Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 12:20 AM
Can someone please help me? I'm getting incredibly frustrated. I've tried everything in this thread and more: every compatibility, used patches, installing in order, put it in reduced color mode...
I'm attempting to install all my TS2 games on my laptop running Windows 8. I've gotten up to Seasons, and everything seems to load smoothly until I try to add a sim to a family in CAS, then the program terminates. I have all my old families and houses on a flash drive ready to be put on this computer, but the games themselves won't work. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 7th Jan 2014 at 11:31 PM
My (adult) daughter and I just bought new computers, they came with Windows 8, and following the instructions here, we finally got Sims 2 installed on both computers (we each own our own copies of the game, not sharing) We want to thank those who shared this information with us since we now have our favorite older game to play again. Two things we had and have issues with though. . . Several of the stuff packs, on CD were picked up as the ransom virus by our AV program (Norton 360). I resolved this by disabling Nortons for about an hour while I finished installing, then reactivated it when I finished. Then I ran the scan to make sure everything was okay. One issue with the game is AV programs tend to mistake it for a virus!
The other issue we both continue to have is that we only have the 800 x 600 graphic setting. I found instructions once for fixing that, but can't figure out what in the world it is talking about. Can someone point me in the right direction for that issue?
Site Helper
#103 Old 7th Jan 2014 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abbyolivia96
I'm attempting to install all my TS2 games on my laptop running Windows 8. I've gotten up to Seasons, and everything seems to load smoothly until I try to add a sim to a family in CAS, then the program terminates.
Are you sure that your computer is strong enough to play the game? My suggestion is that you give us your Game Help:System Specswiki.
Test Subject
#104 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 4:08 PM
Default Game doesn’t run after installation!!
Hi there,
I bought the Sims 2 Deluxe recently and downloaded it on my laptop (windows 8) as you instructed. The downloaded went smoothly, no problems what so ever. However, after the installation was done, I double click on the desktop shortcut but the game doesn’t run!! It looks like it is about to open, but then nothing happens at all. Do you have any recommendations please? I love this game; I would hate not to be able to play it.

I don’t know if you need to know this, but my processor is Intel(R) Core i7 , and Radeon (Graphics).

Many thanks

Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!
Site Helper
#105 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by s_s_s_Sims
I bought the Sims 2 Deluxe recently and downloaded it on my laptop (windows 8) as you instructed. The downloaded went smoothly, no problems what so ever. However, after the installation was done, I double click on the desktop shortcut but the game doesn’t run!! It looks like it is about to open, but then nothing happens at all. Do you have any recommendations please? I love this game; I would hate not to be able to play it.
First, there's no need to quote the entire first post.

Secondly, the post above yours tells you how to get us your system specs. Just follow it and post your specs so that we can look at them.
Test Subject
#106 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 7:19 PM Last edited by krystal09 : 8th Jan 2014 at 7:42 PM.
Are we supposed to download the patches before we install the games? Because I tried to do that and I got an error message saying "The Sims 2 is not installed blah blah blah"...I have not been able to install the Sims 2 at all. It only goes up to 23% and then stops. It's funny because I bought a new computer thinking the Sims 2 would run super fast on it, but nope. Can't even install it on this computer.

Edit: You know what, I'm not even going to bother. I'm a dummy when it comes to this type of stuff. I don't want to screw up my computer. I'll just forget about the Sims 2 and play the Sims 3...for now.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#107 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 7:38 PM
You can download the patches whenever you like, but you can't install a patch for an EP before you've installed the EP, no .

Did you make sure to run the installer in compatibility mode?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#108 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You can download the patches whenever you like, but you can't install a patch for an EP before you've installed the EP, no .

Did you make sure to run the installer in compatibility mode?

Oh haha. I figured. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to work this computer yet . It's nothing like my old one. I'm just going to move on to the Sims 3. I've had it for 4 years and I have not been able to play it until now. I might as well take advantage of it. Thank you for your help anyway !
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 11:40 PM
I googled on how to make The Sims 2 work on Win8 and I found this:

http://ts2.yuku.com/topic/5049#.UsCwPPRDu8l

All they did was change the compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 2 but when I do that, my game won't open.

