Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 7:36 PM Last edited by Primavera : 11th Nov 2018 at 8:34 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Two Lots Crashed After Trying to Remove Fences
I downloaded these two lots for the purpose of renovating them for the sake of my sim story. I removed all of the CC with Clean Installer so a lot of Maxis items were put in place. I can remove the Maxis items fine, but when it came to removing the fences my game crashed.

I looked back at my logs but nothing jumped out at me to explain why it crashed (although it's been a while because my game rarely crashes so I don't know if I'm looking at the right thing). This happened once before with a different lot (with the CC still in place to avoid deleting all of the Maxis duplicates); my game crashed twice while I was removing the fence and I ultimately deleted the house out of frustration. I've already removed these lots as well but I still have the packages.

Can anybody help me figure this out? All of the other lots I have in my Lot Bin never crashed when I renovated them if this helps.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 7:44 PM
Install the houses with the CC fences, and remove them from the lot ingame. Then you can remove the CC fences from your downloads.

Fences are more similar to walls than other types of CC, and it's possible the game can't figure out what to replace them with.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 7:49 PM Last edited by Primavera : 11th Nov 2018 at 8:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Install the houses with the CC fences, and remove them from the lot ingame. Then you can remove the CC fences from your downloads.

Fences are more similar to walls than other types of CC, and it's possible the game can't figure out what to replace them with.

I had a feeling I might have to do this. Alright, I'm gonna exit my game and install the lots back, I'll keep the CC in a separate folder so I can delete it later

EDIT: I managed to delete the fences on the first lot. The 2nd lot has wonky terrain and I wasn't able to level it correctly so I got rid of that one. Marking this as solved, thanks for the help @simmer22

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Inventor
#4 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 8:45 PM
Bumping because I have this problem too. Does anyone else also have experienced this when removing CC fences? And what solutions/workarounds are the most effective?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 9:06 PM
What Simmer22 said. Download the fences, load the lot and remove with the wall tool and remove the file from your download folder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#6 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 9:20 PM
@joandsarah77 what to do if it's your own lot and you don't know anymore which fence it was? In that case, what would work best to remove that "phantom fence" while keeping the lot?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Softlism
@joandsarah77 what to do if it's your own lot and you don't know anymore which fence it was? In that case, what would work best to remove that "phantom fence" while keeping the lot?

That's tricky. Is it possible you have removed the fence file? Very occasionally removing CC which is on a lot in game can cause crashing. We had this happen with a bush when testing one of the uploaded hoods here, the lot crashed for everyone until it was put back.
I am guessing you tried packaging the lot and installing it in a test game? You could also try cleaning it of sim references, other then that I don't know.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#8 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's tricky. Is it possible you have removed the fence file? Very occasionally removing CC which is on a lot in game can cause crashing. We had this happen with a bush when testing one of the uploaded hoods here, the lot crashed for everyone until it was put back.
I am guessing you tried packaging the lot and installing it in a test game? You could also try cleaning it of sim references, other then that I don't know.

Eventually, I found the missing fence for my Lot, but I wondered this in case someone else cannot find their lost fence anymore and found this thread through googling. I noticed the crashing happens when the deleted fence is connected to a wall/fence. From now on, I pay more attention to placing the removed fences in a separate folder.