Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 2:07 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 crashing on startup, before even opening.
I got a new computer for my birthday this week, but it won't load The Sims 2 at all. At most, if I go through Origin, I get a blue screen. Every time I open it, I get a crash error that says "This application has crashed. This application will now terminate." with no error codes or any other details.

I've attached the config-log. My computer has an Intel Core i7 processor, running on the 64-bit OS.

Please let me know if you need any more information about my computer set-up and specs.

We've added the graphics card to the database and updated the graphics rules with the correct resolution and graphics card, we've run the application in several compatability modes (Vista, Windows 8, etc), run it as administrator, run through Origin, run from a desktop shortcut, run from a downloaded version of the game that doesn't go through Origin. We've updated all my drivers and DirectX, but it still won't load.

If anyone has ideas on how to get it to run, I thank you very very much!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  CADYPC-config-log.txt (10.2 KB, 102 downloads)

"I regect your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage - Mythbusters
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
#2 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 4:49 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 26th Jan 2018 at 5:33 AM.
I notice the config log says you have 32 texture memory. You need the NVidia texture fix files from leefish. Or change the value yourself in graphics rules sgr.

Windows search, type dxdiag. Run dxdiag. Save all info to your desktop. Upload dxdiag.txt here.

In the dxdiag file, look for display drivers, then look for dedicated memory. Use that number instead of 32 in your graphics rules sgr when setting texture memory.

Next, again in your graphics rules sgr, let the graphics driver manage its own memory.

Make sure you put your updated sgr file in both Config and CSConfig

Try running the game again. Even if it still crashes, you will have a new config log. Please post the new config log.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:01 AM
Thank you for the response! This is the third place I've asked and the first response I've gotten, haha.
I did as you instructed and changed all of those. The game still didn't load, so here's the most up-to-date config log.

I also noticed that each time I try to open the game, it creates a file titled "Sims2Exception" with the date and time. I've also uploaded that in case it can be of any use.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  CADYPC-config-log.txt (10.2 KB, 36 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2018.01.25 21.50.18.txt (12.9 KB, 49 downloads)

Not actually evil.
#4 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:43 AM
Thank you, @moriko00 - I will take a look at the config log. Can I bother you to upload one more file, please? The dxdiag.txt file may be helfpul.
Glad you thought of the exception file too. I can't read Sims crash logs well but other may be able to.

-------------------------------------

Access violation to me sounds like your Sims game is trying to read memory it isn't allowed to.
I'm a computer scientist but I'm also hella sleepy so someone double check me on that.
Were you seeing ACCESS VIOLATION near the top of your earlier crash logs too or is this a new/different error code since the change to your sgr file?
I think there are some fixes for this but I'm too sleepy to remember them right now...

I see your texture memory is now 8079 mb instead of 32 mb which is much more reasonable for your 1080 card.
I need some sleep before thinking more about this but I hope others may take a look here too.

Can't remember, did you already post on leefish? Did I respond to you on leefish? If not, feel free to poke me there.
There may be several threads on leefish that you may want to follow in case something helpful for you shows up.
And here on MTS too, several active threads, some of which may be similar so worth following.

Not actually evil.
#5 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:57 AM
two more questions

1) Could you please post a dxdiag.txt file? Windows search, type dxdiag, then click the blue circle with the X to run dxdiag, then press the Save All Information button and upload dxdiag.txt
[edit] gah, I already asked this, so sleepy I forgot - zzzzzzzzzzzzz

2) When you updated, the graphics driver, did you do it through Windows or through GeForce Experience? Both are problematic. In Windows 10, after update 1709, Windows can muck up driver installs and GeForce Experience can hang, it did for me. Download your driver yourself from nvidia.com, turn OFF Windows automatic driver updates, get DDU from guru3d and use it to uninstall the graphics driver and reboot, then manually install the driver you downloaded earlier, make sure you do custom install, clean install. That helped me a lot when I did it.
(video instructions)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 7:13 AM
Here is the dxdiag file, it's too large to upload so I archived it.

