Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 2:05 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 24th Jun 2018 at 1:31 PM.
Default Help figuring out how to Mod to let witches walk to lot
I don't mind that witches are able to fly, but getting on the broom when they should just walk next door with the other mortals is in the "it was cute the first time" category. Any mod to stop the witch ONLY being able to fly to lot. Can I have back my nice dignified walk?

EDIT: This started out as a WCIF but evolved into a modding discussion. At this point, I'm still searching for the object to mod. I've extracted the bhavs suggested (below) and have also looked at removing the fly transition token, but I'm no closer to a solution. Any help is much appreciated!
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I don't mind that witches are able to fly, but getting on the broom when they should just walk next door with the other mortals is in the "it was cute the first time" category. Any mod to stop the witch ONLY being able to fly to lot. Can I have back my nice dignified walk?

*bump*
I guess there's not a mod to make witches be able to walk again? Any suggestions for work around? Or would it make sense for me to learn more about editing menus, to put it back on along with fly to lot, maybe?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 12:06 AM
I am all for learning new things, and regarding sims modding & creation, it is even more so! I would suggest you try modding it...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I am all for learning new things, and regarding sims modding & creation, it is even more so! I would suggest you try modding it...

I've only looked into TTAB mods a bit. I wouldn't mind working on learning more, but I'd kinda like to know if it makes any sense to try. I really don't know enough to know if it does or not. It seems like it might.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 2:18 AM
This is what I think too. But I am no modder. The Walk To Lot interaction could be altered for witches only. Maybe just a flag to remove ?

Instructor
#6 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 9:29 PM
Maybe buying a 'Walk to Lot' sign would help?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:18 PM
creature specific settings I think would be controlled through BHAVs rather than through TTAB. though the TTAB could tell which BHAV to edit; usually the "Guardian" BHAV.
there are tutorials for editing both. this site's wiki; also Sim Resource's wiki.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:30 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 14th Feb 2018 at 1:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
creature specific settings I think would be controlled through BHAVs rather than through TTAB. though the TTAB could tell which BHAV to edit; usually the "Guardian" BHAV.
there are tutorials for editing both. this site's wiki; also Sim Resource's wiki.

Thank you, I will look into this, though it may be above my pay grade. @mdsb759, would you mind linking to the tutorials you think would be most useful?

Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
Maybe buying a 'Walk to Lot' sign would help?

@legacyoffailures Oooo, promising! I didn't know about this. Thanks! I'll try that.

UPDATE: Sadly, buying the sign did not work. If my witch is active and I click the sign, he still only has the option of flying. Sigh.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:15 PM

Thank you, that's a good start. Some of them I have read. That's how I understood the TTAB and whatnot. I need one really basic piece of info, though. In most of these, they are talking about modifying an object, which I've dabbled in, but, and I know this may be dumb, but for the "Walk to Lot" menu on the Sim, what is it? What "object" do I need to look into editing to edit the Sim menu itself?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:28 PM
The thing to edit would be the BHAV - Walk To.... One is home one is community, both have a flag to check if sim is witch and then it changed dialog to Fly To...
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The thing to edit would be the BHAV - Walk To.... One is home one is community, both have a flag to check if sim is witch and then it changed dialog to Fly To...

Thank you!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th May 2018 at 1:29 PM
I'm bringing back this thread because I'm revisiting the issue and going to try to mod it, but I need help finding the BHAV - Walk to... How do I access it? Where is it stored?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th May 2018 at 1:34 PM
I think, you'd need to import it from semi global. But HugeLunatic is way better than me at this!
So...maybe go read about how to import semi global?...

Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th May 2018 at 4:56 PM
In objects.package:
BVAV 0x05EA Interaction - Walk To - Community Lot TEST
and
BHAV 0x05EC Interaction - Walk To - Home TEST
Alchemist
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th May 2018 at 6:02 PM
Do I just open objects.package as I would open a custom one, or do I load it in Object Workshop and find it in there somehow?
Alchemist
#17 Old 17th May 2018 at 7:12 PM
You just click on it like you'd open a custom one, find the lines you are looking for and right click and hit extract, then put them in a new package. You probably know this, but just to be safe - don't make any changes to the objects.package file.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 1st Jun 2018 at 1:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
You just click on it like you'd open a custom one, find the lines you are looking for and right click and hit extract, then put them in a new package. You probably know this, but just to be safe - don't make any changes to the objects.package file.

