Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 5:54 PM
Default How to build a basement covered by terrain? Orig TS2
Hey there folks i was wandering if anyone could help me with my recent build... i have a problem - i would really like to have undergroung rooms, BUT how can i make it so that terrain covers it rather than the foundation...? i thought that if one used the constrainfloorelevation cheat you could make it so that the walls of the basement join with the above terrain (i.e the floor tiles will cover the basement level). However it just wont let me do this and i have ditches surrounding my basement... i can build basements using foundation but how do i build a basement without the foundation and make the above floor tiles blend in with the terrain? part of the basement is already under my house but i wanna build rooms underneath the garden that are unseen untill you go to the lowest possible level. Are there any ways to do this using hacks/changing configs or any other possible way? I hope this makes sense :s...it would be great if someone could help me... thanks
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 8:41 PM
Moving to Build...

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 10:26 PM
hi snyder,
Alas actually there is no way to build under the ground level, I never saw such buildings, make sure that if it was possible a lotsbuilder did it and will be proud to show his, no her lot !
I saw some pics about that (in the V1ND1CARE journal) but no realization !
I am sorry for you , but you can believe that I will be interested to do it !

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 4:23 AM
maybe check out mikeinside's tuts.

check out my story Faking It
Casting call for Eve's Apple currently going on PM me!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:49 AM
Alas useless summer wine !
May be improving the V1ND1CARE tutorial and you becomes THE GREAT builder !
MikeInside tutos are very good to begin in a kind of buiding tools but are a little outdated now.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 7:53 AM
summer_wine,

lol... just in case and keep in mind patul is not always clear in Engliash and this's just a case of it.
He meant "mikeinside's tuts" could not help "build a basement covered by terrain". So, it's not "useless summer wine", but (that's) "useless", "summer wine".

I think patul has given a right way to go.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 8:07 AM
Thank you Moi_

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#8 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 8:15 AM
Is there maybe someone throwing stones around sitting in the glasshouse, niol?
Somehow I can't follow, anybody - I *thought* it is possible to do so - which tuto by V1ND1CARE do you mean? *confused*

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 8:27 AM
khaibit, it is this one : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=190663

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 8:40 AM
Ah, thank you Patul - at least I thought of the right one then (think I should catch some sleep...)
Still not clear to me: it is complicated but possible, isn't it? I mean, if I remember correctly then I did it allready a while ago... maybe I didn't get the principle you're discussing. It's about "building something like a cellar that is on ground floor height", right?

Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 8:50 AM
You're right, alas is a problem (actually ?) without answer !
Ask niol, but I think it will be around the 50th question about this subject in this forum ...with the same answer !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#12 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 9:00 AM
As I said, I created a house using this principle but it didn't look nice (the house itself, was an ugly shape :D), I've had to cheat with the walls (also take them doubled like a fountain) and the whole lot crashed my game again and again - I gave up fiddeling after a while but it must be possible to improve it - the principle worked.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 5:03 PM Last edited by niol : 12th Dec 2006 at 5:27 PM.
LOl, for now, what I can think of to try out is the following:

1. when using the connecting/modular stairs, build them at their predefined positions first. The typical TS1 styled saircases or lifts/elevators won't work out at all due to the non-standarly-positioned and unlevelled grid layers unless they're modded to do so. Remember, the exit of such basement will remain on the upper level(s) rather than the ground, so one more "invisible" or buried stealth stair (at leat under the eventual basement position.) is necessary unless with a modded staircase as a bridge to link both levells together as in the case for connecting the stages and foundations.
2. Then, start to build the ground level or probably better the upper level(s) as the gonna-be basement.
3. sink the room under the ground layer.

Note:
1. ensure the final look before sinking it down with V1ND1CARE's method. Or, you're gonna have to use bp-cfe-f to re-highen the basement back above the ground and re-sink it again. A lower grid layer or a higher one can block away the mouse-clicks. So, ensure sims can autonomusly interact with objects used in such basement type.
2. may tile the basement roof with transparent tiles for visibility coz there's a chance the ground cover will block the basement completely that there's no way to see what happens under the ground layer. So, you'll need to tile the ground level of the basement region probably with some ground cover-looking tiles as well. When wanna watch what happens underground, you may shift-retile that ground tile region with transparent tiles to gain visibility to the basement.. Typical tiling may re-set the grid layer and unbury you basement.
3. i can't guarantee this must work out coz I've not even tried that before. So, this's a supposition. There maybe more to know about or control before it can be done.

Surely, the best way is to request Maxis to enable the basement UI. So, we can simply click down to the underground level though its surrounding is not worth looking at.

good lucks...
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 9:01 PM
hey people I want to do almost the same but it wont happen till now and i hope that someone makes a tuturial for it
Mad Poster
#15 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 5:10 AM
The approaches are still experimental, so a tutorial will take an enthusiatic person to get the things done and proven and make a tute for it.

But, it can be too much for a pictorial tute if the mentioned approaches works out. A video tute may be a better way to go assuming the watchers know what tools are applied.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies