Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2013 at 7:45 AM
Default Sims: Balance Between Cartoon and Realism
i think these are perfect for the sims 4. I'd love it if TS4 could have graphics like this. The texture of the hair, clothes and the facial expression, Perfect. What do you think?

Q: Being less cartoon'ish and more realistic would make the game heavier on computers

A: False, there's a lot of techniques like bump mapping that help developers give a realistic look to textures, any recent graphic card with less than 8 years support bump mapping, there's a lot more techniques that can help giving that realistic look, being 3D doesnt mean it should look cartoon'ish.

With technology available today, there's no excuses when The Sims 4 comes out.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th May 2013 at 8:46 AM
Totally Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree with you!!!! This is just perfect!!!! But, we all know EA is never going to do that. They always do cheap fast work.....
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2013 at 10:37 AM
As they are, they look nice, but within the game they would probably look silly due to strange animations, blurry textures and very bright light.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th May 2013 at 10:46 AM
The Sims 4: High End Hooker Pack

In all seriousness, they look lovely, but I also don't know that they would translate that well to Sims gameplay.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 30th May 2013 at 12:26 PM
Oh, I think they would translate quite well to Sims game play, providing the game engine is robust enough to handle those renders in real time, along with facial expressions that are anatomically possible, not ridiculous as they could be in TS3.

And I love your idea for a High End Hooker Pack. Unfortunately, that will have to come from the community, as TS4 will likely be T rated as always. But I have faith your vision will be created in no time by the talented, sexually deviant modders and creators our community is renowned for.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th May 2013 at 12:49 PM
The Uncanny Valley is strong with that design. It's when something looks close enough to right, especially humans, but is just that little bit off that makes it look creepy and wrong. It's better to miss by a lot than get really close when it comes to humans.

These? They're really creepy and wrong. They look fake, like they're plastic replicas of humans, or something. Especially the lips and faces, it's just creepy. If this is what passes for "realistic", then I'd prefer cartoony. Plus cartoony has a big advantage when it comes to animation, you can do the needed exaggerated animations to alert the player that something is going on, even when viewed from a far zoom level, without invoking the "humans don't move like that" creepy sense. And for any video game, gameplay concerns must have priority.

So, yeah, give me exaggerated caricatures over yet another Uncanny Valley design any day. I'd much prefer if it went in a Pixar-ish caricature direction than this.
Instructor
#7 Old 30th May 2013 at 12:51 PM
While they do look nice, something looks a bit off with them? They don't look quirky or fun.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Scholar
#8 Old 30th May 2013 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
And I love your idea for a High End Hooker Pack. Unfortunately, that will have to come from the community, as TS4 will likely be T rated as always. But I have faith your vision will be created in no time by the talented, sexually deviant modders and creators our community is renowned for.

LOL! I'm sure they would do a fine job.

High End Hooker was just my first thought when I saw the photos. I went searching for the source of these photos and the results were actually a bit creepy.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th May 2013 at 1:12 PM
I don't think this graphics would work with The Sims: this game is special because it's not the REAL life, but a parody of how it is... with a lot of funny things, magic and strange situations. I honestly prefer cartoonish sims, and as other people said: realistic sims who do funny animations would look strange.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th May 2013 at 1:37 PM
I'd love if they looked like that. The design is realistic enough for those who want that, but still somewhat simple for those who like cartoonish. If people wanted more cartoonish sims they could easily combine the realistic features with cartoonish skin. That way they would satisfy most players and it would be a huge improvement. But I guess we can only hope. From the few pictures it seems like they're going for cartoonish again.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th May 2013 at 1:50 PM
Too realistic for me. To add quirky silly animations to those would look wrong.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#12 Old 30th May 2013 at 2:14 PM
Those are the type of Sims that are sort of going to be a requirement for me to kick out my $60 for TS4. If it's more cartoon stuff I'll stick to TS3 until TS4 hits the bargain bin.
Scholar
#13 Old 30th May 2013 at 3:07 PM
That would work for me And it would work with silly expressions too. It is just their posture on the picture that gives the idea that they wouldn't do something silly. Fortunately, anyone can do silly. I can easily imagine seeing the top one (on the right ofc) acting ridiculously excited about something trivial.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 30th May 2013 at 3:56 PM
I can see it. Beautiful sims walking like on a catwalk. Then suddenly, route fail tantrum.
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th May 2013 at 4:02 PM
But what would fat sims and males look like?
Instructor
#16 Old 30th May 2013 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aw4k3n1ng
Q: Being less cartoon'ish and more realistic would make the game heavier on computers

A: False, there's a lot of techniques like bump mapping that help developers give a realistic look to textures, any recent graphic card with less than 8 years support bump mapping, there's a lot more techniques that can help giving that realistic look, being 3D doesnt mean it should look cartoon'ish.

