Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 2:07 AM
Default Download Page Text Not Displaying Special Characters Anymore
Looking at my scorecard today, I noticed that the link to my Cárdenas Rail Station & Harvey House - NO CC lot was no longer properly displaying the accented 'a' character in the name correctly, but instead had the diamond question mark that indicates an unknown character. When I went into the download page, I also noticed that many of the characters in the description text (even when they weren't 'special' characters, but just things like apostrophes or quotation marks) also weren't displaying correctly, instead being replaced by a random collection of characters.

I know this is new, since it's been the case for a while now that quotation marks and apostrophes from a Word document don't translate over to the MTS platform, and so one of the more tedious steps in uploading any of my creations has always been going in and replacing them with the apostrophes or quotation marks on the platform itself, and aside from a few that I've missed, the text when I uploaded it wouldn't have had these errors.

What changed, and (more importantly) can it change back?

ETA: As I kind of expected, the same thing is happening with this post too...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 2:38 AM
Same issue happening with my story post. I have a ticket open and i think it had to do with a recent encoding change. I hope it's fixed soon!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 2:04 AM
Yes, the same thing happened to me. I've gone through all of my neighborhood uploads fixing apostrophes and dashes and removing simoleons signs. I haven't done anything yet with my other uploads. Quite a pain. I, too, hope it's fixed soon.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 8:45 AM
I already fixed this yesterday

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
I already fixed this yesterday

Unfortunately it's still not fixed... In Chrome and Edge, special characters just show up as the diamond-question-mark symbol now...

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 3:58 PM
Argh! It's definately working fine in this thread so.... and I know I fixed it yesterday on downloads. Let me go look again....

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 4:04 PM
Okay I turned back on the conversion of w1250 to utf8 encoding. So now it should work

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 4:09 PM Last edited by Zarathustra : 23rd Mar 2018 at 4:32 PM.
Seems to have worked for the descriptive text, the download link from the search page still shows the diamond though... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: Seems fully fixed now... hopefully?

Link Ninja
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 7:56 PM
nay, a bunch of my older story chapters are back to question marks in diamonds for all apostrophes and quotes with the rollback. I may just have to manually update all 40-some to fix it :/

Instructor
#10 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 7:20 AM
As for me, the problem persists when copy from a wordpress in utf-8.
I corrected the question mark from "Année" and got a strange combo instead - just for info. Not that I really care that I can't put "é".
Ah yes, also : for me it displays correctly at first. I get the question mark symbols in the PM notification and when I edit. Otherwise, I wouldn't know they're there.

I make sims worlds ... can you believe it ?
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:40 PM
Guys, what's going on? Special characters are not displayed correctly. What to do? My friend Secret â„¢ (http://www.modthesims.info/m/9838637) can not log into your account. Where are the moderators and admins. When will fix bugs and where to handle complaints? User Secret â„¢ was out of the MTS. It is not right!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:42 PM
Ah - someone contacted me @Tashiketh about not being able to PM this user: http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=10055048

Similar problem?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:50 PM
May be. I dont know. "The username or password you entered is incorrect". There were no letters.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
nay, a bunch of my older story chapters are back to question marks in diamonds for all apostrophes and quotes with the rollback. I may just have to manually update all 40-some to fix it :/

Displaying stories (like http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582545 ) should work now, as should Editing.

Link Ninja
#15 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 6:04 PM
Displaying stories (like http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582545 ) should work now, as should Editing.

@Tashiketh thank you, truly. You saved me from many more hours of editing it's looking good for me as of this morning.

Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Ah - someone contacted me @Tashiketh about not being able to PM this user: http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=10055048

Similar problem?

Identical problem for me. This used to be my username - http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=4914505

I woke up yesterday morning, completely logged out for the first time in prolly two years. I try logging back in only to get told my email/password is incorrect, even though I had it saved in my browser to avoid getting that error message. Delete my old account, fix the issue, I don't care! It's highly annoying, either way!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#17 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 3:29 PM
You can also login using your email address as a username, if it contains weird characters and can't now be logged in.

I'm trying to fix the issue but it's an old codebase, and doesn't *really* like UTF-8.

Test Subject
#18 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 3:38 AM
You can also login using your email address as a username, if it contains weird characters and can't now be logged in.

I'm trying to fix the issue but it's an old codebase, and doesn't *really* like UTF-8.

Sadly, I don't even remember the email address I used for that old account...likely an email I stopped using years ago... Honestly, I've been wanting to change my user name for ages and never could figure out how, so I don't care if the old account gets deleted or not. It's just annoying to have to get a user name change 'cuz I had to make a new account.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 8:55 PM
And now it's back to not working... showing random other characters instead of the special characters that it should.