Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:11 AM
Default Is anyone still really peeved about the June 1st update breaking a lot of mods?
I had to get rid of half of my mods that aren't build/buy and CAS because they kept throwing about 100 Last Exception notifications and I had to spend 3 hours going through mods to find the problem. Sad thing is that some creators haven't updated their mods since a while back so I have to keep them out of my game until they are updated. Rip me until then lol
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CarryOnMyGaywardSons
I had to get rid of half of my mods that aren't build/buy and CAS because they kept throwing about 100 Last Exception notifications and I had to spend 3 hours going through mods to find the problem. Sad thing is that some creators haven't updated their mods since a while back so I have to keep them out of my game until they are updated. Rip me until then lol

All I can say is just wait till Pets comes out if you think this recent patch was bad.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:18 AM
June? No, that one was kind on me.
But I'm still peeved about July and December '16 and I have hazy memories of December '15 being just as bad.
Bottomline is I try to avoid patches as long as possible.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 3:21 AM
I do not get peeved about things that are expected. Patches have broken mods as long as sims have been around. It is par for the course. I had lots of mods in 2 (about 150 as I recall). I used maybe 20-30 for 3. And I have 13 in my game for 4. Maybe if it takes 3 hours to go through mods you are using more than you really have to have?
Theorist
#6 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I do not get peeved about things that are expected. Patches have broken mods as long as sims have been around. It is par for the course. I had lots of mods in 2 (about 150 as I recall). I used maybe 20-30 for 3. And I have 13 in my game for 4. Maybe if it takes 3 hours to go through mods you are using more than you really have to have?

How did you have so few mods for TS3!? I ended up with 225 Overrides, Game mods, and scripted objects that I definitely did not just spend 20 minutes counting. That's not even counting ANY of my Generic custom content or CAS items. And some of these were added back in the days where people recommended to merge your .packages together. so god knows how many individual mods were merged into huge inseparable, indefinable mod clusterfucks.

Sims 4 is starting to shape up similarly in terms of mod quantity. if only they would all stop breaking. D<
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 4:55 AM
Its definitely annoying. Currently trying to figure out which mod makes my sims house guests leave to JOG every time they visit. But then I've had this problem for a while now and only just realised its probably mod-related. Its absolutely annoying to have visitors take off for a jog! (And the fact that there is no list of broken mods that I can find... gahh)
dodgy builder
#8 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

I used a lot of mods in 2 as well. I ended up with a game where my characters could get severe Tourettes attack and I just couldn't get them out of it.

I have been using lots of mods for Cities Skylines as well. It's the same there. I removed all my mods for Steam before purchasing the new expansion.

I have learned a few things and I just can't understand why anyone would merge their gamechanging mods together at all. I want them easily available to be purged at any time.
Scholar
#9 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:35 PM
Wonderful irony of removing and deleting a bunch of mods /cc I dont use anymore is that my game which never crashes decides to up and crash! I guess it's time to stop putting off updating my driver.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:37 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 9th Jun 2017 at 2:34 PM.
Maybe I'm using all the wrong mods. These last two patches have only affected one of mine :/

Nevertheless, mod breakage should be expected at this point. Especially with bigger patches. It's not really EA's job to make sure their patches work with third party content. And it's not really the modders' job to keep their mods up to date. It's their choice.

Fair warning, if it's anything like TS3, the Pets patch will be catastrophic.

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 8:17 PM
It's annoying big time. That's why I never update my game until there's a pack I actually WANT to buy, which is almost never.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 9:52 PM
Didn't break any of my mods, but then again I don't have a billion of them. Even if it had it wouldn't come as any surprise...

Unless the game was designed with modding in mind, updates will break mods, that's how it's always been. Even if the game is essentially just a DIY modding platform like everything made by Bethesda, updates are still bound to do some damage. You can't just change the code and expect everything that relies on that code to keep working...
Scholar
#14 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Fair warning, if it's anything like TS3, the Pets patch will be catastrophic.

