Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 4:18 AM
Default Default Replacement BV windows - Clear Glass
I was able to make the windows that came with Bon Voyage Expansion Pack have clear glass in them. This is a default replacement of the windows (I can't figure out how to do a recolor) I really need to know if this kind of thing has been done before. I didn't see it anywhere in all pages of 'windows' here on mts, also I don't remember seeing it in the game mods pages. Please tell me what you think:

Advertisement
Typical
#2 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 4:41 PM
Instructor
#3 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 5:20 PM
imagine... windows you can see out of... you are truly a groundbreraker!!! lol... they look great... and by the way, i love your smaller plum bob.... it's great, because in most of my pics, i dont even have to change my active sim for it to not show.

I don't take requests. :-)

"You with this lovely baby blue/green huge eyes and this evil touch...couldn't be more adorable" - My Vera
Banned
#4 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 5:22 PM
Nice idea! And a nice new avatar!
Zombie Socks
#5 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 6:11 PM
Nice! Very lovely! But why not make it a recolor or a clone, since defaults are not very popular with the community when it could be a recolor.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 6:25 PM
hmm, but its the only way to keep the two sides independently recolourable right?
The wood recolours on the inside and the outside and the paper is not a subset, I think. Its a while since I looked at those windows TBH.

If that is not the case then you really should do a recolour.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 9:00 PM
I like them very much but why default? Can't they just have their own GUID?
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 11:51 PM Last edited by joninmobile : 17th Oct 2009 at 12:29 AM.
I can try to do a recolor, and see what happens. Hopefully it will work this time.

Edit:

I was unable to do a recolor, because in object worshop when you go to recolor it, it only shows the wood, and not the paper part of the window. Maybe someone could take a look at this window in SimPE and report back to me, I would really apprecaite that!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 12:43 AM
The paper is not recolorable, because it already has two subsets. The exterior and interior.

You have two options, make a default replacement for the glass only or clone and create a new window. There are a lot of add on windows to this and I would *guess* that creating a default glass replacement would affect all of them. Although I don't think that subset is technically glass, you would probably need to modify the txmt along with the txtr to have actual glass.

Personally I like the rice paper since it fits with traditional architecture.
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 1:22 AM
Well, when I made new windows, and gave it a GUID. It didn't appear right in game. only the frame of the window was showing, and where the glass should be was wall. I used the exact same TXMT and TXTR I used for making the default windows, maybe I did something wrong in giving it a GUID? This is the way I give GUIDs. I first go to the OBJD without any (0,1) or whatever and tick update MMTAs then I give it a GUID and hit update all MMTAs and commit. Then I go to the ones with (0,1) and all of those and don' tick update MMTAs, give it a GUID and just hit commit. I learned how to do that with multiple OBJDs from a tutorial here on object creation. Should I be copying the GUID from the main GUID into fallback GUIDs and Diagonal GUIDs?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#11 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 1:36 AM
When checking boxes in OW you need to check to pull wallmasks, that is what cuts out the wall. You want to get your new GUID before you update MMATs, updating this places your new GUID in your MMATs, but otherwise you don't update MMATs on other OBJDs after getting the GUID. And you will need to copy GUIDs from straight and diagonal, Numenor has a tutorial about that. Leave the fallback alone.

Straight GUID -> Diagonal GUID in diagonal mesh
Diagonal GUID -> Grid Align GUID in straight mesh.
Banned
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 1:52 AM
Hmm it still didn't work, I must be doing something wrong. I will send you the file in pm HL, then you can maybe fix it for me, if that's okay with you. And tell me what I did wrong. I always set the clone options to default when making new objects.
Zombie Socks
#13 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 3:03 AM
I think that's a really bad habit to get into. Whenever you make a new object, 99.999999999% of the time it should NEVER be a default.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Banned
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 3:12 AM
That's how I was taught to do it when I first learned meshing. What should the clone screen look like when making custom objects?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#15 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 3:43 AM
Whether or not something is going to be a default depends on what your making and the use for it. This rice paper glass may bother some and they want it clear, while others like the rice paper. As far as uploading I would do both. Some people like to replace all the stuff in game with something else, personal preference.

Link to Numenor's tutorial about linking straight and diagonal, because if your going to create a non-default window you should do the diagonal as well.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=82075

You've got the GUIDs incorrect for your non-main OBJDs. The diagonal and Grid align should be 0x00100000 & 0x00000000, but those were not what made the glass not show. You forgot to perform Fix Integrity on your non-default, that's why it's not working.

In regards to cloning, there is a little link button right under the word "Start" that says "Set Defaults". Click that to have the default checkboxes marked for normal new object clones. When doing defaults, I usually have all boxes unchecked. Sometimes I tick the Pull Wallmasks or Create a stand-alone, depends on what I want I am looking for and what the OW is pulling for me.
Banned
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
In regards to cloning, there is a little link button right under the word "Start" that says "Set Defaults". Click that to have the default checkboxes marked for normal new object clones. When doing defaults, I usually have all boxes unchecked. Sometimes I tick the Pull Wallmasks or Create a stand-alone, depends on what I want I am looking for and what the OW is pulling for me.

That's what I always do, but according to WWW, that's not right.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#17 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 6:44 AM
No, I *think* what www means is you should be making new objects and not defaults, but I'm not sure. But that is subjective to what you want the end result to be and how much of the original stuff you want to change. I've created lots of defaults to override EAxis screwups.

It sounds like you have the correct boxes checked when making a new clone object though.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: do not delete - contains useful info for meshers