Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2010 at 11:21 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 22nd Jun 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Default Condemned Part 2- working computer now, but still on hold until everythings installed again.
Well, I really didn't expect part 1 to go over as well as it did..but since it did (and it was fun to work on!) I figured I'd go for a part 2.

The blinds are my favorite so far. There's also 3 piles of boards for the ground, wood floors, terrain paint. Something is missing though. Ideas? (Not all of what I've done so far is shown!) The wallpapers are a bit bright, this will either be fixed or just forgotten about.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th May 2010 at 3:33 AM
Judging by the title, you're making stuff for a condemned place?
The blinds and woodpile look great, but I think the wallpaper isn't right, for a condemned place you need something like...peeling wallpaper or paint, graffiti or just generally dirty walls.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th May 2010 at 4:22 AM
You've got a point about the wallpaper. I wanted to start out getting the colors right first- they're toned down now and look much better. Now I've got to "ruin" them. And I don't want to! (There's 2 floors I need to wreck, too.)

I'm still trying to figure out something else to go with this.
#4 Old 24th May 2010 at 5:36 AM
Ohhh, I want the blinds now!

Instead of ruining the wall paper, you could add the destruction to this:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=242442

Which can be used on anything.

How about broken and cracked windows?

This might be a little complicated, but something that sits floor level, flush with the floor, that makes it look like the floor has crumbled off, like in this picture:
http://www.photo-blog.cv-industries...s/07work-04.jpg
Let me know if that interests you, and I will let you know how it might work.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th May 2010 at 6:05 AM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. lol. Pixelhate's mesh is exactly what I needed. And forget degrading/destroying the walls..he did recolors for that so I can use those as an example and link to the mesh. BUT I definitely have an idea for a recolor, or 3, or 5 for the mesh. The crumbly link? Interesting, but doing something like that looks way out of my league. How might it work?

Oh yeah, almost forgot- the blinds aren't quite done yet since I have to redo one of the 2-tile ones and the diagonals need done. Otherwise I'd let you have them for all the help you've given me. (The three 1-tile blinds are done though..with 6 recolors...)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 24th May 2010 at 8:30 AM
I too think those wrecked blinds are really cool. Love the idea.

Here's another one: See the hole under the staircase in the picture that VoD posted? How about making that as a window. The mesh itself would be the boards showing inside the hole, and the hole itself would be created with the wallmask. I think it might actually work and could really add destruction to an already crumbling house.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Instructor
#7 Old 24th May 2010 at 1:44 PM
I love this project!!!!!! I know you already have this set almost finished, so I had an idea for another set you could make, if you wanted obviously.
We already have other junked sets for average houses, but I thought it would be cool if you could make a set of things for a ruined mansion.... Like a chandelier laying in the floor where it fell from the celing, and a broken claw-foot tub....

Just a random Idea I had.... Obviously it's easier to think of these things when you're not the one making them, and doiong the hard work... lol..... great work on everything, by the way...... maybe you could make a floor overlay that looks like some of the boards are missing?

I don't take requests. :-)

"You with this lovely baby blue/green huge eyes and this evil touch...couldn't be more adorable" - My Vera
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th May 2010 at 3:58 PM
Moune, yeah that's definitely an idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll give it a try with an existing window just to see how it will all work out- you might have started something here!

Wicked_poppies, I like your ideas too. Wrecking some furniture was something I thought of but it's been done, which is why I was trying to do something different. This set really isn't that close to being done now- I have so got to get MilkShape and SimPE going now. And see about some overlays, lol.
#9 Old 24th May 2010 at 10:59 PM
For the hole in the floor, you could make it a sculpture that is flat with the ground, so the floor would have to look like this:

And when the object is placed in the open area, it would look like the picture. Do you kinda get what I am saying? I'm confusing myself.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2010 at 7:40 AM
VoD, I can't really see what's in that pic. The colors are too dark? Moune suggested the hole in the wall, so I worked on that. It needs some fine tuning (shadow removed, needs to be ground height for ex.) but I do believe it will work. Too bad I can't play around with the foundation...if that could have an invisible floor/top just imagine what could be done.

