Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:27 PM
Default my abandoned warehouse *residential*
hi everyone. this is my abandoned warehouse i'm working on at the moment. i have pictures of the interior and exterior. tell me what you think, and what could be improved? the only CC used was windkeepers ladder. the rest is maxis. the walls and floors are all maxis, and it works out because maxis has bad taste anyways. this is supposed to be like an old abandoned warehouse from the 50's, where a very poor family. presumably a couple, or a single parent, and a daughter by the looks of the flowery room. the bathroom has 2 wall showers, but there is enough room for one of them to be replaced with a sink, for anyones personal preference. it's pretty much done, but i don't want it to get rejected if i submit it now. suggestions and constructive criticism are very much appreciated.

Screenshots

"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day." - Don Vito Corleone [Godfather]
Advertisement
Zombie Socks
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:53 PM
If the ladder was from TSR windkeeper, you can't include it, as all TSR items are considered to be pay. We have some very nice ladders here at MTS2, though!

One problem with this house is it doesn't really look like a warehouse at all. It looks like a cheap house, but not a warehouse. The room sizes are also a bit weird. That odd slant in the kitchen will probably end up causing traffic jams and the master bedroom is so small you have to put in two doors just to use the bed, which is weird. There also seem to be a lot of empty space in the living room. Try moving some furniture away the walls. Also, the stage lights in the living room look a bit too nice for the 'abandoned' feel. Overall, it's not a bad start, but it needs a lot more work.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:21 PM Last edited by Aucaria : 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:27 PM.
I´m sorry. But at this moment this doesn´t look like a warehouse. The idea itself is really good. So I hope you don´t give up.

Try searching pictures of real warehouses. Google is very good for that purpose!

Hmm...You said that the only CC is the ladders? But your bathroom walls are CC also! I have them too. They are not Maxis. Only a recolor of the orginall Maxis wall! If you are not sure what of your things are CC and what is made by Maxis, use the CleanInstaller program! You can downlode it here at modthesims2.

Any house uploded here must be checked with CleanInstaller before you uplode the house. The game has weird happit of putting extra things in houses when you make the Sims2Pack. CleanInstaller can remove them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:22 PM
wait what? i downloaded the ladder from here. nvm i thought it was windkeeper that made it. i used marvines. i was trying to think of the name w/o going back, sorry.

and alright, this was just a project i did really quick out of boredom. would making the roof flat kind of give it more of an 'abandoned' look?
i think i'll just redo the upstairs. i intended for the bedrooms to be small, because the warehouse wasn't a house to start with. to begin with, it was an abandoned warehouse and a really poor family[had no place to go] moved in sometime in the 50's. after their death's it sits with their furniture still in it, but it hasn't been touched since then.

"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day." - Don Vito Corleone [Godfather]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:24 PM
Aucaria- i don't have anything in my downloads folder right now except the ladder. i don't have all the expansions at the moment, either. only up to bon voyage and 2 stuff packs because my computer was completely reimaged. those walls come from the university expansion pack. you're thinking of different walls, the dirty ones maybe with writing on them? i had those in my old downloads folder.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:31 PM
Then it may be that someone has made walls just like those. Since I do not have University EP and I have walls that look like the once in your bathroom. Sorry for false alarm.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:34 PM
it's fine, no problem.

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 7:38 PM
One suggestion that I would heavily recommend you using is to put in carpets! Even if the old floors weren't redone by the new family, they should have some carpets to make up for the loss of regular floors (and also to hide all that hideous warehouse-style floorboards).

Another thing, I do think a sink would be better than two showers. The only way that both could be used at once is if the parents have a high enough relationship to use the bathroom together, and that is only if there are two of them; you said the house would work with a single parent as well.

I do agree with Aucaria that this doesn't look like a warehouse. Most warehouses are huge and long. I like the idea, though!

Atra esterní ono thelduin/Mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr/Un du evarínya ono varda.
Atra gülai un ilian taught ono un atra ono waíse sköliro frá rauthr.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 7:39 PM
Before you spend any more time with this lot: have you noticed that the edges aren't flat? This will result in unnecessary hassle for people who want to put this next to other lots, particluarly since in your case there's no need for uneven edges at all.

I recommend flattening the edges with LotAdjuster, or starting over on a lot that actually is flat.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 8:08 AM
alright i've started over. it's the same basic house plan, with a few exceptions because of it's size. it looks more like an actual warehouse now, i hope you guys like it.
some stuff is leftover from the actual warehouse (to make it realistic)
like the pooltable, massage table, and robot station or whatever it is. i didn't look. that was sort of the 'recreational' area in the abandoned warehouse, before it became occupied by a family.
all i have to do is check the price.

for the windows, i just made some vents, only 2 actual windows. imagine the smell in there.

also, the master bedroom is now big enough so that it doesn't need 2 doors to use both sides of the bed, also has a mirror and the single bedroom has a dresser.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 9:35 AM
Actually, I like the wooden floor! Lol. Why would you put carpeting on a warehouse? There is however a quite of lot wood on the floors. Maybe you coud use the carpeting as a way create an illusion of a rug?