Thank you! Yes, but good reminder.

EDIT:

I tried, I pulled out those BHAVs, but I still don't see anywhere in those to change a flag regarding witches.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:15 PM
It's been a while, but I have continued to try to solve this issue and I just don't have enough knowledge at this point. I have extracted the BHAVs and poured over them in my limited way, but I don't see a test for witches. Could anyone more knowledgeable kindly take a look and point it out to me?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  walkwitch.zip (583 Bytes, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Just the community and home tests BHAVs mentioned above.
Rubric Wrangler
#20 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 12:14 AM
Thread moved to modding discussion, since this has evolved from a WCIF.

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Alchemist
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 11:10 PM
@st_d, Thanks so much for taking a look. I like the witches, too, I just like them to act more like regular sims and to keep the witchcraft on the down low. The broom flights break the illusion for me, and rather gives them away to the sims who aren't supposed to know they are witches. I don't mind stopping the flying altogether. Though, I'd rather, too, they have a choice, for... I don't know... witch conventions or something.

But... when I look at the BHAVs I don't have a line 0xF or 0x5, though I was looking for something like you describe, an obvious test that I could route around, but I don't see anything like that in the files. Do you mean that you are adding lines? or, more likely, I just still don't know what I'm looking at. When you mind taking a screenshot and explaining a little more? I really appreciate your help. I've been struggling with this a long time!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 25th Jun 2018 at 2:10 PM.
Ok, well, opening the right file made a world of difference! When I think how long by now I could have been crashing my game.... I must have been using the one from apartment life? I don't know. Sheeeesh! Thank you! Big surprise, when I use the right file, there's an obvious test for witches and it's discovered I'm not blind after all! :D

I'm just thinking about different approaches here. I'm wondering if it makes sense to leave the phone booth alone. If you want to walk to lot, you're not going to go to the phone booth, anyway, are you? I've not used the walk sign, but what is it for if you can just walk with a self-click? Also, how does the Add/Change the Action String work? In this case, it's clearly changing the string, but is it possible there to make it only add the fly string, so that the walk string is never changed? I see that the test for witch is needed to let them go to the secret witch lot as well. It would make sense if they could fly there.

I've also played with the idea of removing the token for the Fly Transition, but I haven't been able to figure out if that even makes sense yet.

The hats were the first thing to go. I have CJ-NoWitchName (It just changes a BHAV) and LBFNoWitchAura, though my first witch still has the overlay. He's a flashy guy; it looked good on him.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 10:14 PM
First, everything you have said is useful, even if I do have to spend a couple hours googling, processing, and experimenting. I really appreciate your looking at this with me.

I'd never used the pedestrian sign except as a model for VC. The Witch Crossing is pretty adorable and I notice it still has both walk and fly, not sure if that's useful, but maybe. I've played around with extracting the witch broom, too, but it's not there yet.

Ok, I hahahahahaha modified the hahahahahaha Community - Transport hahahahahaha, and it worked! She was at the Bowl & Dine and wanted to go home so she walked off the lot! Yay! Then, hahahahahaha, the broom appeared and flew home after her! I love this game so much!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 10:02 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 27th Jun 2018 at 1:12 AM.
I thought of that, too. I tried it, but it didn't work. I assume because that is already what is happening - maybe the later EP files (the ones we were looking at) are already over-writing those files in their older EP (the one from AL?). I replaced the interactions, tests, and transport. The menu says walk, but the witches still fly. With all this testing, I'm probably going to get used to it now. :P

Oh! I just realized that you wrote new text for the HP spells. That's funny, because I always had a lot of trouble using the spells because I didn't think it was fun to work so hard just to figure out what they were, and, unfortunately, I don't really know HP well, so I used yours as a base to rewrite them for myself. I rewrote simpler (and somewhat better than Maxis rhythmically) poems and named the spells with plain English names so I can find them quickly. Funny that I was using yours without realizing. Thank you for sharing that. Since I just rewrote them myself, I know how much work that was, and I couldn't have done it all if you hadn't extracted all the right stuff first.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 10:53 PM
I am bumping this to document that

I <3 Midgethetree. She made a mod in response to my request that is so charming. I had just about given up on making this happen myself, and she has created something really fun - a buyable broom that can be used to fly when needed and a mod that makes witches walk without it. @Radium, big Sim <3!
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...or-all-the-work