Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 5th Jul 2018 at 10:52 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help w/ blocked tile on uneven terrain in fully built lot
Ugh, I have a lot that is fully done and really nice. A redesign of Apple Grove's church (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=317479) with a straight basement. I'm really happy with it, but turns out one tile is blocking proper use of it, probably because there is a change in level there, though I can't see it. If sim is directed to go in or out of basement through any action, the action just falls out of queue. I've narrowed it down to just this one tile that he can't get past. The stairs and door work fine from either side but he can't get in or out passing that spot on his own. I created that slope with GridAdjuster and it looks fabulous, but there's this one tile causing problems. I've tried leveling it with the surrounding terrain, but it won't budge. Does anyone have a way to fix it? This was far too involved a project for me to want to build it again.

This is just a test hood for lots, btw. Savory Charlatan and Humbler Humble are the only two sims in it.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 11:58 PM
Did you try the stuck object remover on that tile?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 12:17 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 5th Jul 2018 at 12:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you try the stuck object remover on that tile?

That was a good suggestion, I hadn't, but I did, and it said 0 objects burninated.

EDIT: I used LotAduster to make the lot larger in the back there where the stairs are so I could experiment, and now I think the trouble is that the game thinks there needs to be a stair there from the ground to the doorstep even though they are visually at the same level. When I experiment by just slapping some stairs in, they look awful, but the area becomes usable. I'll keep working on it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
That was a good suggestion, I hadn't, but I did, and it said 0 objects burninated.

EDIT: I used LotAduster to make the lot larger in the back there where the stairs are so I could experiment, and now I think the trouble is that the game thinks there needs to be a stair there from the ground to the doorstep even though they are visually at the same level. When I experiment by just slapping some stairs in, they look awful, but the area becomes usable. I'll keep working on it.

Oh if you used the Grid Adjuster to sink the basement into the ground, it doesn't matter if the two sides - one in the sunk bit and the other the regular ground - are level, as far as the game is concerned they ARE on different levels and sims can't traverse them without steps. The actual spatial relationship is unimportant, if you sunk a foundation or a floor level into the ground, the game STILL reads it as one level up. It will not change and you can't trick it.

Doesn't matter how much you squash and change the levels, the actual height above or below ground (or on a level with it) is irrelevant - the game always reads the levels as you first built them. Ground level is level 0, foundation or ground/1st floor is level one, next floor up is level 2 and so on and always, always will be. You have to have stairs for the sims to transverse the levels. Be warned also, that one step stairs are problematic. Two step stairs are the lowest number that work without problems. There's a discussion which is related here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=402863. You can sort of fiddle it but you still need some variety of steps.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 3:30 AM
Thank you, Maxon, that's very helpful. I have a lot where I used two steps simply by sinking the regular modular ones. I'll see what I can do with the design. Live and learn, right?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 5:07 AM
@HugeLunatic, is this still a usable file that I could try for fixing this lot? I've downloaded and looked for it in game, but can't find it, even looking at it in SimPE? Hints? http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...195&postcount=6

Ooops, excuse the double post.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 1:10 PM
I find it helps to think about fiddling with layers in terms of a sandwich - a ham sandwich say - with layers of bread slice, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, bread slice for example. It doesn't matter how hard you stick your finger in the top of the sandwich and push the middle of the sandwich down, the middle of the ham layer, which might now be below the bottom bread layer, is still there completely connected to the ham at the sides and is still in the same order in relation to the bread layers, lettuce and tomato. The ham never ends up as the bottom layer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 2:39 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 5th Jul 2018 at 10:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I find it helps to think about fiddling with layers in terms of a sandwich - a ham sandwich say - with layers of bread slice, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, bread slice for example. It doesn't matter how hard you stick your finger in the top of the sandwich and push the middle of the sandwich down, the middle of the ham layer, which might now be below the bottom bread layer, is still there completely connected to the ham at the sides and is still in the same order in relation to the bread layers, lettuce and tomato. The ham never ends up as the bottom layer.

I get it.

I've redesigned the back area to take stairs, but I'm considering attempting raising the entire building by a couple of clicks to see if it looks a little better, though that would mean a LOT of repeated work. For this particular lot, it doesn't matter *too* much that there are extra stairs because it's hard to see the sim go down there anyway, but I was quite happy with how realistic the opening looked and the goal was to reproduce the church shape that I liked with this alternate technique (it had the double walled basement originally) and it did that and improved on it a bit. In future, I will not design lots with an external entrance to the basement this way and I had already worked out how to make the house only 2 clicks above ground to take two steps. Thanks again for the link. I never would have found that on my own and it's really important info.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon

Just turn the sandwich over. :P
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 6:32 PM
Alchemist
#11 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 8:11 PM
a possible fix might be the constrainfloorelevation cheat.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
a possible fix might be the constrainfloorelevation cheat.

Basically, that's what GridAdjuster is. I don't think there's anyway to use it here to advantage, but if you have a specific idea, that'd be great. What would you do with it?
Alchemist
#13 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Basically, that's what GridAdjuster is. I don't think there's anyway to use it here to advantage, but if you have a specific idea, that'd be great. What would you do with it?
basically level the area through level terrain tool; or whole lot through flatten lot tool.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 10:11 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 5th Jul 2018 at 10:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The most up to date version of the simple passage stairs is here: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=4558.0

Thank you very much for answering. Ok, I've downloaded the new ones, I still don't see the modular one anywhere in the game, but drumrolllllllllllll, the straight one shows up where expected, and works perfectly! A thousand thanks. With this, I didn't even have to move the sim out and change the lot and I could go back to my lovely original design that, honestly, took hours to build. It's perfect! Thank you so much!