Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Set Filters on Paintings by Reference v4

by scumbumbo Posted 13th Nov 2017 at 5:37 AM - Updated 18th Apr 2019 at 12:08 AM by scumbumbo : Updated for 04/16/2019 game patch

108 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 54 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#26 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:35 AM
Is there a way to download the default filter as a photoshop filter?
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:49 AM
I noticed something going on in the game, with my sims' newest paintings. All of his that he made previously before the mod work perfectly when I apply a filter etc.! But the new ones he made while having the mod seem to capture a different part of the room (rotated a bit and to the side) when I apply one of the filters. Is there any reason this might be happening? Thank you!!!
(the first picture is the original painting he made, and the second is with a saturated filter applied. All the filters do the same thing and it did this same thing on various paintings that he made.)
Screenshots

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Deceased
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 7:52 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 18th Nov 2017 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Followup
Quote: Originally posted by lkandak
I noticed something going on in the game, with my sims' newest paintings. the new ones he made while having the mod seem to capture a different part of the room (rotated a bit and to the side) when I apply one of the filters. Is there any reason this might be happening?

I can't think of any reason why this would be happening, I'd have to play with it - is this always happening to you or a once in a while kind of thing? The mod doesn't change how the image is taken, that's all controlled by the main game engine - the Python scripts never see the actual texture images, or the filters themselves, believe me I tried to access them

I don't think I did more than one test paint by reference using that canvas size you're using in your screenshots, perhaps that has something to do with it. I'll do some trials and check the resulting JPEG images from the clientDB.package file to see what's going on behind the scenes, maybe it's storing a larger image for the original image and when changing the filter for the different canvas size it gets confused.

Followup - I can't seem to reproduce this occuring and the images in my clientDB.package file all look correct. Tried four paint by reference in each size and all was picture perfect. There's really only two things I can think of that could possibly do this: first I can see you have the Pets expansion, which I do not - perhaps that changes the paint by reference process somehow that I can't see without having the expansion. Or, possibly you have an outdated UI mod that is corrupting the paint by reference process - I can't think of anything an ordinary XML package mod could do to alter how the process works in that manner. It looks like the game is storing the "uncropped" image taken by the camera, which is not what should be happening.

Can anyone else, with or without the Pets expansion, duplicate this issue?
Deceased
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zach615g
Is there a way to download the default filter as a photoshop filter?

No one seems to know where those filters are stored in the game packages, or even if they are. The Python code never sees the actual filters, it just sends a filter number to the game engine to request the texture of the image to be altered. And unfortunately the filter numbers are just numbers from zero through 'n', not an instance ID or anything.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 7:52 PM
Thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#31 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 6:05 AM Last edited by lkandak : 28th Nov 2017 at 4:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
I can't think of any reason why this would be happening, I'd have to play with it - is this always happening to you or a once in a while kind of thing? The mod doesn't change how the image is taken, that's all controlled by the main game engine - the Python scripts never see the actual texture images, or the filters themselves, believe me I tried to access them ....

It was happening to all his paintings at the time, which were all small. The sim I was trying with has now moved so I will try out as soon as I get the chance if he still has the same issue. I didn't get to test too much before! Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#32 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:09 AM
Thank you so much!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#33 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 11:10 PM
Welcome back! I have missed you. Thank you for another great mod.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 4:53 AM
That hateful blobby paintings! You killed'em! Ty ty ty!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#35 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 10:29 AM
謝謝你的分享
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#36 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 1:24 PM
Thank you for this mod! I was wondering if maybe there is a filter being applied to the photography as well when you take pictures because all of my pictures come out horribly blurry and pixelated no matter the size of the picture or the camera it is taken with.
Deceased
Original Poster
#37 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amybug1984
Thank you for this mod! I was wondering if maybe there is a filter being applied to the photography as well when you take pictures because all of my pictures come out horribly blurry and pixelated no matter the size of the picture or the camera it is taken with.

That sounds like what happens when your Sim's photography skill isn't high enough yet, failure can cause a picture to be blurry and poor and reduce the quality of the image (permanently, if I recall correctly, so it can't be fixed by removing any filters).

The results from a high photography skill and the top-end camera when the large photo format is chosen should be fairly acceptable. I've even scaled the photo up one size on the wall using the build/buy ] key and it's not too bad.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#38 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 1:13 AM
Best mod ever! I wish this is done for Sims 3 too.
Deceased
Original Poster
#39 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lkandak
I noticed something going on in the game, with my sims' newest paintings. But the new ones he made while having the mod seem to capture a different part of the room (rotated a bit and to the side) when I apply one of the filters. Is there any reason this might be happening?