Please help!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#110 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 12:57 AM
Yes, doing that isn't sufficient. You need to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

Test Subject
#111 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 9:11 PM
Hello, I have windows 8 and I am also trying to follow the steps posted. For some reason I cannot download grumpy loader.
'This Message pops up: No cookies found!

No valid MTS login could be found. Please note that you must be logged into MTS to use this server.

Reasons for this not working are:
•If you are logged in, then make sure you aren't using any kind of cookie blocker, like Norton Internet Security.
•Try allowing "modthesims.info" in your security software for cookies.
•MAKE SURE you have ticked the "Remember Me" option when logging in. If you do not, then you will not be able to download.

Generated by getfile.php
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#112 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 9:54 PM
So what happened when you followed the instructions you just pasted?

Test Subject
#113 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 1:27 AM
I only registered to download that Grumpy Loader software. It was the only thing that helped me and I'm forever grateful. Much thanks and I hope many people with the same problem stumble into this for a sure solution.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 1:42 AM Last edited by potato.head : 16th Jan 2014 at 2:50 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yes, doing that isn't sufficient. You need to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

I have. My Seasons game eventually opened when I changed it to Vista SP2 but it crashes when I open CAS.

Edit: I have an Intel Graphics Card which makes me want to throw this computer in the closet and just get an old computer from eBay. I will test this out on my dad's computer but he has a Windows 7. Worth a try.

Edit: I'm back and it seems that it work fine on Windows 7 (with NVIDIA graphics card). I'm really jealous but not that jealous because it kinda runs slow. I'm guessing it's because of all of the documents for work in there.
Test Subject
#115 Old 16th Jan 2014 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simhummingbird
My (adult) daughter and I just bought new computers, they came with Windows 8, and following the instructions here, we finally got Sims 2 installed on both computers ...

The other issue we both continue to have is that we only have the 800 x 600 graphic setting. I found instructions once for fixing that, but can't figure out what in the world it is talking about. Can someone point me in the right direction for that issue?

I resolved this issue using the instructions here. Be sure to back up the original files just in case you make a mistake. Once you change the things he listed there you should have no problem. One thing to note is that you need to make sure not to go over the maximum graphics settings for your computer as his example is high. It worked like a charm for me.

I think many will find that they have to do this after getting the game to run on windows 8.

Sims by Dasi:

Patrick Swayze

Sabrina

From Bones: Emily Deschanel
Test Subject
#116 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 9:04 PM
Thank you so much, I did all of this and have been playing for 2 days, so far so good. No CRASHES! No Lag!
Test Subject
#117 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wreckstarz
Thank you so much, I did all of this and have been playing for 2 days, so far so good. No CRASHES! No Lag!
Actually it just crashed. After I thought it was solved, first crash in 2 days... Probably because I was playing for like 9 hours.... at least it didn't crash as often.
Test Subject
#118 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 6:19 PM
Going to give this a try hope it works.
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 9:38 PM
Default Right On
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
This may be too simplistic, but have you deleted your cache files? Documents -> EA Games -> The Sims 2, there should be a Groups.cache and Accessory.cache that needs to be deleted every once in a while.

Having finally done the impossible, all the way through Bon Voyage, the last problem was cc. Although the game itself references custom content in at least 2 areas (which in my case) noted cc was turned on, in game it was another matter.
Your suggestion cleared the last hurdle, who'd have thunk??? Of course it makes sense, but it is one easily overlooked while sitting at the computer with a brand new game installed.