That's why I've been doing a preemptive strike on my custom content. The Pets patch for Sims 3 damn near made me pull my hair out. I assume the Sims 4 Studio team will do a rigfix when the time comes. But I've already cut my custom content usage by over half to save myself the stress later on with the plus that my game loads so fast now that I don't even have time for a bathroom break before it's done.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:06 AM
I am only unhappy if MCCC stops and the modder is a great modder who keeps it running. I am so much in appreciation of that. But so very sad that the elf ear mod is broken but apparently it has been broken long before the update and that modder has found no fix. I am starting to loose interest in this TS4. I may have to quit it. I was at first excited for vampires. But I cannot make my own fantasy with pointed eared elves. I want to remake LOTR also. My two favorite things are LOTR and old vampire movies. So discouraged right now I feel like all life is drained away. I think I will leave TS4 but not with a bad review. Just... what is the point if you cannot mod it the way you like it?
Instructor
#16 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 4:06 AM
I honestly expect this from updates; it SHOULD be expected.
Scholar
#17 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 6:05 AM
I checked my coolspear mods and he's updated quite a few that I was behind in updating myself so don't forget if you have his to check them on his page.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 12:42 PM
I didn't have any real problem with that patch but now I'm noticing a few minor UI bugs. I'm thinking I will have a few more testing to do.

As for the horrendous TS3 pet patch, I'm kinda hoping it won't be the case with TS4 because they have been slowing adding pet commands into the game code for about a year before the EP releases. I'm thinking that will make most mods ready for many pets features like furniture routing by the time the EP comes out?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 2:22 PM
Don't patches always break mods?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
I didn't have any real problem with that patch but now I'm noticing a few minor UI bugs. I'm thinking I will have a few more testing to do.

As for the horrendous TS3 pet patch, I'm kinda hoping it won't be the case with TS4 because they have been slowing adding pet commands into the game code for about a year before the EP releases. I'm thinking that will make most mods ready for many pets features like furniture routing by the time the EP comes out?

Doubtful. I know I didn't seem to read much here about it, but toddlers "technically" broke seating, because on some Maxis and Custom Content seating you can see the toddler floating slightly above the seat. Sims 4 Studio looked into it, but since it wasn't super noticeable they didn't issue a batch fix unlike what they did for bookcases and kitchen counters. Not stretching pets by a long shot, but I still expect seating and surfaces to need fixing as well as probably bathtubs like last time.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:40 AM
I didn't think about this much because as long as I've played sims it has been expected the mods break with patches so I'm kind of used to it, BUT now I think about it I am upset because many mods don't get updated. The lag simulation mod came to my mind today and I wanted it but I realized it might be outdated. If it wasn't for the patch I could still have it and I didn't have to play with the lag. And this applies to many other fun/useful mods that are no longer with us because of patches. But, like we all know, patches are needed. Especially with EA games lol
Theorist
#22 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 3:13 AM
Why be surprised? Until the final patch, it's an incomplete game. It's like buying shoes for a child who's still growing. You know it's only going to last temporarily.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 3:16 AM
Remember when I asked for TS4 CAS content based on Sailor Moon? When I started up my TS4, my Princess Serenity was rendered bald and in those coral bra and panty sets by default. It was a sign that they should have not fiddled with it.

In any case, if it can be solved with a toggle of the switch, I would be happy.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Instructor
#24 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 3:53 AM
there are risks that go hand in hand with modifying games, it is irresponsible to blame patches for these problems because it is literally impossible to compensate for what a mod might do to a game when you are guru or a developer. The modding community should maintain and update mods. And mod collectors should take patching precautions if they choose to install them. I for one mainly use mods that are updated, if the creator retires, I get rid of the mod and move on.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
there are risks that go hand in hand with modifying games, it is irresponsible to blame patches for these problems because it is literally impossible to compensate for what a mod might do to a game when you are guru or a developer. The modding community should maintain and update mods. And mod collectors should take patching precautions if they choose to install them. I for one mainly use mods that are updated, if the creator retires, I get rid of the mod and move on.

I learned in TS3 that having a lot of mods was not a good thing. I keep my mods down to few mostly Mccc and a few other mods that are kept updated, but I also understand when modders give up trying to keep there mods updated it's a lot of work to keep up.
Page 1 of 2