The pool table looks too expensive to have in this scenario. Maybe somenthing else would work instead? I really liked the dart game you had before.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 9:59 AM
Hi
What I see is that you are quite good at interior decorating but appear to be struggling a little with the bane of all new creators; the roof and the outside walls. What EP s are you using? if you are up to BV then you can change the roof slope angle to make it much flatter; go for a darker tile on the roof and check out the industrial brick if you have it. An alternative, if you don't mind CC, is PIXELHATES fantastic walls. I like the idea of the small high privacy windows, but try only using that window, and while visiting pixelhate check out his recolour of the Just a Door from base game. A couple of excellent pieces of cc combined with a lower roof will really give you that warehouse look.
Also, instead of the green grass, go with a paving stone floor tile across the front and put in a couple of lampposts instead of the trees. Will look more urban that way. I think this will be a cool little lot if you keep at it - don't give up!

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 10:11 AM Last edited by Ŧoxication : 24th Mar 2009 at 11:02 AM.
alright, i can take the pool table out. i just didn't want a big unused space right there, but it's alright. it puts the price of the warehouse over the top anyways, at 26,000 simoleans.
it's supposed to be kind of empty anyways. i didn't want to put carpet because actually i do like the wood, lol. i'll make a rug or something for the recreational living room though.
*btw the dartgame is still there, i just forget to take a picture of it. it's by the bathroom*

thank you, leesester, i'll try some of those suggestions. i'm trying to keep custom content to a minimum though so i can keep track of where it all came from, and becuse people are more likely to download lots with little or no custom content. i'll try some of that stuff out and post new pictures, thank you.

*EDIT*

okay, i used aged brick for the outside paint of the warehouse.
i don't have any stone terrain at the moment, but when i get some i'll use it and put up some lamp posts.
i'm including a picture of the dart board.

i replaced the white doors upstairs with aged wooden doors, and
i put a green carpet in the living area. i think that a dirty white carpet or something would be more appropriate though.

it wouldn't let me change the slope of the roof, i only have up to bon voyage installed right now. i had that option before when i had all eps though.
when i buy freetime again and install everything i'll look at changing the roof, unless someone would like to slope it for me, in the meantime?
it doesn't have to be done right now, though. i'm buying freetime tomorrow. i have my mansion & garden and apartment life disks here with me.

one more thing, i took out the two bigger windows in the front of the warehouse.
right now i'm not using a darker roof, i think the roof color i have now is appropriate because it's a maxis 'worn roof' color.

*edit again*

also, as you can kind of see in the door picture, i chnaged the wallpaper in both bedrooms.
Screenshots

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 11:40 AM
well, I think that is moving on great. May I make another suggestion? I see you have some really cool wooden doors on the interior - how about putting two of those side by side for the front door? Would look rough and grubbly. Also, I think more of the privacy windows spaced along the walls will break up the walls a bit more and give some detail. And I think you are quite right to stay with the roof; it does look pretty worn now I look at it more closely.
Regarding the roof cheats, which are you trying?

Boolprop individualroofslopeangle XX usually works for me, but I have no BV installed so I am not sure.

EDIT: Do not use custom terrain paint - it is a BAD THING. Rather take a look at some of the maxis tiles from base game - I think they are under paving.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 12:00 PM
whoa, why can't i use custom terrain paint?
i did already, and i moved the lot downtown.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 12:05 PM
Custom terrain paint is not good to use if you want to upload the lot; if you ever remove that terrain paint from your DL folder then all the ground on the lot will flash BLUE and you will have to throw that lot away. As a lot of creators do not bother to identify their terrain paint correctly then it can be deleted by mistake very easily and you have flashing blue lots. As a downloader, I would avoid a lot with custom terrain paint - rather 5 pieces of cc to find than one terrain paint.

Re the lot - more windows please!!!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 12:15 PM Last edited by Ŧoxication : 24th Mar 2009 at 12:22 PM.
damn. i didn't know, sorry. but i know exactly where i got the terrain paint from.
i added more windows though and i did the door thing.

and just now i moved the trash can up and the mailbox to the side.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#18 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 12:28 PM
That is starting to look better - regarding the wall paint - is that a pixelhate? If it is , check if it is part of a set of papers - wall A, wall B etc, and try and mix and match a bit more, as it is it looks very - repeated. I would also advise to paint over that terrain paint with a maxis sand and then use floor tiles - the paint is not nice enough and throws off the lot. Finally - is that a NON FLAT EDGE I see?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 1:20 PM
why do my lots have non flat edges? i don't understand, before i build i use the maxis flattening tool but it always goes up like that and it's pissing me off honestly.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 1:32 PM
lol! thats honest! I had the same problem - the best way to do it is to get the biggest lot you can, place that and flatten the lot with the tool. Then BULLDOZE that enormous lot and build a new SMALLER lot where the old huge lot was - not on the edge, of course. Should be flat then. Also, try and build in Pleasantview (or its equivalent in your AGS if you use it) as Pleasantview is pretty flat already.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 4:46 PM
i originally started building in pleasantview. but then i flattened the lot with the tool. how am i going to fix this with my lot already built?

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#22 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 5:04 PM
You can download lot adjuster, as Pbox said at the beginning of the thread. It is a bit complicated though. OR, you can rebuild (again I guess as Pbox already told you this) on a flat lot.

Zombie Socks
#23 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 5:25 PM
I think you can do that with the lotadjuster. (search for it on this site)

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#24 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 6:20 PM
It will need to be either flattened with the lotadjuster or bulldozed. It will not be accepted with unlevel edges. As far as the custom terrain paints..ditch them. They are not worth the hassle. And anyone who is a lot downloader will avoid this lot like the plague.

I also notice your window placement and type of windows needs a lot more work. You've got a good start. Just pay attention to what folks are telling you in this thread, and you'll do just fine.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 8:20 PM
besides the exterior, how does the interior look?

Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: some useful info
Page 1 of 2