Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 6:19 PM
First Crack At Mods, Gonna Go For The Gun.
So, let it be said outright I've been working with digital arts and media, graphic and web design, coding the like, for going on seven years now. But I still consider myself a beginner. Also, for about 10 years, I've been avidly playing the various levels and expansions of The Sims games. However, up until now I did not have the gall to try and put them together.

So, with a desktop full of fresh off the line program icons, and a whole lot of determination. I am going to create and code a functioning gun set for The Sims 4.

So... Ehmmmm. Urmmm.. Any suggestions?

There are a lot of tutorials for clothes out there. But this is srs bsnss.

Halp.

Plz & Thnx.

-ModGoddess, Blessings To You All :lovestruc
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 11:16 AM
The obstacle might not be any lack of skill on your part, but actually "breaking in" to the game engine to make it respect your modifications and use them. Obviously check out the wiki but for anything other than tuning mods using the xmls I am afraid there is little help apart from making friends with the two or three modders doing work at the depth you're hoping to, and getting advice from them personally on the back of what they have discovered as they've experimented. You might have more fun modding for sims 2 or 3 where the in-depth stuff was all a lot more accessible.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Deceased
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 2:26 AM
The only hard part (from my viewpoint) would be the animations and object modeling, and it doesn't sound like that would be hard based on your stated experience set. The rest of it can likely be done as a straight-up XML mod, just a clone of something based off the simray gun that instead forces a death on the subject.
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 9:28 AM
Oh there's already a gun in the game? I must say I wasn't expecting that!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Deceased
#5 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Oh there's already a gun in the game? I must say I wasn't expecting that!

Yeah, the simray gun is available from the GTW EP and lets you do various things like freeze Sims, force them to do stuff (mind control), transform objects. It's part of the scientist active career. So things like targeting a Sim with a "gun" object and affecting the target can be cloned and altered rather than writing from scratch.
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 8:56 AM
Ah well in that case not such a difficult prospect as I thought I haven't even opened the game in about a year...