Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Golyhawhaw : 16th Aug 2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: SOLVED

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED]Sims 2/Bodyshop unusually long launch times. Filling out RAM
My OS: Windows 10 Professional 1903
Processor: Ryzen 1700 3.0ghz
RAM: 32GB
Graphics Card: AMD RX Vega 64, 8192MB Vram, Driver version 19.8.1(latest as of this post)

Whenever I launch The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and Bodyshop, they take so long to launch(around 5 minutes). There is a process in the task manager, however sims/bodyshop does not launch until far later. I never used to have this problem. It normally launches immediately. While launching, I noticed that my RAM was rapidly being occupied to the point of it being full.

The ram would fill up with cached memory until the sims 2 finally finishes loading and the windows + intro pop up. If I force close the process(Sims2EP9.EXE and TS2Bodyshop.exe) while it's hogging my memory, the memory goes back to its normal state.

After waiting, the game plays normally and is not slow at all.

Things I've tried:
Reinstalling The Sims
Moving The Sims directory
Updating, uninstalling, reinstalling graphics drivers
Using graphics rules maker to make my gpu compatible
Restarting my computer
4GB Patch
Removing CC
Various Compatability mode settings, administrator, windows xp, vista, 7 etc..

I currently have a fresh my documents folder.

Any recommendations would be helpful.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 12:19 AM
I think the high use to sudden drop is pretty common (My CD and UC version have both done this, and I think both Bodyshop versions also do it), though using the full 32 GB does look a bit weird.

5 minutes from clicking the button to the launch screen popping up on the screen is a bit long. I've had it happen a few times, though usually not that long (maybe a minute or two at the most). A 5 minute wait (longer if I have a lot of CC) is pretty common with my Bodyshop, depending on whether I have a lot of CC it needs to load, and/or whether I've opened it before in that startup-to-shutdown runtime of my computer. The second loading is usually much faster.

With Windows 10 you may want to try the Memory Allocation Fix shown here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
It's supposed to empty the standby memory (which may be your problem - Win10 seems to have some really bad memory handling for certain tasks). Doesn't hurt to try it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I think the high use to sudden drop is pretty common (My CD and UC version have both done this, and I think both Bodyshop versions also do it), though using the full 32 GB does look a bit weird.

5 minutes from clicking the button to the launch screen popping up on the screen is a bit long. I've had it happen a few times, though usually not that long (maybe a minute or two at the most). A 5 minute wait (longer if I have a lot of CC) is pretty common with my Bodyshop, depending on whether I have a lot of CC it needs to load, and/or whether I've opened it before in that startup-to-shutdown runtime of my computer. The second loading is usually much faster.

With Windows 10 you may want to try the Memory Allocation Fix shown here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
It's supposed to empty the standby memory (which may be your problem - Win10 seems to have some really bad memory handling for certain tasks). Doesn't hurt to try it.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly none of these steps fixed my problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 2:29 AM

The problem doesn't seem to be standby memory but it's the modified memory
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 4:15 AM
Have you done memory allocation? Since you are showing that I am guessing you are, but you didn't say you had set it to clear. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 12:11 PM
I think the memory allocation fix only works for standby, not modified/cached.
Have you checked if anything else is using large amounts of memory on your computer while TS2 is running? The video mentions a program that can help figuring out this, and I think it may show cached memory too.

Also, you do NOT want to use compability mode or run as admin when you are using the 4gb fix, as they can make the patch not work properly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 1:13 PM
I think the memory allocation fix only works for standby, not modified/cached.
Have you checked if anything else is using large amounts of memory on your computer while TS2 is running? The video mentions a program that can help figuring out this, and I think it may show cached memory too.

Also, you do NOT want to use compability mode or run as admin when you are using the 4gb fix, as they can make the patch not work properly.

I've been not using compatibility mode while the 4gb patch is on. No other program is using a lot of memory.

It doesn't even show sims 2 using any high amount, however it spikes when I attempt to launch it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you done memory allocation? Since you are showing that I am guessing you are, but you didn't say you had set it to clear. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

Yeah, I've done that. It only clears the standby and my problem is the modified memory being occupied.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 1:43 PM
You have done the graphic rules in the CSConfig folder?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 2:03 PM
I get that with Bodyshop too. Sometimes it takes so long for the screen to pop up that I have to check task manager to make sure that I actually clicked it. I just figured that I had too much CC. XD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 2:12 PM
Well yeah, I have that ^ But I am not having my RAM eaten. (or I assume not) I have enough CAS CC to fill an Ezibuy catalogue though lol. 5 minutes would be a dream for me. Use to take 40 minutes on my old computer and it's about 15 now.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 2:31 PM
Well yeah, I have that ^ But I am not having my RAM eaten. (or I assume not) I have enough CAS CC to fill an Ezibuy catalogue though lol. 5 minutes would be a dream for me. Use to take 40 minutes on my old computer and it's about 15 now.

I've already done the csconfig thing. I have no CC at all in my game. Even with CC, my game launched immediately before this.

I have just reinstalled Windows and The Sims. I seem to still have the problem. Super weird.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 4:38 PM
Ju, I think Golyhawhaw mean it takes 5 minutes from clicking the icon to the TS2 launch screen pops up, not the actual loading of the game (launch screen to neighborhood/lot).

Like I said, I've had that happen too, with the memory use growing until it drops when the game pops up. I'm not sure if this still happens on Win10 (I think so, though not to this degree), but it did happen sometimes on my Win7 laptop (8 GB memory), particularly with Bodyshop.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 10:25 PM
So, an update. I decided to reinstall Windows again. However I installed an older version of Windows(1809) and that has fixed my problems! Instant launching, smooth sailing. Thanks for everyone's help. Gonna aply the 4GB patch to make sure my game is stable too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 1:00 AM
Ju, I think Golyhawhaw mean it takes 5 minutes from clicking the icon to the TS2 launch screen pops up, not the actual loading of the game (launch screen to neighborhood/lot).

Like I said, I've had that happen too, with the memory use growing until it drops when the game pops up. I'm not sure if this still happens on Win10 (I think so, though not to this degree), but it did happen sometimes on my Win7 laptop (8 GB memory), particularly with Bodyshop.

Don't most of us have that? I think back on my old machine that part could take a good 10 minutes, but I knew it was working, just had to look in task manager.

The OP has no CC so that can't be it though. I think cc free my Body Shop pops up in less than a minute.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 1:07 AM
Don't most of us have that? I think back on my old machine that part could take a good 10 minutes, but I knew it was working, just had to look in task manager.

The OP has no CC so that can't be it though. I think cc free my Body Shop pops up in less than a minute.

Hmm. So I've noticed if I have no drivers, it loads normally, but if I install graphics drivers, it'll take long. I'm goingg to install multiple driver versions to see if older ones help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 1:19 AM Last edited by Golyhawhaw : 18th Aug 2019 at 6:50 AM.
I've rolled back to AMD driver 18.5.2 and things are fine. Not the best solution but it's a workaround.

UPDATE: Reverted my windows back to 1703, no problems, even while using the latest drivers.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 1:50 AM
You want to be careful with AMD drivers, they had a few that broke DirectX9 games awhile back. My issues with Radeon were so bad I ended up going back to NVIDEA.

~Call me Jo~