According to my husband, we already did the second thing you suggested, but I can give it another try tomorrow.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DxDiag.rar (12.8 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 7:25 AM
Just wanted to say that COEG is right about the access violation - which brings up a good question: have you already put custom content in your game? Which leads to another question - if so, have you tried to load your game without it? If the answer to that question is no, remove your The Sims 2 folder from My Documents (or just rename it) and try to load your game then.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 4:59 PM
Error 0xc0000005 Access Violation is a Windows error. I found this, a few things you could try to get it to work. Though I would skip number 2 if you don't know what you are doing, and look for a program online that will do it for you. I suggest you make a restore point before allowing any program to run just in case.

https://dowser.org/error-0xc0000005...n-windows-7-10/

Maybe something here will help.
Not actually evil.
#9 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
Error 0xc0000005 Access Violation is a Windows error. I found this, a few things you could try to get it to work. Though I would skip number 2 if you don't know what you are doing, and look for a program online that will do it for you. I suggest you make a restore point before allowing any program to run just in case.

https://dowser.org/error-0xc0000005...n-windows-7-10/

Thank you, Jules! Look, look, step 3, look! Says to *disable* data execution prevention, not enable. This explains why in this thread you're supposed to *exempt* Sims 2 from DEP. Although I would be really hesitant to, unless I'm sure DEP is finding false positives and Sims is really NOT trying to execute data. Trying to execute data is a Very Bad Thing. Maybe I need to try DEP with Sims, haven't yet.

---------------------

What @mustluvcats said about cc. Definitely get the game work work without cc first, then add it bit by bit later.

*waves to mustluvcats* So glad you and others are still around! So nice to dip my toe back in and find folks still here. Makes all the headache worth it.

Not actually evil.
#10 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 10:01 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 26th Jan 2018 at 11:09 PM.
Windows 10 DEP exemption for Sims 2

[edit] Please note, Sims 2 is already exempt from Data Execution Prevention when DEP is set to 'essential only' because Sims is not essential.
Origin 64 bit is ALWAYS DEP'd on a Windows 10 64 bit, so no change for Origin either. All this changes is whether non-essential stuff that isn't Sims gets DEP'd.
DEP is Data Execution Prevention. Your programs should never execute data, malware does that. Only turn off DEP for stuff if you think DEP is giving false positives. Don't exempt noCD exes from DEP since they could be malware infected. But they're probably not being checked anyway if not essential. Some simmers reported that turning on DEP for stuff and exempting Sims helped them but it didn't help me. [end edit]

* search box, advanced system settings
* advanced tab in the system properties dialog
* performace section, settings button
* add Sims2EP9.exe from Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/.../Fun With Pets/SP9/TSBin
* click Apply, then close the dialogs
* REBOOT

I would NOT do DEP exemption for any noCD version of Sims, no matter how trusted or where you got it. If it does have hidden malware, turning off DEP for it is super risky. I will try exempting Origin UC from DEP, with and without the 4gb patch, and see if it helps me.

Not actually evil.
#11 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 10:54 PM
Nevermind about DEP. I'm sleep deprived. So enabling DEP for EVERYTHING except Sims 2 makes Sims 2 UC running from Origin crash while loading a neighborhood without even an error message, just poof, window gone. Someone else wrote about this in another thread, can't remember where. Maybe something Sims 2 needed to run now has DEP enabled and doesn't work well with DEP enabled. Sims 2 is not essential so would not have been DEP'd when you select 'essential only'. Origin is 64 bit so is always DEP'd. So something else that was not essential is now DEP'd and breaking? I'm going to set DEP back to 'essential only'. *sigh* Maybe I should not test while tired?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 2:22 AM
Thanks for all the help, guys. My husband is the computer whiz here, so he took a look at this while I was at work this afternoon and tried everything. Apparently nothing he tried worked from what was suggested here (though I can't say for sure which steps he took), however he did finally revert the computer to a previous version of windows and now it works.