Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 9:52 PM
Default I'm doing a community survey again
For the last three years I've done an annual community survey they've gotten a whole bunch of responses each time. The results have been interesting so far, and I was asked to redo it for this year. So here we are......We'll be able to see what's happened in the last year, how attitudes and people's hardware have changed, and we can see if any of the games have gotten any more or less popular than they were.

I've posted this thread in the boards for TS2, TS3, and TS4 in an attempt to represent each game's following more fairly, and I've already ran it past a couple of popular Discord servers as well.

Let me know!
Link to the survey
Link to the results

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 10:40 PM
Okay. I gotta know. Who gave EA a 10!?

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Okay. I gotta know. Who gave EA a 10!?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 10:28 AM
I mean, yeah, a lot of people don't get bad performance out of TS3 but generally speaking, you're bound to run into something nasty sooner or later. I put time and effort into fixing my game and managed to eliminate most serious lag. It's also stopped crashing.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I mean, yeah, a lot of people don't get bad performance out of TS3 but generally speaking, you're bound to run into something nasty sooner or later. I put time and effort into fixing my game and managed to eliminate most serious lag. It's also stopped crashing.

I found out TS3 would sometimes crash for me because of windows 10 (When I initially upgraded from 8) and I found a way to fix that issue but before the upgrade, I don't recall it ever crashing on me. As far as lag I currently use Nraas' Overwatch. Though it's not because I cannot play without it If you catch my drift is like extra precautions to possible problems I guess. Before overwatch, I don't recall ever having any major game breaking lag issues and I used to play on my old 2013 HP laptop and my cousin's old dinosaur computer (That, unfortunately, went out for good a few years back RIP). So when I started participating in the forums (At the dawn of TS4) and hearing about TS3 having such a bad rep performance wise for so many people I was baffled... It was the first I'd ever heard of these problems. I mean I get it not everyone will or won't have issues. Maybe I was more bias because my game worked really well and I had a lot of love for the game. I mean I did have bugs here and there but performance wise the game was pretty smooth for me. That being said, I'm not going to tell people, as someone in the forums always does, that it's their fault the game performs badly whether I say its because of their computer or whatever. EA left that game bugs and all. So now a lot of simmers have no choice but to find ways to make a game they love to play, playable again. In this case what choice is there? I mean technically you shouldn't have to do all of that to get the game to work for you, but what other choice do you have if you want to play? It's not your fault EA left the game the way they did. And if that doesn't open the eyes of simmers since then, fast forwarding to now and what's going on with 4 and lag and bugs then nothing ever will...
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 2:06 PM
Unserchably... It's the same with ts4. I NEED to put time and effort into making that game mildly enjoyable. And I still get way less fun than I get with my fixed Sims 3. So yes, both games are broken, but one is still more enjoyable than the other when fixed.
Stupid people are stupid
#9 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 2:18 PM
Few things.
Your way of measuring age is a little strange. People from 1960 and earlier are put into ten year slots, but after that the slots get smaller? Why?

Why isn't there an option to state I never played one of those games? I've never played TS1, but I have no way of giving that as an answer...

Then there's this:
Quote:
At that point, how long did your savegame take to load? Short (<30 seconds) Kinda short (30 seconds - 1 minute) Kinda long (1 - 3 minutes) Long (>2 minutes) Really long (>5 minutes)

Why is "kinda long" longer than "long"?

Lastly, I get this
Quote:
Alright, thank you for your time! Your response has been sent and you may look at what others have said and answered.
and yet... I get a box to tick that says send. I haven't clicked that box, as it says it's already been send...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 3:29 AM
I would have said 3 runs smoothly for me if an option, as it does for me. Am not sure what I said about ram as I think there was a 4-8 and 8-16 and I have 8. I think I said a potato? LOL

Also, I did not expect so many of us to have stayed with Windows 7. I absolutely refused to switch to 10.
Scholar
#11 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Teostar

I was gonna give them a 4 cause of bad buisness practices but because they gave me my favorite game( Sims 3) I gave them 6 lol. But 10! that's just...

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Field Researcher
#14 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 2:02 AM
I was having a hard time thinking if my toilet paper roll is facing me or wall. I don't use toilet paper, why did you do this to me...
Forum Resident
#15 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 3:30 AM
I meant to add this as a comment, but forgot: on one question, about mods, it's HIGHLY variable. Sims 1 and Sims 2 were modded to the hilt for me. Seriously -- I had a neighborhood in TS1 modeled on ancient Rome, and my fav Sims 2 down was an Old West/Medieval fusion. For Sims 3 & 4, I have a few -- a very few -- pieces of clothing and hairs. No objects or anything major. I decided to go with an average of "a lot", because I have hordes of stuff for TS1/TS2.

Edit: I'm really surprised by the amount of people who say they're running Sims on a custom-build gaming rig. I feel like such a rank amateur now because I always start with a prebuilt and upgrade it as I need to.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 8:15 AM
I have used stock PCs but pretty darn good ones so my game has played well on what I have had. My laptop though not a custom one was considered gaming level and played Sims well. My current i7 even though old plays the game very well. All of my computer upgrades over the years have been tied to Sims. :D
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 9:37 AM
I get the feeling people look at me crazy when I tell them I got all this gear just to play The Sims. Sure, I do other stuff with it too, but the dual monitors are damn neat for having TS3 open on one screen and Task Manager on the other. And the fancy gaming keypad is just so I can pre-load all my cheats. I could use it for whatever I want; this is what I choose to do.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#19 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 10:06 AM
Not crazy at all. This is something you enjoy. If I did not play games the very first PC I ever got probably would still work for most other things now.
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 2:36 PM
I liked reading the comments at the end of the survey results. I also wonder if someone found the nephew.