Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 10:10 PM
Default Question about Laptop internal drive and playing games
I just upgraded my MSI laptop with a new internal drive, it is now an e: drive. I have a c and I have a d drive, but they are pretty used up, which is why I added 500GB drive. Before I uninstall and reinstall my sims games (I have them installed on my D Drive, but play from my C drive - but the C and D drives only have so many GB left, which doesn't leave much room for CC for Ts2 and Ts4), can I install and run the sims from my E drive? That would mean, installation, and all the stuff formerly in my documents folder on the one drive.

So I found some information about symbolic links to redirect non O/S applications.

Am I getting in over my head? I think I understand, but brain hurts.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 12:05 AM
Hmm I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but maybe this will help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpoQtHLpgV0
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 6:50 AM
Yes, you can install the game to any drive you like. You need to uninstall from the D drive before reinstalling to the E drive if you have disc versions, or use the method keren linked to above for digital.

To move the savegame location, you can either move the location of your entire Documents folder:
Game Help:Change Location of Downloads Folderwiki
Or else, create a symbolic link to the EA Games folder on another drive:
https://www.nicholasoverstreet.com/...t-of-documents/
It is possible to download utilities to help with creating symbolic links; bulbizarre links one here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...200#post5444200
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 9:04 AM
Symbolic Links and Junctions are the best choice, other than having to mess around with windows default settings.

Your much better off keeping your sim games files on your D and using the other seperate drive for your save games and cc, so your game is literally installed on 2 drives to avoid any chance of bottlenecking.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 5:19 PM
thank you all so much for helping me. I appreciate the responses. I have said this before, I am like an idiot/savant. Some things I understand incredibly well, and some things which are so simple for others just confound me. I appreciate that you don't treat my questions like they are dumb, as I know C & D drives/partitions are quite common, but I have never had an E drive internally before, so I wasn't sure if like, the later in the alphabet you get, the less likely you can use "major" programs on your puter. (doh!!)
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
Some things I understand incredibly well, and some things which are so simple for others just confound me.

Sounds like a description for a normal human being..