I've been working on some recolors of Pixelhate's 2-tile overlay.. anyone know what the English recolor is referring to? If you know, you'll see that it fits right in with this set. (There are more recolors, I'm not showing them all..lol.) The light needs worked on- I'd like it to still light up so I have to play around with it and for the life of me, I don't remember moving the base up! But according to the shadow on the wall, I did. Hmmm. There's more done- I just wanted to post a quick update before I go to bed..and these few things are the ones I would really like feedback on.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th May 2010 at 11:32 AM
That hole in the wall is excellent! Good work, I'm glad it was possible. You might have to add a border to the mesh outlining the hole inside it - kind of like some of Babayaga's Lancet windows. Otherwise the wall might appear a little thin. And maybe make a few different ones. One near the floor, one near the ceiling and one where half the wall is gone, perhaps.

I think I understand what VoD is suggesting. You kind of make a floor-colored rug with a hole in the middle which is then placed over an upperfloor place with no floor tiles. The 'rug' would then have to have the same colour as the floor tiles used around it to blend in. I suppose you could also make a real rug with a hole in it, so that it looks like somebody fell through the rug and the hole at the same time.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th May 2010 at 5:13 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 25th May 2010 at 8:16 PM.
The hole in the wall is shown with an invisible frame recolor- which I thought would work. It does, but the wall does look thin. I looked at Guatla's cracks from the demolition set- now I see what I need to change. Thanks for the link to those windows- I never saw those and they're awesome.

Wonder if the floor overlays can be made to work like VoD suggested? Since they started out as a rug and a texture can be put anywhere within the footprint...thinking of the floor of the foundation as the sub-floor..hmmmmm. (Sorry, thinking out loud here )

edit: Aha! Thanks to Guatla, I figured it out and the hole in the wall looks much better.
Instructor
#13 Old 25th May 2010 at 10:32 PM
There are invisible floor tiles that would work if you wanted to make a hole in the floor.... you could just clone a rug to make it look like there is plywook across it, and then the sims could still walk over it....

I don't take requests. :-)

"You with this lovely baby blue/green huge eyes and this evil touch...couldn't be more adorable" - My Vera
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th May 2010 at 10:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas. What I really want to do is use something that already exists that most people probably already have. Which probably means a rug recolor, not a clone? I really don't know considering the fact that I've never cloned or recolored a rug. I do love Phaenoh/Pixelhate's overlays though. There are going to end up being so many meshes if I don't try some recolors and I don't want anyone to NOT download this set, or the first one, because of that. Of course, the meshes are going to all be masters/slaves to save some file space.

Since I have a tendency to lose all my little notes- so far for this set there is:
*6 blinds, no diagonals yet- and 6 recolors
*3 piles of wood for the ground (already slaved to the previous set)
*1 "hole in the wall" with more to be done (can't have just one!)- maybe 4 altogether? (2, 1 tile; 2, 2 tile)
*7 recolors of Pixelhate's full wall poster
*Wallpapers (might not include) and 3 floors..thinking of doing something to the flooring
*1 wrecked lamp (and I really want to do more, ruining them is so much fun!)
*Would like to add a couple ruined pieces of furniture because abandoned houses seem like they'd have SOME kind of abandoned furniture left in them. I was thinking of a table and a chair? I'd most likely wreck some in-game stuff for that and slave them to the game versions.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th May 2010 at 1:23 AM
This set might be just about done? If I don't stop it could get really out of hand.

There's a few things I need to fix..hopefully it will all be done in the next day or so. The chairs and the table are sculptures since they obviously can't be used like they're meant to be. The lights work and have the same colors as the in-game lights. Um...oh yeah, lol- the holes in the floor are recolors of the floor overlay. Are they alright the way they are??
Screenshots
#16 Old 30th May 2010 at 11:05 AM
Everything looks great, but the holes seem to not fit in with a wood floor, maybe if you put them on dirt colored terrain?