Well, it would be nice if Sims were less cartoon like, in the sense of exagerated features. I'd like more combo's to work with. I understand too perfect, gets boring. But, the "gorilla" face was just stupid (sims 2).

I don't think I'd want what they did with the Sims 3 looks.

For god sake, please give babies different looks, they all looked the same to me, with the exception of alien babies.

So, I tend to like more real or as real you can get with the Sims. But, I'd settle for combination of looks, if they balanced out. Not just a couple of nice looking, a few bland, but still workable, and the rest fugly. Then we all can play with what looks we would want in our games.

But seeing, the design is already worked out, we just have to wait to see how CAS, face templates, and genes will work in Sims 4. But, because EA wants this to sell, expect to see mostly attractive Sims in the advertisements. Which, is ironic!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2013 at 5:15 PM
I actually like those. To me, they look more like TS2's successor than TS3. They look real but at the same time, cartoony. Just like how the Sims 2 was.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 30th May 2013 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99

High End Hooker was just my first thought when I saw the photos. I went searching for the source of these photos and the results were actually a bit creepy.

It's only creepy because Amanda and Penelope are unconscious in all the photos. I still like the blonde in the last photo holding onto the passed out/overdosed Amanda, though. I do want her in my game. And who knows, maybe Amanda and Penelope are a blast to be around when they're not comatose.
Instructor
#19 Old 30th May 2013 at 7:10 PM
I'll be that guy. I don't really like the looks of those, not for sims. It's not that I don't have a problem with the super realistic, uncanny valley look, but it just looks...strangely out of place in the Sims game. Personally I felt like the tiny preview snippet we got in the TS4 banner looks a lot more like a natural progression from TS2 - the similar matte look from the base unmodded game, but beefed up to 2013 specs, so everything looks crisper and smoother without turning everything into pudding. IMO with the way sims look now they look decently cartoonish, but can easily be modded to be more more realistic, and I don't really think I'd like it if they shipped looking hyper-realistic out of the box.
Another issue I have, is that the super-realistic sims would look painfully out of place in the cartoony world, so everything else would have to be cranked up to those standards. And while having the realistic sims wouldn't probably cause much extra strain on computers, having everything else look like that too would.

Basically what I'm saying is that I like the cartoony look in the Sims because it can easily be altered if you want to, and if I want realistic looking people I'll play Skyrim. Or Mass Effect. Or...any other game.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Instructor
#20 Old 30th May 2013 at 9:44 PM
i think these are perfect for the sims 4. I'd love it if TS4 could have graphics like this. The texture of the hair, clothes and the facial expression, Perfect. What do you think?

WoW!! Is she just apply to EXTREME MAKEOVER TV?
Hehehe.

To tell you the truth, though I love my sims to be as realistic as they can, these pics remind me of 3D Adult anime too much.

I think "FINAL FANTASY" style is OK for me. Look real and beautiful enough.

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrompas
I can see it. Beautiful sims walking like on a catwalk. Then suddenly, route fail tantrum.

Oh you made me fall on floor laughing!!!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 31st May 2013 at 8:15 AM

First picture on the left from Sims 3,too doll-lish

Second picture for Sims 4,PERFECTO

Add it with body customization,SUPREME
Forum Resident
#22 Old 31st May 2013 at 8:25 AM
Looks alright, though after sims3 I worry more about male sims looking like men. They often look a bit feminine in sims3.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 31st May 2013 at 8:51 AM
Since I am not a gamer or an artist, I don't really have an opinion either way right now. I do like the cartoony look, but some more definition in the face and body features is nice. The OP's example show only one bodyshape and I play all types. I really loved that EA extended the body shapes but found it very frustrating that I can't have a sim with a slim upper body and curvy bottom or a sim kind of heavy upper body with a slimmer bottom. I want all types of body shapes and make them genetic. Might be wanting too much.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 31st May 2013 at 9:36 AM
These are neither very realistic nor very cartoonish. There needs to be a balance within the two, as stated in the thread title, and I just don't see the balance here at all. If the Sims in TS4 were to hypothetically look like this than I would definitely be part of the "The Sims look ugly" group that will not doubt strongly voice their opinions upon release of further information.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#25 Old 31st May 2013 at 10:08 AM
I think the pictures as in the main post, that style might cater more to teenage girls but they might just alienate the male fanbase further as with sims3.

With sims2 I feel they are still aiming more at both genders.
Page 1 of 5