Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 2:25 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 6th Sep 2010 at 5:11 AM.
The Super Mario Project! *UPDATED Sept 5, 11:00 AM <Peach's statue>*

EDIT: WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT'S NEW WITH THIS PROJECT WITHOUT SCROLLING THROUGH 100+ PAGES? CLICK HERE.

Here's my new peach castle, and i need to figure out what to surround the castle with. Please take the picture, edit it in a photoshopping program and repost it here. Thanks!

Please note i may not use your design, I'm mainly looking for ideas. Also, the castle itself isn't finished.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Advertisement
Zombie Socks
#2 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 3:24 AM
Well, first problem I see is that the lot did not start out on a completely flat lot. You can put all the landcaping you want in it, but it has to start out on a completely flat lot or it will not be accepted.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 4:11 AM
It is completely flat. that hill is a failed attempt at landscaping.

Zombie Socks
#4 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 8:36 PM
Hmmm.... I was acutally looking at the very left. It looks like if you were to completely flatten the lot it would curve down a bit but that may be just the angle of the picture. *cranes head* That said, are you basing this on anything? I remember the castle in Mario 64... *is playstation 64 oldschool junkie* But the fence makes it look like it's supposed to be based on something. If so, can we see some pictures?

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 11:49 PM
No, I'm sure it's COMPLETELY flat. Some pics (the actual design for the grounds in these is too space consuming, but they're what the castle is based on):

Sorry no daytime pics.
And one for you WWW. Since you're an N64 junkie.

Zombie Socks
#6 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 12:11 AM Last edited by whitewaterwood : 31st Mar 2009 at 4:34 PM.
OMG FLASHBACKS! Well, since you're asking for suggestions on the landscaping of the castle, and you look like you haven't really chosen anything to base the lanscaping on... I would suggest 1 of two things:

1) Gardens. Or rather, a garden maze, to match with the Mario challenge theme. The hedges would do nicely, I should think.

2) A lake, a DEEP lake, to the left of the castle, coming very close to it's walls, touching preferably. The N64, landscaping, if you've ever played, which of all the mario games seems to be one of the few that would fit. Darn complicating having such tiny lots, huh? Or, you could try the lot expander.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 1:25 AM
well, it's the huge sized lot, like 5x6, but i guess any bigger might crash the game from the start...

I was going to use a lake, but i'm trying to figure out where to put a waterfall. To the left of the castle? As for a maze, that's an idea....I'd like to incorporate that little town square in the first pic somehow too. But, where would i put it? *sigh* I guess i should have built the castle further back...

Zombie Socks
#8 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 1:57 AM
You could move the castle to the top left corner? And moving lots is terribly frustrating, isn't it? I remember glowering at the screen when I was building a medieval village and shouting "I command you to move with my MIND!" Didn't work.

And true, I had forgotten about the lot crashing business. You could try the waterfall to the left of the castle, where it was in N64 but it would wreak HAVOC with the terrain. A short waterfall might do it though...

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 10:35 PM
How would i go about moving the castle without rebuilding it?

Forum Resident
#10 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 12:05 AM
you can't, i'd just make the town a seperate lot, it'd make it easier for you.

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Zombie Socks
#11 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 12:42 AM
Well, what I do is I move it in peices. I leave the castle as is (without deleting anything) then rebuild the edge of the new castle at the place you intend to put it on the current lot. I then build the new castle until it starts running out of space and hits the old one. Then I delete the part of the old castle I recreated and now I have more space so I start the replication process all over again, delting when I run out of room. That way I don't have to go back and forth between lots comparing.

Ummm.... I hope that makes sense. I tend to blather and confuse a bit.

#12 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 2:03 AM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 18th Oct 2008 at 2:05 AM. Reason: Found the thread.
...or you could use the LotAdjuster to grow your lot on one side, then shrink it on the other.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:06 AM
WWW: i get the idea, but I'm not really sure i want to put in all that effort...

GOD: did you know the abbrev. of generaloperationsdirector spells GOD? Was that on purpose? I'm not a fan of that. It screwed up one of my lots a while back, so it's not my fav thing ever...