I hope you get this message. You saved me running all over the net yet again in search of the answer. But what you really did with the stroke of your keys was likely helping many people not just myself. There are still people desperately trying to install Sims 2 on Windows 8.
I just checked Windows website and WINDOWS mods say it can't be done.
It might crash for me w. in an hour's play and make us all look stupid, but I think it can be done, and I had given up a long time ago.
Test Subject
#120 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 11:51 AM Last edited by Betsy Marie D'Sastre : 23rd Jan 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Hey guys , I've been following you for a long time now, but I've never commented since my English is not very good. First thing I want to do is thank you all for the downloads , advice , help, and all the wonderful things that you do for people like me . You are just great!

I have been a simmer since the day sims 1 came out, but just a year ago I discovered modthesims and a good number of the wonderful LiveJournals and tumblr that many of you have . It was then when I found out that I was missing a lot of things I could do in The Sims 2, I would never had thought that mods might exist, or that I had other options besides using Maxis items... I am so thankful for all of that!

The thing is I used to have an old laptop with windows 7 and, of course, all expansions packs and most SPS, and the truth is that the game was not working very well, gave me a lot of errors and the more downloads I got, the worse the game worked. But at least it worked! I was hoping to buy a new computer to play and my mother gave me one as a Christmas surprise . She gave me a brand new laptop with windows 8. It is an Asus S500C s, and it's awesome, but I think it has an integrated intel graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (1842020 KB) .

Yesterday I tried to install base game on it and said it was not compatible. I came here, found this topic, downloaded the patches at the beggining, installed them with grumpy loader, followed every step and it worked until I opened the CAS and the game crashed. The same thing happened when I installed University, but when I installed Nightlife the game wasn't running anymore. Are you seriously telling me I would never be able to play again until I get another computer with another graphics card? It seems pretty horrible since I don't think I'm getting another computer in the next 2 or 3 years... I know I can live without simming, but honestly I do not want to forget about this game. Could anybody help me please? Does anyone of you know if I can get a second graphics card and how?
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 1:33 PM
Hi Betsy! I know nothing about computers, but please do not give up. Hopefully someone will answer your post with suggestions.
The first thing that helped me along was changing to SP3 - and there's a post somewhere here that details how to do it.
And also a post that shows you exactly what to type in a space that needs you to correct it.
If you follow those 2 leads, you stand a great chance to be able to load The Sims 2.
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 10:58 AM Last edited by Atreya : 24th Jan 2014 at 11:22 AM.
I followed your steps and succesfully installend the sims 2 and the first 3 EP's. But my computer won't load the stuff packs. It seems my computer can't read the cd's of the stuff packs. They are not scratched or damaged, have always been stored in the original boxes and several SP's are affected. Is there anything I can do to make them load so I can install the stuff packs?

Do I absolutely have to follow the install order or is it possible to install the EP now and try to install the stuff packs later?

edit: i use a laptop with windows 8.1
Test Subject
#123 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 8:25 PM Last edited by eveundso : 25th Jan 2014 at 8:39 PM.
I've got the feeling, that my computer hates me. I've tried to run The Sims 2 for 7 hours now.
When I change the compatibility mode to "XP Service Pack 2" or ANY other mode, nothing happens. AutoRun doesn't even start. I even tried installing Sims2 on a virtual machine twice. The first time I installed it on Win7 and it worked, but the walls blinked red and the gras was pink. Same thing happened when I installed it on Windows XP on the virtual machine. I don't know what to do anymore, seriously. I'm done.

A year ago I had Sims2 on my computer with Windows 7 and it worked fine.
Test Subject
#124 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 9:46 PM
Default Unfortunate Sims 2 Owner
Unfortunately, Those of us that have digital copies do not have this choice. Origin installs the base game once it finishes the download and when I run it, it fails to respond for me like before. As much as I hated Windows Vista and Windows 7, I never had the issue of playing my Sims 2. Now that I was forced to buy a new pc, it automatically comes with windows 8 and therefor I do not have the choice. My investments of Sims 2 have been a total waste of money now and I'm out of all that money I struggled with to save to get my games over the years

Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!
Test Subject
#125 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 7:00 PM
I love you. Thanks.
Page 5 of 13