I love the broken down furniture!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2010 at 6:04 PM
Agreed about the holes. I like the holes but haven't been able to make them look like they're in wood yet. To me, they pretty much work if there won't be a foundation in the house- if you were going to dig through just a floor there would be dirt? With a foundation, there would be a sub-floor. I'll see about putting them on a terrain instead.

The furniture is fun to do.
Instructor
#18 Old 31st May 2010 at 2:28 AM
I love the blinds and am incredibly excited about the broken lamps/furniture.

The holes are cool, but they look a little ... deep? You wouldn't be able to use them on anything but a ground floor. (The one with the ladder is neat, though!)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 11:31 PM
The holes are going to be scrapped, I think. I've played around with them in PhotoShop for quite a while and can't get them to do what I'd like them to do. *sigh*

Soooooo..I decided to do something else for this set. There are curtains with tattered/ruined/stained/etc recolors but I need more than one size- so I finally managed to make some. I did one recolor to see what I could do with them- the holes/rips are thanks to the alpha layer, so if anyone ever wanted to recolor them in "normal" colors that could be done. I don't consider them finished- they're kind of plain so I might add a cornice or valance of some kind.

In the pics- the blinds: I made the colors darker but now I'm not sure they should be darker. Opinions? And the curtains- I'm stumped on what to do to ruin them for more recolors- and the colors need to be faded, imo. Opinions, ideas, feedback? (Blinds and curtains shown are the diagonals, so they DO have diagonals.)
Screenshots
#20 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:54 AM
I think I like the bright blinds better, they look like they have been sitting in the sun too long. Looks good.

As for the curtains, I think they need to be lighter, for those designs at least. Without alpha editing, how long do they go,about the floor?

Here is a better idea how moth eaten curtains look:

http://images.marthastewart.com/ima...ningtable_l.jpg

And in case you were looking to add dirt,grime, etc.Look at some of the drip and splatter patterns.

http://divxplanet.com/local_photos/...Hill-164067.jpg
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 5:16 AM
Thanks! I'm awful at searching. If it's textures I'm looking for I'm ok, anything else? Nah. It's terrible.

Agreed about the blinds, I'll lighten them up..and the curtains, too. The curtain length? According to MilkShape they're 2/3 of the wall and they're higher curtains. I think I kept them the same length as the curtain I cloned them from. Might have to make them longer? There's a 1-tile curtain, too- that one is short and will fit most short, 1-tile windows.

*sees the end of this set coming up!* I think these changes will just about do it. Thanks again for your help, VoD! Off to add some grime to some textures.
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:46 AM
You're welcome.

I*heart*grime! It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Instructor
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:51 PM
Mustluvcats, I think you should outline the edges of the tears and near the rod in black and other subtle dark shading to create the illusion of depth. I would also add highlights where it would be lighter, such as in the center.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 12:53 AM
Wouldn't it be a good idea to slave the broken furniture and blinds to the originals? Here's a tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=229452 It may seem complicated but it's easy if you follow the instructions step by step, I had no problems.

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 9:53 PM
Yea, it would be easier to slave them to the originals. I was trying to take the lazy way out because of the "grime" I added to the textures. I'm pretty sure that would have to be a separate subset (if it wouldn't, I haven't seen a tutorial anywhere) and lazy MLC is lazy. BUT, it does make a lot more sense. So..I'll work on it.

The curtains? The curtains!! *gah* I'm about ready to throw them in the rubbish. The texture is pixelated in game and the only thing I can think of is that the alpha is doing it. The textures I've used are ones I've used before and have never had a problem with them.

I'm still working on this set. We've been busy this week and I had a slight computer problem to iron out- so I haven't really gotten to work on anything. I just wanted to "check in" and reply to any new posts there were.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: do not delete - contains useful links
Page 1 of 2