

(holy crap, it's becoming something like Create-a-World, but for TS2 there)
Theorist
#6 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 3:41 PM
I say continue what you're doing but I would love to see a neighborhood too! Great work so far

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 5:25 PM
Phae suggested I'd make all the lots separately, upload the full NH in the first post of the thread, and then upload all the lots in later posts in the same thread. Works for me.
Anyway, police station, graveyard, city hall. The city hall's basement is empty but ready. That's why there are no stairs to access it. Fill it with suspicious stuff if your mayor is a little corrupt.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 7:46 PM
And here's the hospital.
On the lobby: ER, reception, morgue
1st floor: staff room, ward, surgery, GP, psychiatry
2nd floor: cafeteria, kitchen
3rd floor: chief of staff's office, research, MRI, small on-call rooms, physical therapy
4th floor: ward, surgery, ob/gyn, maternity ward
5th floor: rooftop helipad
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The_French_Sim
(Ah, Simsample, what a pleasure seeing you around. This reminds me of the good old days!)

Hehe, it's good to see you around, too!

Phaenoh had a good idea- making a neighbourhood and also providing the lots separately would please everyone.

I love what you're doing so far, the detail in these lots is excellent. I especially love the 'lineup' room in the police station! Great work.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 5:36 AM
A good idea for lots would be schools. Preschool/Daycare, Elementary/Primary, Middle, High/Secondary, and Private/Boarding facilities as well as college and education centres. I am in love with that Town Hall so far! Go the extra mile with landscaping, too. Make huge gardens and parks. I'm bookmarking this thread for sure!

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 12:59 PM
I'm working on a 'Simiverse' myself and I must say that for continuity in architecture creating an entire neighbothood is the way to go. You start to design a background story for the 'hood and even some interesting sims that should live there to compliment the average sims-pool. Working within this framework, it really gave me some great ideas, inspired by the background and storylines I dreamed up while building.

So yeah, even if you decide against uploading the entire 'hood and go lot by lot, people will sense the fact that the lots are connected in a broader sense than evenly spaced street-lights on every lot.
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: Useful neighborhood creation advice.