Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 1:42 PM
Just wanted to add a quick thank you! I was devastated when I couldn't install my Sims 2 games on my new PC, but when following this I didn't have any struggle whatsoever. It runs perfectly as well <3
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 10:05 PM
the game works, but an annoying graphic bug hinders. So does not work for me.

the bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezJF_hkrpk
Test Subject
#128 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 2:37 AM
thanks this tutorial works for me.
Test Subject
#129 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 7:10 AM
HI there, I'm having problems with just getting the installer to open properly... I Don't know what to do about that, since I read through this thread and no one else had this problem. Every time I try to run the launcher for double deluxe it tells me "this program has not installed correctly" and prompts me to run it in compatibility mode, and I've tried every single option there at this point. I do have intel graphics, but I would think the launcher would at least RUN. Could anyone offer some insight on this?

(sorry if things are hard to understand or misspelled, it's 2 am and I'm exhausted)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#130 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 12:08 PM
Skip the launcher - it's useless anyway. Apply the appropriate compatibility settings directly to the Sims 2xxx.exe and launch that.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#131 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 9:21 PM
Hello,

Sims 2 was out then XP was new so It's not made for Windows 7 or Windows 8. You have to run it in COMPATIBILITY MODE for Windows 8.x

You need to be in 'desktop' mode
Right click on the Sims 2 icon.
Select properties.
Click the Compatibility tab.
In the compatibility mode section, put a check mark in Run this program in compatibility mode for: and then use the drop down box to select Windows XP (Service Pack 3.)
Click Apply/ok and close the window.

Now see if it will open.

Good luck
Test Subject
#132 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 3:36 AM
thank you for posting the tutorial!

unfortunatly, ive installed seasons (i own base, university, nightlife and seasons) and im getting the disc error as well... aka the "Please ensure The Sims 2 Seasons disc is in the drive, select ok and restart the application" error

ill post my specs as well if that helps any:
toshiba satellite c855d
windows 8 64-bit
amd e-300 apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics, 1300mhz, 2 core(s), 2 logical processor(s)
2048mb ram
directx 11

sorry if i missed something that was needed
i have a laptop by the way, i hope a solution will be found soon!
Test Subject
#133 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 7:54 PM
Hello. Thank you for this tutorial, it works perfectly for me, i have been able to install all my extensions. However I still can not play to the sims: the game is launching fine, i can select my district and make changes there, but when i choose a family, the loading screen crashes and i get a fatal error message. Does anybody have an idea than can solve my problem ? I've got windows 8 on my PC and i haven't download any additional content. Thanks.
Forum Resident
#134 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 3:30 AM
I have some questions:
1. Is there a limit on the amount of custom content you can have with Windows 8?
2. Does it mess up your installation if you install clean templates?
3. How would you run the game in windowed mode on Windows 8? Would it be the same process as XP?
4. Has Windows 8.1 affected the success of running TS2 on Windows 8?

Sorry to bother you guys, but XP is about to lose support, and with the prices of windows 7, I may have to take the plunge into Windows 8.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 8:42 PM Last edited by onsenmark : 24th Mar 2014 at 9:24 PM.
I'm currently trying to install TS2 on my Win8.1 computer, and have followed the directions. I'm currently attempting to install Family Fun Stuff, and it just hangs at the little "please wait" screen.

Should I even bother trying to continue installing TS2 at this point, because this is one of my favorite stuff packs, and I can't bear to be without it.

edit: it SEEMS to have installed, as it's listed under the add/remove programs window, or whatever it's called in 8.1 But it does seem to be happening to me with everything after FFS, with the exception of Pets. The seeming hanging, I mean.
Test Subject
#136 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aquarius2
I feel so lucky that I was able to install and run Sims 2 and all the EPs on my windows 8 laptop without problem.. I never had to run in compatibility mode or anything, although I did make sure to install them all in chronological order. Hm. I wonder what causes the problems in some windows 8 machines but not in others?

care to share how you managed that? D: I keep crashing everytime as the creater of this post.

onsenmark: It will work, if its from disk, i would try @ 98 or 99% eject the disc, wash it a bit w/ a cloth and put it back in, it will take some time but will install, i experianced this myself and will work.
Test Subject
#137 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 9:10 AM
Thank You!
Test Subject
#138 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 4:27 PM
It was working without crashing but I had this bug problem exactly like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezJF_hkrpk
Test Subject
#139 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 10:47 PM
Default ???
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

... my copy of nightlife doesnt work
the update fails
Test Subject
#140 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 12:22 AM
Default ????
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

I also installed sims 2 with ease. run installer, swap the disks, play
I have a Intel HD Graphics card too so i don't know how i got lucky
Test Subject
#141 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:23 PM
Ok, I've followed the instructions to the letter - the problem is when I run the installer, once it's finished, it automatically tries to update, which of course makes it crash, which makes it uninstall itself again. I've tried to run the patch with grumpy loader while it tries to update or while it's giving me the 'please insert the sims 2 disk 4' message box, but grumpy tells me 'please make sure the sims 2 is not running'. how the heck do I get around this?
Space Pony
#142 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 9:37 PM
I have a couple questions... Firstly, is there another place to download the patches? I can't download the ones on the wiki, the download keeps failing...

Secondly, I'm running Windows 7... Would I still follow the same steps in this guide to get TS2 and its expansions running or do I follow other steps?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#143 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 10:49 PM
You don't need to follow any special steps to install on Windows 7.

The first page of google results for "sims 2 patch" are all various places you can download the patches from, take your pick.

Test Subject
#144 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 4:07 AM
I tried following the install instructions too in order with grumpy loader for the patches (I sometimes load to a black screen and I can't play the game with any Custom Content like I used to on my very old computer). My problem is when installing in compatibility mode for XP SP2 the option isn't listed I can run with Vista SP2 or XP SP3 which I read not to do in the instructions so I tried Vista SP2 before uninstalling the game by loading it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2 and again it loaded to a black screen so I had to restart the computer. So far I followed all the other instructions when installing just not in compatibility mode. I loaded it once real quick for ten minutes to check and it seems fine so far I created a sim and a house. NOT gonna try CC til someone in charge fixes things this is stupid to go through this much trouble. I'll probably have to hope the next sims sequel 4 or 5 whatever is modeled after Sims 2 but actually works on old AND new windows.
Test Subject
#145 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 5:33 AM
Its a great tutorial only i have the majority of my copies digital on origin, so how can I sort mine?I have put on the launcher so it runs in compatibility mode but it crashes either when loading the family or part way through playing
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#146 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 7:10 PM
Did you also apply the compatibility settings to the actual game exe, e.g. Sims2EP9.exe (if your latest EP is M&G)?

Test Subject
#147 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 7:33 PM
where would i be able to check that i did it?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#148 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 9:00 PM
Right-click the exe, open the Properties window, and see if the settings are correct.

Test Subject
#149 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 9:03 PM
i opened up the short cut and it is set to run in windows xp service pack 2
Test Subject
#150 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 9:17 PM
just tried playing it and it came up that ep8 has stopped working
Page 6 of 13