Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 2:25 PM
Default Sketchup
Hello, I was just wondering if you could use Google SketchUp to create objects for The Sims 2. I hope this is the right forum. Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 10:58 PM
Moving to Object Creation and Texturing forum.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Corrosively Delightful
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 9:06 PM Last edited by cokenasmile : 26th Nov 2006 at 9:22 PM. Reason: Played with SketchUp and reporting back
From what I can see, you need the Pro version in order to get the option to save in.obj format. The issue is not so much what program can make 3D meshes, it is which programs do we have the right plugins for and which programs can get the meshes into and out of the game. Perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks here as to what formats are going to work or are easily transformed into another file type, but off the cuff it would seem to me that you'd still need something like milkshape to save it in the right format.

OK, having downloaded and played with it a bit, it seems fun and very intuitive. But you can only save in .skp format so the problem becomes how to get that file into a format that is usable by the game.

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
SO much to do and so many other things to distract me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 6:36 AM
It would be good if someone could fill in the blanks, then i could start making stuff. I downloaded Milkshape and it seems a little to "complicated". But then again I only downloaded it and had a 15 minute look.
Corrosively Delightful
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 6:52 AM Last edited by cokenasmile : 28th Nov 2006 at 7:20 AM. Reason: found more info/ and again
What blanks would you like to have filled in? If you are referring to my previous comment about file types, I really do not know of any *free* program that can take a .skp and save it as a .obj or other file type that we can work with in Sims. If anyone else does, please let me know. There is a plugin available to export in .obj but it is for the full version of SketchUp Pro 5.0 for $495.

There are links to tutorials with MilkShape on the MilkShape site as well as tutorials you can download as part of the help tab in the program. There are many, many tutorials in this site that will walk you through the steps in MilkShape, too. If there is something specific you need help with, let me know and I may be able to provide a few links.

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
SO much to do and so many other things to distract me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 10:23 AM
I saw a screenshot of Wings 3d and it looked easy so I downloaded it and I've been playing around with it for an hour or so. Thanks anyway .
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 10:38 AM
I use Wings3d mostly and I find it pretty easy to work with.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.