@lkandak - I have run into a similar issue while working on my latest mod and I believe it to be related to a game bug where some of the photo data can get mis-managed when a Paint From Reference action is cancelled by clicking the 'X' close button on the camera view. The canvas gets properly destroyed, but I think the image taken can hang around in the user interface code and get mistakenly applied to one of the next photos taken. I'm not entirely sure that is what causes it though, and the issue I have is different in that the actual photo or painting is correct when displayed in the game, but in the inventory the thumbnail could be of a previously taken photo or paint from reference image. Very strange, and I can't imagine it being related to this mod but odder things have happened.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#40 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 9:14 PM
Thanks you so much. I hate how the bad the paintings look when using paint from reference.
Deceased
Original Poster
#41 Old 26th Feb 2018 at 9:02 PM
FYI all - we've identified a new bug in the game and there was some question as to whether it was caused by this mod, Paint By Reference From Anywhere or More Portable Objects - and the answer is... none of the above. This bug can occur even with no mods installed.

If the paint by reference interaction is cancelled (intending to finish later) and the game is then saved and reloaded, the choice to continue the painting is not available. Dragging the painting from the easel to the Sim's inventory and then back to the easel will let you continue the painting.

Again, this bug can occur even with no mods installed, so it is not a problem with any of these mods.
Test Subject
#42 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 4:27 PM
Sorry to say but my MCCC mod tells me that your mod is outdated. The Issue you are talking about above. is not the only issue. The painting on Off. ground cant be removed by the sim or deleted så the easel again is free....!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 1st May 2018 at 7:49 PM
Letting you know the regular paintings are now bugged--regardless of size or skill, all paintings have the same image. This image is one of the painting type's large, high level paintings. When painted on a small or medium canvas, the image is set to the left side of the canvas with the right side filled in with a single color. Removing this mod fixed the issue. Strangely enough, it wasn't causing LE errors. This occurred both on community lots and residential lots, with a teen Sim (didn't test other ages).
Test Subject
#44 Old 3rd May 2018 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowieSimmer
Letting you know the regular paintings are now bugged--regardless of size or skill, all paintings have the same image. This image is one of the painting type's large, high level paintings. When painted on a small or medium canvas, the image is set to the left side of the canvas with the right side filled in with a single color. Removing this mod fixed the issue. Strangely enough, it wasn't causing LE errors. This occurred both on community lots and residential lots, with a teen Sim (didn't test other ages).

I'm experiencing the same in my game with YA, Adults and Elders (haven't tested with a teen), and so far it hasn't been causing LE errors for me either.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 4th May 2018 at 9:05 PM
please update this mod, doesn't work anymore without errors
Test Subject
#46 Old 6th May 2018 at 8:20 AM
The mod does indeed seem bugged. Having the same issues as SnowieSimmer
Test Subject
#47 Old 7th May 2018 at 5:14 PM
I have the same issue SnowieSimmer has. Everything was fine until I bought/installed Pets/City Living a month ago. At first I thought it was a new feature (off centered in medium/small) but as I started painting more I realized that the same group of paintings kept showing up. So then I thought it was a bug from Pets/CL but I couldn't find any one having this problem. So the only option left was CC and your mod was the only one I had for painting.
I hope you update it soon.
Test Subject
#48 Old 8th May 2018 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowieSimmer

I have this exact bug as well. Shame, because this is all but a must have mod imo.
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th May 2018 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SCarverOrne
I have this exact bug as well. Shame, because this is all but a must have mod imo.

I wonder if sims4studio can fix this. I saw a video tutorial on how to fix broken CC with S4S. I can't test that theory on this computer though. --https://youtu.be/jeFnHJ_bJ5g
Deceased
Original Poster
#50 Old 12th May 2018 at 5:45 AM
Fixing the bug caused by the pets expansion would be impossible for me as I don't own that expansion or have any desire at this time to purchase it.

I really don't understand why having the pets expansion causes issues, I'll make a note to take a look to see if I can figure out what it might be but likely it will be impossible to fix without having the expansion.

If you don't have the pets (or possibly city living, not sure which) expansion, then the mod should work fine for you. I'm sorry that it doesn't work for those with one or both of those expansions.
Page 2 of 5