So, lets just assume the castle is staying where it is. (if i can't figure anything else out, I'll move it. the problem lies in the roof slopes, i didn't write them down.) Any ideas? come on people! think! I can make any items needed, just give me some ideas. I'm not on a real creative streak...

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:23 AM
Ok, I decided to move it anyway. So I should move it back and left?

#15 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:27 AM
Yes, I did. Yes, it was. You`re the first to ask. I got the idea from a SciFi short story. I wish I could remember the title/author. As for screwing up one of your lots, always back up your data first! I learned that the hard way with Sims 1.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:53 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 18th Oct 2008 at 7:40 AM.
I guess i'm just perceptive.

As for the lot, i'm gonna move it manually after my game stops crashing. I got half way through moving the damn thing and the game crashed. GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: finally got it moved. Here's the new pic:

Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 8:54 AM
Ooh, that looks nice! It gives room for landscaping, a path, a small lake and anything you think is suitable.
Test Subject
#18 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:32 PM
The castle wall color in the pictures you provided in post #5 is VERY gray for the N64
and a lightish gray in the other pics. It also looks like there's an arched bridge over
the lake from the front of the castle to the opposite shore. That's fairly easily made.
In the first picture in post #5 it seems like the lake is only touching the front of the
castle, not the sides--you can see where the land slopes downwards on the right side
to the lake.

Before you use LotAdjuster, just package your project so if anything messes up you
can go back to your original, and no harm done.

As for lot size, yeah, lol, on older computers the larger and more complex a structure is
the more it slows down your computer. But if you have a really good CPU and graphics
card, and the newer, faster SATA II hard drives (and plenty of memory, of course), it
shouldn't slow things down much if at all.

It's looking really good so far!

publicsim99

'I never met a Sim I didn't like.'
Zombie Socks
#19 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:57 PM
I still like the idea of a maze. But that's just me. Hmmmm.... Maybe gardens or a lake or a giant pit of boiling lava to give it that 'homey' feel. Depends, what look are you going for? Regular Peach castle or Mario world challenge deathtrap or something inbetween?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 10:49 PM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 18th Oct 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Well, since i already moved it, lotadjuster isn't needed. :P

i have an arched bridge, but it's hard to see from a front-on angle. I'll post a side view pic when I get my game started up. I've had experience with arched bridges, as all of my previous castles have them. As for the lake, it touches the side of the castle , up to the back right turret. If you look carefully, you can see that the right shore loops back to the back turret, and there's a fence running along the edge. there wouldn't be a fence there if it touched the castle side....and i also own the game, so I checked. :D

Here's a map I whipped up:

WWW, you are crazy. A boiling pit of lava! what a great idea. It'd be better if there wasn't a bridge though. That way he'd have to find the cannon and get on the roof to make it inside.

Zombie Socks
#21 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 11:11 PM
Ahhhh.... I have many fond memories of those cannons. Most of those memories include instant death, but alas, I am not that good at aiming. But nah, the curved bridge is AWESOME. I think it's one of the few things every mario game has included. Nice map, too. I can't wait till V1ND1CARE comes out with her basement tutorial. That would make the lake/giant pond thing so much easier.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 11:34 PM
i already know how to make a basement. But how would that help with the lake....?

Edit: Some smaller screens that could be used somehow.

edit(again): I already made those streetlamps seen in the shots, so those could be used as well.

Zombie Socks
#23 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 11:46 PM
It's one without the downward curve, meaning there's a perfect drop on the edge. It could probably be used for lakes but I guess we'll never know until the tutorial comes out... Oh well. What about building that circular area. (Urgh, I forgot what it's called!) The one in the last screenshots, with that rock trail leading up to the castle bridge?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 11:58 PM
that would be helpful. Since there's a perfect drop in mario world, they don't have hills. could be used for more than basements. Hmmm...

I think it's called a courtyard, but i'm not really sure. Town circle?

here's what i'm thinking:

Make a hill on the right side, which the waterfall falls from, out of some warp-pipe thing, on the left side of the trail leading through a little toad town.

Forum Resident
#25 Old 19th Oct 2008 at 12:17 AM
looks awesome, let's just hope there's enough room.
oh, what ever happened to thoss warp pipe stairs and objects you were working on, they looked awesome, those could help out the castle a ton!

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 191