Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 7:16 AM Last edited by Charmful : 26th Jan 2018 at 1:12 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [Solved] Re-importing custom hood from back up
UGh I should not be doing this at night but if I don't figure it out I'm not going to get to sleep.

I was having issues with a sim so I decided to restore a neighborhood back up from last week. Here's what I did.

1. Unzipped back up named N010-1.16.18
2. Named current hood folder N010.old
3. Renamed back up hood to N010 to match it
4. Ran game
5. No hood
6. Quit game
7. Moved N010.old out of Neighborhoods folder.
8. Ran game
9. No Hood
10. Search google and MTS old threads about what I did wrong
11. Could not find answer
12. Am here. Am Tired. Are freaking out.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 1:18 PM
Hmmm, first thing I can think of to check is that everything is named correctly. Can you show a screenshot of the contents of your Neighborhoods folder, and the contents of the N010 (the backup hood) folder?
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 2:34 PM
@simsample

The names are the same but if you see anything weird please let me know

First attached image is what I backed up and unzipped to replace.
Second attached image is the old files I had in the game last night before I decided I need to back up

Also contents of actual neighborhood Folder

I have to bump off to work unfortunately so I won't be able to look up specific information until I get home but I will keep an eye on this thread today.
Screenshots

Scholar
#4 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 2:46 PM
The path to your neighbourhoods doesn't look right unless you changed the location of your documents. They should be in 'Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2' not 'Programs\EA Games\The Sims 2'
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 3:23 PM
Why is there a N010 folder inside the N010 folder? What's contained in that?
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Charmful : 25th Jan 2018 at 4:43 PM.
Hi Chris, thanks for taking a look - Programs (F) is my second drive where the files live. My (C) drive Documents has a symbolic link set up to the EA Games folder so it reads it like it was Documents>EA Games>Sims 2> Neighborhoods when I launch it. I got that set up in April 2017 when my computer was re-built with mirrored drives. It's been playing just fine ever since. The issue only happened last night when I tried to restore N010 from back up.

@simsample - So, sometime in the past at least before 2016, I must have copied my neighborhood file into my neighborhood - N010>N010 contains a copy of the neighborhood from some point in time but as far as I know, it doesn't hurt my game, I don't think it even recognizes or reads it. I can probably delete it and it won't make a difference.

I am wondering, would the order of operation I went about this affect it not showing? Or how I had left my N010.old folder in the Neighborhood folder and ran the game? I didn't delete N010 and replace it. I just renamed the old one and then renamed the zip to N010, thinking it would be recognized and then launched the game.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 4:47 PM
Ah, okay, Next question then- do the lots and characters files in the backup match what you see in the old copy?

All of the neighborhood package files look okay- as in their sizes are comparable to the old copy. Another test to try is- do your other backups work? If they don't then maybe there's some reason the game isn't picking these files up. Would be interesting to see how the properties of the unzipped backups compare to the original.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 4:50 PM
If you keep the old renamed one in and place the same new name hood in you must delete the "NeighborhoodManager.package" and restart your game or it seems to me that is the case in my game.

And it would be a good idea to delete the cache files also.

It would be better to remove same name and same number old hoods out on the folder and placed on the desktop instead of keeping them in.

You can also zip up the old file and leave the zip in and delete the old folder.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 1:07 AM
Here's what I did:

1. Delete neighborhood manager per @marka93 (THANK YOU, MARKA!)
2. Moved the N010.Old folder someplace else
3. Deleted that extra N010 within the N010 neighborhood folder
4. Left cache files in because I was too anxious and forgot to delete them
5. Isla Del Kashmire is Back in business!

Thank you for all who took time to look at my issue, it seems even after 10 + years I'm still doing newb things. Case closed. Now I am gonna go back and try to see if I can fix that one sim I had issue with earlier this week...

TLDR for future people spelunking the web for this issue: If you restore 1 neighborhood from back up and keep the old custom hood folder folder but renamed in the Main Neighborhood folder, make sure to delete the neighborhood manager or else it won't read your custom hoods.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:06 PM
Hooray!

Well done @marka93 -That was a great tip!