Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:05 AM
Default Ocean Eyes: An experiment in not failing as much
Okay, so I decided to make my first set of eyes! (those recolors back in my exchange days don't count, really they don't) I'm using a toned down version of Anva's sclera and my own iris. Well, not totally true. This is the eye with Anva's sclera edited:

And this is a sclera mess of my own making:

I've been nitpicking you guys long enough, so I guess it's you guys' turn! Which sclera looks better (although I think I know the answer to this) and what can I do to improve the eyes? Also, I'm not sure if the pictures are big enough, but I really hope they are.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:07 AM
Hahaha! It's our turn to bitch now!!! *malefic laugh*
First sclera! And you need to add some "sparkles".
The iris seems good but we need a little more closer pics
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:09 AM
Sparkles? Uh? What? *so confused*

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Inventor
#4 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:11 AM
Those pretty white dotes *searchs in -Shady- profile*

Maybe "shine" is the word
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:15 AM
Oooooh. Highlights. Well... That's the thing. I am totally confused as to where I should put them. I want very mild highlighting on these (since there are so few good eyes without major shine). Shady's eyes are lovely, but they're just so dang shiny that I almost never use them. It's just too much shine.

Inventor
#6 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:17 AM
Maybe one or two little dots, like my Amy's eyes.
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:19 AM
Yes, that sounds good. But where to put them? That's mainly what I'm floundering over right now.

Inventor
#8 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:22 AM
Like these maybe? I put two versions to reference. Do you like the highlights in my Camila's eyes? Those are not quite bright and are based on real eyes.

PS: Paint dots... ugh
Screenshots
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:29 AM
You need to let the highlight on the iris be your guide. An iris is basically bowl-shaped as far as highlights go, so the white highlight on the surface of the eye should be directly opposite the brightest part of the iris. So on yours, the brightest part is the bottom right, so the highlight should be on the top left. But you also can't put it too high since there is a bit of shadow from the top lid. The placement of the largest cluster of white on the top blue pic of Shady's posted there by Anubis is about right for yours, maybe a bit lower. Use a brush with relatively hard edges at about a 30-50% opacity - shine doesn't have to be fully opaque.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:32 AM
Hah! That actually doesn't look half bad with paint!

I tried the first one, but it just made it look like the iris was bleeding into the pupil, so I tried two dots on the second eye instead. Did it turn out okay?

Just read HP's advice. I never knew that before! Is this the placement you meant?

I so hate the bodyshop default model.

Inventor
#11 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:37 AM
That was a good advice for everybody here HP, I never thought on that!
PS: There isn't a replacement for the mannequin on this site?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#12 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:36 AM
Yep, pretty much - maybe just a little lower. My biggest gripe with a lot of custom eyes is that the highlight is too high and it makes the eyes look like they're bugging out rather than set into the eye orbit. A lower eye highlight helps some with that, since it creates the appearance of an upper-lid shadow on the top of the eye.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th May 2009 at 12:59 AM
There's a replacement for the model's skin. I don't think anyone has replaced the model yet.

I moved them down a bit, but if I move the highligts any further down it looks strange. The highlights are curved slightly, so it doesn't look right when it goes into the middle of the pupil. Luckily the shading on the eyes isn't that strong, but if it still looks weird please tell me!

Inventor
#14 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:04 AM
A little more shiny maybe...
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:22 AM

Edited the outside of the eyes a little and added more shine. I think that's all the shine I can handle, though. Anything to say about the textures? I used kamikitten's iris as a base, but then I flood-filled the iris, reshaped the pupil and changed the shape of the iris completley so I don't think anything of her original work remains. The rest was photoshop filters, sharpening and brush tools. I'll probably credit her anyway, though, because she was the inspiration for this set. Her glass-glint eyes are currently my defaults.

Inventor
#16 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:26 AM
The texture is perfect in my opinion, maybe you have to wait for... wait a second... you're nitpick girl! So if you think that they are done, maybe they are done... To me these eyes are more like sadly than "oceanic", don't you think?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:31 AM
hmm, could we see it in-game? it seems really dull atm, but maybe it's just bodyshop?

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:34 AM
Trust me, nitpick girl has already got a hold of this. That's why there's currently 12 different versions of this eye on my desktop, all exactly the same color.

'Sadly?' *laughs* Oceanic was actually a spur of the moment thing because 'blue eye' sounded boring. I'm still going to need you guys' opinions on the different colors too! I wanted to make a black and several browns for this set because finding browns and blacks for most eyes is hard. People tend to go for the 'pretty' colors and ignore how nice browns and blacks are.

Hmmm... Theme theme... Any idea for a theme I could use for these eyes? Right now I'm thinking of using the sins...

Mad Poster
#19 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:38 AM
maybe eye candy? *elbow elbow* get it? :D

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:41 AM
Hey, I get it!
EDIT: Curses. That has already been used.

Inventor
#21 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:41 AM
Yes! Differents kinds of brown! I've never found dark&light brown eyes like mine in his site
Sins? *thinks* Nop, maybe another theme... like continents? or countries? You know... african eyes, russian eyes, indian eyes, etc...

EDIT: Oh, you're going to make candy eyes... I get it too...
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:44 AM
Oooo. Sounds nice. I'm still open for suggestions, though.

Instructor
#23 Old 18th May 2009 at 4:24 AM
Make them in flavors! Lickerish for Black, and blueberry fur blue, and coco for brown and so on..... Delicious eyes! OHHHH!!!! you could make them jelly-belly flavors!!!!!

I don't take requests. :-)

"You with this lovely baby blue/green huge eyes and this evil touch...couldn't be more adorable" - My Vera
Zombie Socks
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:49 PM
Bertie Botts Every Flavor Eyes? *laughs*

Mad Poster
#25 Old 19th May 2009 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wicked_poppies
Make them in flavors! Lickerish for Black, and blueberry fur blue, and coco for brown and so on..... Delicious eyes! OHHHH!!!! you could make them jelly-belly flavors!!!!!

My favourite Jelly Belly flavour used to be popcorn.

I can't quite see that as an eye colour...
Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info
Page 1 of 3