Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 10:27 PM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 24th Aug 2019 at 2:52 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Learning Experience
I really liked the looks of this dorm: http://www.modthesims.info/d/63664/...trangetown.html

But when I installed and test-played it, it was effectively unusable. The biggest problem was that there was no access to the third floor whatsoever There was also an annoying shortage of potties, and the first-floor bathrooms were poorly laid out and wasted a lot of space. One could work with that, but not with the no-access problem.

I wound up repurposing one second-floor and one third-floor bedroom, the second-floor one as a unisex bathroom and the other as an entranceway to the third floor. It took building a narrow terrace around the side and back of the second floor, running a bridge section from the top of the band/exercise building, and installing an outside staircase (those things are very finicky as to where they can be put) and doorway. It's rather a weird way to get to the third floor, but at least it's now reachable.

I also overhauled the first-floor bathroom section so that it made more sense and gave everybody more potties (two stalls each instead of one standalone each - why would anyone put open potties in a room with lots of full-length windows?)

Would like to include pictures, but I'm not sure what the current procedure is.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 11:19 PM
Hi, Sims2Maven.

It doesn't sound like the Help section was the right forum for you to place this thread---at least, it's puzzling that you've already marked it Solved without anyone ever commenting. That seems to indicate that you aren't asking for help.

The issues that you mention about the downloaded lot are definitely valid ones to talk about, but they were already mentioned by an earlier commenter in the download's thread---the same download thread where you also already posted your disappointment with the lot's issues.

Still, if your goal is to give more detail to the lot's other potential downloaders about the issues that had to be fixed (since the creator has not been active in some time), why not edit your post in the lot's download thread to specify more about what you had to do to it? Otherwise, it looks a bit like you are creating a new thread just to slam a download for its problems, and that's not an approach that MTS encourages. Especially when the lot was posted almost 15 years ago...and it was the creator's only TS2 lot shared ever, one which they acknowledged was their very first dorm.

If you just want to post pictures of your new version of the dorm, you could try posting in some picture threads, such as these two.

To post pictures in a thread, you can Attach Files directly in the "Go Advanced" view when making a new post. Alternatively, you can provide links to an off-site image service, like Imgur.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 11:21 PM
That is an extremely old lot from 2005, so that there means you would want to check it out in a throwaway hood first. Back then we didn't have much information as we do now.
As to pictures go advanced> browse to picture>upload file.

Ninja'd by @natboopsie that post was not there!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 1:51 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 24th Aug 2019 at 2:46 AM.
If this comment (and its followups) need to be put somewhere else, go ahead and put it there. I guess I was just bragging.

As far as throwaway neighborhoods, I'm still working on figuring out how to do that - especially throwaway Uni subhoods. It hasn't been necessary, until now.

Attaching photos doesn't work the way I want it to - they don't show up.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 2:08 AM
If you delete a uni hood all those sims will be tossed into the other one, don't delete those unless it's attached to a throw away main hood.
A throw-away hood simply means click and make a new custom hood from one of the templates, test cc or suspect lots in there (example a very old 2005 lot) Either keep the hood for testing or just delete it.

This is the help section, posting here means you want help with a problem.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If you delete a uni hood all those sims will be tossed into the other one, don't delete those unless it's attached to a throw away main hood.

That's what I thought. Dorms HAVE to be placed in a Uni hood, so that means figuring out not only throwaway hood, but throwaway subhood too. Haven't got that far yet.

Can't figure out how to get the pix to appear in my post, and there is no option to "Show Attachments".

Moved the thread to "Custom Content" and retitled it "Learning Experience", because I'm learning a lot just from these exchanges.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 3:50 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 24th Aug 2019 at 6:18 AM.
Click 'Go advanced' scroll down. You will see attach files. There are two ways to upload pictures there. if I have more than one I always use Flash uploader further down. If it's just one picture you can click one of the browse buttons. (zip or rar shows first then the image ones) So browse to your photo, click your photo, then scroll down to Upload files and click that.
The Flash (Edit: I called it old style, it's actually Flash) uploader is just below the Upload File button, it says 'click me' and it's blue. I prefer this.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 5:16 AM
It's only allowing me ONE screenshot no matter what I do. So I picked the one that shows a side view with the deck, stairs and new third-floor entrance door.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Moved the thread to "Custom Content" and retitled it "Learning Experience", because I'm learning a lot just from these exchanges.

Kudos, Sims2Maven, for wanting to move the thread in a constructive direction!

Jawusa's Clean and Empty Templates here make it easy to have a throwaway clean hood including a clean uni---for the uni subhoods, just install her nondefault replacement unis and then select one of those to add to the throwaway setup. (Unless you always would want clean and empty Maxis unis anyway, in which case of course you could just use her default replacements and not bother with the nondefaults.)

To attach multiple files, have you noted this line in the upload interface instructions:
"If you want to attach multiple files to your download, just refresh the page after attaching the first."

Though I'm not actually seeing any pics attached to your posts, so perhaps something more basic isn't going right? If you can see the file-selection interface, though, that's a good start!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 6:17 AM
Did you try the other uploader I mentioned above ^
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you try the other uploader I mentioned above ^

That's the uploader I was using. And the pix I was trying to upload are very small, so I don't know why they would neither upload nor show. Got one up by using the Zip/Rar button, but no joy with multiples - there is obviously some trick to it.
Alchemist
#12 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
That's the uploader I was using. And the pix I was trying to upload are very small, so I don't know why they would neither upload nor show. Got one up by using the Zip/Rar button, but no joy with multiples - there is obviously some trick to it.

This may be too simple, but after you attach the files, you have to scroll all the way down and click Upload files.

As for throwaway/test hoods, it's very simple, nothing to figure out. You start a new hood (I call it "test") then you attach a uni to it, that's it. Now you have a hood you don't care about to test things in. When you are done, you can just delete the whole thing.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
This may be too simple, but after you attach the files, you have to scroll all the way down and click Upload files.

I did. They didn't.